TravelTalkOnline

Fire on the Mountain

Posted By: DnCnVA

Fire on the Mountain - 06/26/2015 03:30 AM

Last Wednesday the 17th, we awoke to see the upper part of Red Rock (the 265m tall mountain behind Mont Vernon) on fire. Although small flames were sometimes visible, it was mostly a line of smoke across the upper 1/3 of the mountain. Later in the day, the smoky fire had spread down the mountain, and appeared to threaten dwellings in French Cul-de-Sac. By the next day, it was over. Some people we talked to thought it was natural, others thought arson, and others thought it might be a controlled burn or might've been started by embers from the dump on the other side of the mountain. We checked the Daily Herald but couldn't find any information about it. Anyone else see this or know what happened ?
Posted By: tmsxmsails

Re: Fire on the Mountain - 06/26/2015 11:55 AM

I was at anchor off Pinel having my morning coffee and looked up and saw this. At first it looked like early morning mist on the mountain but then the smoke got darker and I started seeing flames.

I took some (shaky) video that I could post if anyone wants to see it.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Fire on the Mountain - 06/26/2015 12:11 PM

It was in the full version of the Daily Herald, but I can't remember exactly what it was.
Posted By: Barbara

Re: Fire on the Mountain - 06/26/2015 12:58 PM

it was a fire that started in the French side dump and quickly spread.
http://www.thedailyherald.com/index.php?...s&Itemid=54
Posted By: robdom

Re: Fire on the Mountain - 06/29/2015 11:39 PM

Unfortunately, it's the "dump" where they occasionally have to burn their garbage. Sorry for lifting the veil...
Posted By: soualigacapt

Re: Fire on the Mountain - 06/30/2015 08:38 PM

They don't burn garbage on purpose. It's an accident when a fire starts.
Posted By: Barbara

Re: Fire on the Mountain - 06/30/2015 09:31 PM

absolutely true! they have a very nice recycling set up on the French side
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline