TravelTalkOnline

Religious truck at scenice overlook gone

Posted By: weeks5051

Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/14/2015 06:49 PM

On our way to Philipsburg from Cole Bay, we saw that the truck at the top of the hill with all of the religious sayings and the Star of David was gone, replaced by a bar serving drinks.
Does anyone know what the story was and why it's gone?
Posted By: moxie

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/14/2015 07:04 PM

that's a great spot for a bar
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/14/2015 07:08 PM

Wow, that truck had been there a LONG time! I would be interested to hear what happened also.
Posted By: phillygirl7

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/14/2015 08:10 PM

So many cruise ship passengers on buses stop there for pictures, I would not be surprised if a drink place was put there to serve those customers. I always feel a little for the look of the people in tour buses, they don't look happy at all. Must be first timers or not overly ambulatory to get on a bus instead of some of the other excursions. But I digress, I will miss that bus, it was a fixture there for a long time, with a really great view too.
Posted By: kish

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/14/2015 08:12 PM

Last month it was empty and they seemed to be doing some renovation. The large sign was still there, leaning against the side of the building. I thought it would go up again when the painting was completed.
Posted By: january

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/14/2015 08:45 PM

The olden days are now officially over.

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/14/2015 09:46 PM

maybe the owner retired- it never seemed very busy so perhaps he wasn't making much money
Posted By: JohnandBev

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/14/2015 09:58 PM

We have driven past the sign and truck since 2008. Always meant to stop. Took a pic once when stopped in traffic, but never stopped in to check it out
We would also see tour buses there
What was the attraction, apart from the view?
J&B
Posted By: SXMNorm

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/15/2015 12:55 AM

I thought I read the owner died a while back.

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/15/2015 03:57 PM

That would be too bad-I didn't think that he was all that old. The attraction is the view- it's beautiful; well worth the stop. I keep taking pics even though they are all the same.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/15/2015 07:31 PM

Same here Moxie. I love that view!
Posted By: SharonfromSXM

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/16/2015 01:49 AM

You are correct Norm the owner passed away about 6 months or so ago....One less fun landmark of SXM!! That whole area by the hill looks nothing like it did 10 years ago when Midass was still there LOL!!!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/16/2015 01:53 AM

I for one am happy to see the Midea$$ corner gone! The roundabout is a big improvement there.
Posted By: jrr1148

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/16/2015 12:57 PM

In the old days (1980's)I don't remember a guardrail. It's too bad about the owner. Like a previous poster said "the old days are now officially gone" Is Air Liendek next (the airplane bar at the entrance to P'burg)?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/16/2015 01:09 PM

Unless I am mistaken, Air Lekkerbek closed a while back from what I recall.

read about it here
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Religious truck at scenice overlook gone - 12/16/2015 04:24 PM

jrr1148 said:
In the old days (1980's)I don't remember a guardrail. It's too bad about the owner. Like a previous poster said "the old days are now officially gone" Is Air Liendek next (the airplane bar at the entrance to P'burg)?

We don't recall a guardrail back in 1979.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline