TravelTalkOnline

Connecting through Philly

Posted By: Wingman

Connecting through Philly - 09/21/2015 12:05 AM

Looking at flights coming home early April from SXM. There's a flight on American going through Philly with a little over an hour and a half. Was wondering if that's enough time to get bags and clear customs. I've connected through Philly before, never international, and I know it can get hectic there. Thank you for any comments.
Posted By: johnhill

Re: Connecting through Philly - 09/21/2015 02:51 AM

Wingman-we have done it 3 of the last 4 years and it was always one hour through the crowd and arrival at our departing gate. I don't think you will have a problem,
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Connecting through Philly - 09/21/2015 12:16 PM

Could be tight, coming home, especially if your outbound flight from SXM is late! Are you the kind that stresses about these things ahead of time? I would be stressed the whole time, worrying I wouldn't make the connection, so I personally probably wouldn't book it, as I would destroy my whole 'island feeling' coming home. If you would be able to just go with the flow, you probably would make it ok.
Posted By: wildbill069

Re: Connecting through Philly - 09/21/2015 12:39 PM

Should be good but depends how may other International flights arrivals there are .
And if you have to go to F terminal its a trip all by it self .
Posted By: PreK176

Re: Connecting through Philly - 09/21/2015 01:37 PM

In April it could be busy as lots of folks travel then. On a good day you should be ok. But as Carol said if your flight leaves SXM late your connection time will be tight. We have found that more and more flights, both domestic and international, have been delayed causing us some stress. If you end up booking this flight and your flight leaving SXM is delayed I would get to a ticket agent in SXM who can help you with another connection flight.
Posted By: SandyandBill

Re: Connecting through Philly - 09/21/2015 08:38 PM

We've made that connection several times in about the same timeframe (90 minutes) but it can be a nail biter. As previously mentioned, if your flight is delayed out of sxm or there is a long line at C & I, the heart rate goes up. Phily is huge and as WildBill said, terminal F is one heck of trek. There are bus shuttles that run within the perimeter of the airport (inside security) that can schlep you from the F terminal to either the C or A terminals. They have definitely saved some wear and tear on the old bods.

Here's a link to the shuttle info:

http://www.phl.org/passengerinfo/Pages/shuttle.aspx
Posted By: Wingman

Re: Connecting through Philly - 09/22/2015 10:48 AM

Thank you everyone for the input. I think we'll take the safe route and come home through CLT. It'll give us an extra hour on SXM, just get us home later.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline