TravelTalkOnline

Orient Construction Update

Posted By: mprevo

Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 11:00 AM

Here are some more pics of the construction.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag110/mprevo/Construction%207/13_zpsdtyrgq0i.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag110/mprevo/Construction%207/10_zpsdbk1ng9z.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag110/mprevo/Construction%207/9_zpsgm6d38ct.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag110/mprevo/Construction%207/11_zpsvzvzbpiz.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag110/mprevo/Construction%207/5_zps1nlarg28.jpg[/img]
Posted By: lobstaroll123

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 11:37 AM

Thanks for sharing. We arrive in April.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 11:48 AM

Seeing that at least one of the units has sheet rock installed makes me believe that some may actually be ready more or less on schedule.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 11:48 AM

Thank you for the pictures, they were great.
Posted By: JohnandBev

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 11:56 AM

Great pics - Thanks

Lots of progress, I think I see:
1st pod [south end], beginning of wall stain /paint on the siding
parking area behind being created - with maybe some power conduits showing on a narrow boulevard by / between the parking areas?
last pod [North end], no siding, but roofing started
fencing being installed on the rock faced wall and stair framing beginning to be installed
sand! below the wall
concrete pads between the pods and wall for? - though I think we saw that in a previous pic

Those with better construction knowledge than me will have a better idea of what this means for project status - but to me, if they open the pods as they are done, the 1st group [south end] will be ready by the end of Nov - but is it fair or even enjoyable to patrons to have construction next door - on the other hand the businesses need to get up and running!
Thanks again - Jan 28 to Feb 14 for us

J&B
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 11:56 AM

Great pics...very informative and thanks
Posted By: judymike

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 12:54 PM

Im not very optimistic about being able to walk along the beach after the construction is complete.

To me, the relatively steep slope of the beach at the water's edge and the closeness of the wall suggest that in a short time this area will be like the 'beach' in front of Pedro's -impossible sometimes, difficult most times, to transgress.
Posted By: JulieandKarl

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 01:04 PM

They look very enclosed. Hopefully there will be outdoor seating for the restaurants.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 01:10 PM

Thanks for the pictures! The first one looks relatively close to completion, to my untrained eye. But I guess they couldn't serve regardless, in the middle of a construction zone..
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 01:33 PM

Thank you for the great pictures. But what have the French done to the tropical character of Orient Beach??? These structures are really ugly to say the least.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 02:07 PM

I am guessing that all the concrete pads are footers for wooden decks used for dining. Just hoping there will be enough shade available during dining time. time will tell.

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 02:22 PM

[Linked Image]

Huhm, what was there before didn't look too tropical to me. I hope (and think) the new structures will be blank slates that the restaurants will be able to customize.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 02:30 PM

I have to agree, Carol. The degree of negativity about this is astounding.
Posted By: BoatGuy

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 02:30 PM

Is the beach road blocked at the gate behind Kon Tiki?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 02:43 PM

GaKaye said:
I have to agree, Carol. The degree of negativity about this is astounding.

Seems to be the direction a lot of posters take with most Sxm undertakings. Remember all the negativity on the causeway project.
Posted By: crazycajun

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 03:20 PM

Pretty awful in my opinion...looks like cookie cutter section 8 housing! Looks like they were designed on napkin while having lunch at Kon Tiki. Not suggesting that what was there was perfect but they obviously could have done so much better!
Posted By: Cathyg

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 05:02 PM

By the time they get them painted and the decor up...they will look just fine.

The bottom line is...they are back from the water...and better protected. that's what counts.

The beauty of Orient beach has never been about the buildings...if it is...you have been looking the wrong direction.

the beauty is the beautiful turquoise water against the white sand and powder blue sky.

Club Orient is not pretty....the buildings are not the most beautiful. But to me...when i get "home" to my mini suite.....it is the most beautiful place on earth!

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 05:08 PM

Agreed, look at the water, not the other way!
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 05:18 PM

When this project was first announced, I thought "Oh, no, say it ain't so". And, there will be some of that funkiness that we'll surely miss. But, I've come (nearly) 180 on this and was hoping that they would be finished before our upcoming trip - in 15 days. Sadly, that doesn't appear likely. Nobody has seen the finished product - just an artist's sketch. But, they will be further back, there will be improved parking, and the structural integrity will be much better in case of another storm.
Posted By: moxie

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 05:33 PM

We can only hope that the operators will put their own Caribbean touches on them-I'm sure that they will.
Posted By: gotaluvit

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 07:02 PM

Remember, the four "original" beach bars on Orient were essentially identical when they were built but they did not stay that way for long.

As far as outside seating, the original plans showed awnings in front of all the buildings and the pads you see are for supports or decks that would include the supports.

Neither the new Kon Tiki or Bikini look much like they used to and they are plenty tropical for me.
Posted By: Sun4MnM

Re: Orient Construction Update - 10/29/2015 09:50 PM

Thanks for the update...pics show progress continues being made. Looking forward to strolling the beach and seeing the finished product!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline