TravelTalkOnline

Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car

Posted By: BarbFrank

Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/20/2016 08:30 PM

Any recommendations for a day rental at the port? Any pros or cons?
Posted By: LINNY

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/20/2016 08:46 PM

Try Travel Car Rental. We rent from Steve when we are staying on the island, never a problem. He is a sponsor here.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/20/2016 10:07 PM

Coastal Car Rental rents from the cruise port and has good reviews.
Posted By: molldoll

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/20/2016 10:08 PM

We wanted to rent a car from the port last year for the day as we were on a cruise. We wanted the car to get back and forth to Karacter. The price was almost 4 times as much as a daily rental would cost if you were there for 7 days. We had to take a shuttle to town (yes it cost money) and find a cab from there. Cab driver didn't even know where Karacter was and we made arrangements for him to pick up back up at a specific time. He never showed up so Karacter called a cab for us to get back to the ship.

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/20/2016 10:19 PM

Thats what I was afraid of I always rent from Unity when I am there for 2 weeks but Michael does not rent from the cruise port
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/20/2016 11:24 PM

A daily rental is obviously going to be a lot more per day than a weekly rental. For a cruise passenger, I do have to ask why you would even want to rent a car, from the standpoint of how much time it takes to rent, turn the car in, etc., versus just getting a cab. As well as we know the island, I think I would just get a cab to where I wanted to go.

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/21/2016 12:56 PM

I know its going to cost more money and that's ok. We have been visiting St. Martin every year for 2 weeks since 1983. We are cruising with friends who want to see the whole island and make some stops here and there. we dock at 8 a.m. and leave at 5 p.m. so I figured we could drive around for 4 hours. I have emailed those that we suggested but have not heard back. Tks.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/21/2016 01:04 PM

OK, hope it works out for you. Another option might be to contact TTOL sponsor Wilfred Brooks and ask him how much he would charge to take you around for the day. Wouldn't have to worry about parking on Front Street or in Marigot, and wouldn't have to worry about drinking. Spending an extra 10 minutes parking or walking from a parking space far away isn't a big deal if you're on island, but it would make me cranky on a ship, knowing I only have so much time. Regardless, enjoy your day with friends, showing off the island!
Posted By: Eric_Hill

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/21/2016 01:38 PM

Be sure to check with Travel Rental Car, they list on their website that they service the pier. Have no idea about the cost.

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/21/2016 02:36 PM

I have Wilfred's number and if I don't hear back from anyone I may contact him.

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/21/2016 02:37 PM

Thanks Eric I did send them an email
Posted By: Teresasxm

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/22/2016 12:12 PM

We usually visit St Maarten for one or two weeks but recently I arrived on a cruise ship with a group of friends. There was no way I was going to stay in P'Burg all day so I rounded everyone up and headed to the car rental stands in the cruise port. I had checked prices online before I left and found a day rate I liked (it was between $50 to $60 US I recall). Yes, a little pricey for one day but I wanted the freedom four wheels of my own gave me. Paperwork was quick and soon I had my car and was zooming all around the island showing my friends my most favorite places. There are good options for you above but I wouldn't hesitate to rent from the cruise ship area again.
Posted By: SXMNorm

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/22/2016 12:29 PM

Although I use angela@horizoncarrentals.com for my weekly rentals, she does do a lot of day rents. I think it's $25./day, but not sure how current that price is and whether any discounts are available.

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/23/2016 12:13 AM

Thanks all. I heard back from Hertz its about 75 a day
Contacted Travel Car Rental Steve. Much more reasonable at about $45 cars located by Bobby's Marian. Going to go with him. Will let you know how it turned out.
Posted By: gtaylor

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/23/2016 12:39 AM

Teresasxm said:
We usually visit St Maarten for one or two weeks but recently I arrived on a cruise ship with a group of friends. There was no way I was going to stay in P'Burg all day so I rounded everyone up and headed to the car rental stands in the cruise port. I had checked prices online before I left and found a day rate I liked (it was between $50 to $60 US I recall). Yes, a little pricey for one day but I wanted the freedom four wheels of my own gave me. Paperwork was quick and soon I had my car and was zooming all around the island showing my friends my most favorite places. There are good options for you above but I wouldn't hesitate to rent from the cruise ship area again.

And you used ???????

gary
Posted By: Teresasxm

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/24/2016 12:10 PM

I don't recall Gary sorry. However the rental car companies were all lined up in a row in booths and I'm sure anyone could walk around and secure a good deal for a car. I booked online before I left and the people in the booth were waiting for me with my car.

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/24/2016 10:36 PM

Thanks LLINY we went with Steve at Travel Rent a car will meet us with a sign $49.09 no deposit. Will report back when I return. Nice Guy.
Posted By: LINNY

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/25/2016 12:11 AM

Hope all works out for you.....Steve has always been very reasonable and fair with us
Posted By: WBL_Couple

Re: Cruise Ship Port Rent A Car - 08/25/2016 01:45 AM

Email Dave @ Coastal...they have a rental facility right at the port (have used him both for long-term rentals and for day rentals). Dependable service, and the price is lower if you reserve in advance. His email is:
info@coastalcarrental.com
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline