TravelTalkOnline

Flights to Cuba from SXM

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Flights to Cuba from SXM - 05/11/2017 01:39 PM

Daily Herald story Some here might be interested in a combination SXM and Cuba vacation??? I can't tell if they're talking a nonstop from SXM to Cuba, or a connection through Haiti, but it is interesting nonetheless.
Posted By: KGB

Re: Flights to Cuba from SXM - 05/12/2017 05:25 PM

Sure, great idea! It's all about weight management. I think the flights are chartered by Jenny Craig....
You know, you eat like a king for a 10 days in Sxm and then going to Cuba for the weight loss part of your trip... Kinda equals out the calories intake...
Posted By: DavidinChelseaMA

Re: Flights to Cuba from SXM - 05/15/2017 09:44 AM

KGB said:
Sure, great idea! It's all about weight management. I think the flights are chartered by Jenny Craig....
You know, you eat like a king for a 10 days in Sxm and then going to Cuba for the weight loss part of your trip... Kinda equals out the calories intake...

If you've seen Anthony Bourdain on CNN, and his trip to Cuba for his travel/foodie TV show, you'd know your comment is waaaay off. You'd gain more weight in Cuba !!!
Posted By: IknewIwasright

Re: Flights to Cuba from SXM - 05/15/2017 01:09 PM

Cuban food is amazing!
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: Flights to Cuba from SXM - 05/15/2017 02:16 PM

DavidinChelseaMA said:
KGB said:

If you've seen Anthony Bourdain on CNN, and his trip to Cuba for his travel/foodie TV show, you'd know your comment is waaaay off. You'd gain more weight in Cuba !!!

Not for the Cuban people. Check out this New York Times article.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Flights to Cuba from SXM - 05/15/2017 03:46 PM

How very sad. The price the locals have to pay to put food on their table just for the sake of increased tourism!

Re: Flights to Cuba from SXM - 05/15/2017 05:17 PM

DavidinChelseaMA said:
KGB said:

Please allow me to disagree. I have been to Cuba in 2013 and I'm not going back until the commies are out and capitalism is in. I'm not going to discuss the politics here but I can tell you one thing - there is simply not enough food in Cuba to make it good, even at the super duper overpriced all inclusive resorts.
We had also took a private trip to Havana and ate at their famous "commercial private" restaurant. Sure it was edible but I wouldn't say it was anything more that a basic meal.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Flights to Cuba from SXM - 05/15/2017 11:54 PM

so are you saying the all inclusives run out of food? Talking to my Canadian friends, they love the food and the very friendly people. Iberostar, Barcelo and now Starwood is building there, pretty sure they have sufficient food for their guests.
Posted By: DavidinChelseaMA

Re: Flights to Cuba from SXM - 05/16/2017 12:33 AM

KGB said:
DavidinChelseaMA said:
KGB said:

Please allow me to disagree. I have been to Cuba in 2013 and I'm not going back until the commies are out and capitalism is in. I'm not going to discuss the politics here but I can tell you one thing - there is simply not enough food in Cuba to make it good, even at the super duper overpriced all inclusive resorts.
We had also took a private trip to Havana and ate at their famous "commercial private" restaurant. Sure it was edible but I wouldn't say it was anything more that a basic meal.

That article is extremely concerning.... Cuba needs to get its act together, but also the embargo needs to be lifted.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Flights to Cuba from SXM - 05/16/2017 02:02 AM

The four and five star resorts have plenty of food in my experience. Perhaps the less expensive resorts are not as great with regards to food, but you should expect that. I know there was always more food than I could ever eat and lots to drink too and the drinks were never watered down like in some all inclusive in Mexico and elsewhere.

Re: Flights to Cuba from SXM - 05/16/2017 07:17 PM

sail2wind said:
so are you saying the all inclusives run out of food? Talking to my Canadian friends, they love the food and the very friendly people. Iberostar, Barcelo and now Starwood is building there, pretty sure they have sufficient food for their guests.

No, I'm not saying that they run out of food. I'm saying that the food was just very plain and tasteless. And it was painfull to watch locals looking in your mouth when you are eating... Sorry folks, I'm just not a fan of communism and Castro and their way of treating people. It use looks so familiar and hits me close to home... I still have memories of the "bright communist future" promised to me by my former leaders...
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Flights to Cuba from SXM - 05/16/2017 08:26 PM

there is simply "not enough food in Cuba" to make it good, even at the super duper overpriced all inclusive resorts.

kind of what you said
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline