TravelTalkOnline

Safety of Simpson Bay Beach condo at night

Posted By: tublecane

Safety of Simpson Bay Beach condo at night - 11/29/2016 06:57 PM

We are renting a condo on the beach at Simpson Bay. Its a small condo complex with 4 units that open up onto a pool which then goes right onto the beach. I've seen so many people saying don't walk the beach at night, it got me wondering what the safety is of the condo! I'm sure the door has locks and that being inside is safe, but will we be able to hang out at the pool (our outside deck) or even on the beach right in front of our place at night, or is it not recommended? What about a night swim right in front of our place? I'm assuming that is not recommended.

The name of the condo is Sea Belle Villa.
Posted By: WWII

Re: Safety of Simpson Bay Beach condo at night - 11/29/2016 07:07 PM

We never had any problems when we did the same.
Posted By: jamiegarrett761

Re: Safety of Simpson Bay Beach condo at night - 11/29/2016 08:07 PM

Where in Simpson Bay? Is it "before" the bridge from the airport side? If so, I would be leery about walking along the beach at night but, if there is ample lighting around your patio/pool area, I would feel pretty safe hanging out in the evenings. If it is the "other" side of the bridge (toward or beyond Simpson Bay Resort), I'd feel a little safer hanging out and possibly even walking on the beach at night. We stay at Flamingo and often walk the beach down to BBB and Topper's and have never had any problems (there IS a spot where you have to get off the beach and either walk through SBR or along the road before you can get back on the beach). Just be vigilant wherever you are and you should be fine.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Safety of Simpson Bay Beach condo at night - 11/29/2016 10:00 PM

Based on your later statement of the exact condo, I would NOT swim at night, for sure. When you're talking about being on your outside deck at night, what time are you talking? Are you talking 10 PM or 2 AM? 10 PM you're probably ok, 2 AM, no. Do you know whether there is a security guard for the condos? I would doubt it, with that small a complex. Just be careful if you're outside at night that you don't wander off the deck and leave your doors wide open for someone to walk right in when you can't see them, and steal your stuff.

As far as inside, the most important thing is PLEASE lock all your doors and windows when you retire. If they provide a broom handle thing to put in the sliding glass door channel, use it! It is possible that the condo has electronic storm shutters. If so, the property managers may recommend you use those. That I probably personally wouldn't bother to do, as I hate to wake up in a 'dungeon', but I would keep it locked at night.

I am probably more anal about these things than other people are, but I feel that taking some extra precautions and something NOT happening is worth it to me. As always, don't leave anything in the car either, regardless of where it is parked.
Posted By: Klem

Re: Safety of Simpson Bay Beach condo at night - 11/29/2016 10:49 PM

If you do decide to go swimming in the ocean at night...my wife and I used to do it all the time at our resort. Stopped abruptly one night when a friend and I decided to go for a swim and something had happened to the lighting and there was a shadow over the area where I decided to enter the water. I went on in and it was like entering an acid bath. Next morning there were tons of baby jellyfish washed up on the beach. So, look before you leap...my experience can be filed under "young and stupid".
Posted By: candu

Re: Safety of Simpson Bay Beach condo at night - 11/30/2016 12:15 AM

Have stayed at a number of places on Simpson Bay between the airport and the bridge. We have never had a problem walking on the beach or going for a late swim. There are no zombies or boogeymen wandering the beach at night. "The only thing to fear is fear itself." (FDR)
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Safety of Simpson Bay Beach condo at night - 11/30/2016 04:23 PM

OK, tried to clean up this thread. Let's get back to the original question.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Safety of Simpson Bay Beach condo at night - 11/30/2016 04:31 PM

Not familiar with the specific condo but I am familiar with the area. I would probably NOT walk the beach at night and I doubt I would in most areas on the island. Walking the main street an night should be fine. You are in a pretty residential area and it is not well lighted.

The beach is very nice in that area and you should be fine at the pool. I would keep doors locked at all times as a precaution.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline