TravelTalkOnline

Violent crime is increasing daily

Posted By: johngret

Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 04:39 PM

PHILIPSBURG--The Special Robbery Unit has added to its workload two more cases having to do with two separate armed robberies that took place last week Thursday.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 05:02 PM

Thanks, but you need to post a link versus copyrighted and word for word from the newspaper.

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/64107-violent-robberies-under-investigation
Posted By: irina

Re: Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 05:26 PM

Johngret,

How long have you been going to Sint Maarten?
Just curious.
Cheers
irina
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 06:11 PM

Let's face it folks, crime is on the increase!!
Posted By: marge

Re: Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 06:25 PM

Irina,
I was thinking the same. From someone who grew up in the inner city, I must admit that gentleman has made a lot of assumptions. He assumed that since his car was approached it was for a car jacking (where would the car go in all the traffic in Simpson Bay?). He assumed that they were "Caribbean". He assumed that they were ...his words...well dressed,therefore gang members. ( what constitutes well dressed???).
I don't for a minute feel he did not feel threatened, but really, car jacking?
MR. John, do you have anything good to report? Just asking!
Posted By: pattyrose

Re: Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 06:41 PM

Thank you Irina,I have noticed a lot of negative posts from hm including Rum and Peas
Posted By: kim

Re: Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 06:53 PM

On the increase or because of the Internet we hear about it more. A few years ago it was blamed on the "illegals" on the island. Is that still the case or is it more kids with nothing better to do because of lack of opportunities?
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 06:55 PM

My vote is with the latter

Re: Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 07:10 PM

Both.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 07:13 PM

Agreed, regardless of what the reason is, it's a fact.
Posted By: johngret

Re: Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 07:16 PM

I don't think that by denying that crime is on the rise will do anybody any good.

I have been going here on and off for the past 6 years. Is there a limit under which one is not allowed to talk about a subject?

Regarding Rhum and Peas I also made some very positive comments about other places. All I said was that the service was very slow and the menu uninteresting.

A little more openness could help.

By the way, I know a carjacking when I see one.

Re: Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 07:24 PM

Hey, I never denied there was any crime issue.

You can talk about the topic of your choice but not all is negative about the island. I have been coming here for 26 years and over 40 visits, LOTS of changes. Some good and some bad.

My only issue was with you cutting and pasting word for word copyrighted material. That is a potential legal issue for this board.
Posted By: Jasperben

Re: Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 07:25 PM

I totally agree, is he getting everyone worked up, by making mountains out of molehills. Very negative on everything.
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 07:40 PM

I have been going to the island for 30 years. The crime has steadily been increasing. And as of the last few years crime has been increasing exponentially.

Years ago you never seen jewelry shops robbed during the day full of customers. Not a solo robber either, now they are coming in 4's and armed. That is a dangerous situation in my books. My wife is from a third world country and the additional crime has got her attention.

And as far as calling and waiting for the police. I feel that is pretty much a joke and also it is after the fact.

That is my common sense.

W.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Violent crime is increasing daily - 03/06/2017 07:53 PM

Sorry "mountains out of molehills"?? No. I will close this one here because it has degenerated into arguments, but to deny that St. Maarten/St. Martin has serious crime problems is to bury one's head in the sand.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline