TravelTalkOnline

Anyone sailed st martin in july

Posted By: bama

Anyone sailed st martin in july - 04/15/2017 01:38 PM

We are planning our sailing trip for this July for my birthday 50th I want to hear others experience sailing mid July. We have sailed bvi many times but never st martin. Will be in a CAT once we decide which one😜
Posted By: bama

Re: Anyone sailed st martin in july - 04/15/2017 09:20 PM

Anyone
Posted By: jandj

Re: Anyone sailed st martin in july - 04/15/2017 11:18 PM

Yes - I've done it on a 47 foot cat - sailed (motored / sailed) over and back from the BVI's with no problems what so ever. July is not my choice for sailing in the Caribbean because you're into hurricane season. But we had no problems. Have done that back and forth BVI's / SXM three times and never had a problem. Just be aware of any weather systems east of the islands before you commit to a crossing. Had a great time. Sailed to SXM, then to St Bart's and then to SABA before heading back to the BVI's. Spent some time on each of the islands. Enjoy.
Posted By: OhDrinkBoy

Re: Anyone sailed st martin in july - 04/16/2017 12:23 AM

you can have a wide range of weather in july. dead calm to tropical waves. have had 3 waves in 10 days...gusts in low 40s, high 20s sustained. in these conditions it can get pretty sporty. if you sail out of oyster pond, see if you can get a pilot from sunsail or moorings. in big seas the entrance is tricky. watched 1 boat go on the reef....he wouldn't take a pilot.
Posted By: jandj

Re: Anyone sailed st martin in july - 04/16/2017 12:52 PM

Second that caution about exit / return at Oyster Pond. You really have to be on top of it on returning with a following sea. The route is a bit tricky without much room for error.
Posted By: sailbynight

Re: Anyone sailed st martin in july - 04/17/2017 12:30 AM

It is super quiet that time of year. You can usually just go alongside in St Barth which is nice.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline