TravelTalkOnline

Drone use in SXM

Posted By: jrr1148

Drone use in SXM - 01/15/2017 01:50 PM

Last year I acquired a quadcopter drone (SUAS)and have subsequently, after training, have been certified by the FAA as a SUAS Remote Pilot. Is anyone aware of restrictions (other than usual - distance from airport, altitude, etc.) imposed by the governments of both sides of island? If unaware, who would you suggest I contact? Thanks.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Drone use in SXM - 01/15/2017 02:53 PM

flying a drone over Orient might be frowned upon
Posted By: RICKnGRACE_LI_NY

Re: Drone use in SXM - 01/15/2017 04:18 PM

There is someone who has used a drone over the harbor in Phillipsburg who posts on TTOL sometimes. I have seen the drone video. However I can't remember his TTOL user name. I think he is a Charter Sail Boat Captain who travels the Islands. I want to say his name is Rick also, but just not sure.

Anyone know who I am talking about? My guess is he knows some of the rules. Maybe you can contact the airport to see if there are other restrictions you should know about, other than common courtesy.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Drone use in SXM - 01/15/2017 04:23 PM

His name is Rick Moore and he has a YouTube channel

I can't recall his username here.
Posted By: joyfully

Re: Drone use in SXM - 01/15/2017 04:26 PM

Ambient Real Life.
Posted By: RICKnGRACE_LI_NY

Re: Drone use in SXM - 01/15/2017 04:29 PM

I had the Rick part correct. You would think that would be easy for me! LOL
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Drone use in SXM - 01/15/2017 04:31 PM

CaptainRick

I remembered!!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Drone use in SXM - 01/15/2017 05:31 PM

A drone hovered over the Club O beach for several minutes while we were there in December. I'm for giving the security folk access to a shotgun.
Posted By: JMSH

Re: Drone use in SXM - 01/15/2017 08:10 PM

This past Thursday there was a drone being used on Orient near Bikini Beach...no one seemed upset about it
Posted By: jrr1148

Re: Drone use in SXM - 01/15/2017 10:19 PM

I am well aware of the sensibilities in regards to Orient, and will respect the members privacy.I am aware of Rick Moore and subscribe to his video blogs. He did test fly a drone at Kim Sha Beach and in Simpson Lagoon - apparently too close to the Airport according to U.S. FAA standards (although he may have received Tower permission). I'll attempt to contact him.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline