TravelTalkOnline

Seaweed at Orient

Posted By: daveg7

Seaweed at Orient - 05/15/2017 08:57 PM

Haven't seen any recent posts about the seaweed or lack of at Orient.
We are heading down Saturday and curious as to the situation.
Posted By: Jaybird

Re: Seaweed at Orient - 05/15/2017 09:15 PM

The seaweed today everywhere but the Club O beach was bad. It started coming in late yesterday and was 3 feet high in some areas between Pedro's and Coco. They were working to clear it this morning but I did not go that way again this afternoon. I will let you know after our morning walk tomorrow.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Seaweed at Orient - 05/15/2017 10:42 PM

Sounds bad. What do you know about other island beaches, as far as seaweed?
Posted By: Tenn2SXM

Re: Seaweed at Orient - 05/16/2017 02:15 AM

Dawn Beach was bad yesterday. Mullet was fine. Bae Rouge is probably okay. Hope this helps.
Posted By: crmoores

Re: Seaweed at Orient - 05/16/2017 10:43 AM

Starting to look like a repeat of the sargassum event of 2015 along some sections of the coast of the Riviera Maya, and Cozumel, Mexico as well. That was the worst we've ever seen and it impacted the entire Carib from what we've read.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Seaweed at Orient - 05/16/2017 11:01 AM

I sailed from Antigua to the BVI last week and encountered a lot of sargassum patches on that sail, then flew from the BVI to SXM and onwards on the weekend and could see large patches from cruising altitude (FL150 and FL300); something I'd never seen before. But 2015 had the sargassum come in much earlier, so I'm hoping that this is just an isolated event.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Seaweed at Orient - 05/16/2017 11:30 AM

We were on a friends Cat yesterday and went around the whole island. Massive amounts of seaweed floating everywhere. Not looking good.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Seaweed at Orient - 05/16/2017 12:06 PM

Thanks everyone. How is Simpson Bay?
Posted By: Bobinmobile

Re: Seaweed at Orient - 05/17/2017 12:40 AM

Did not see any new seaweed at Club O beach area today. Some small patches imbedded in the sand from the last several days, but nothing to slow down a pleasant walk on the beaches edge.
Was swimming up and down the Club O beach and saw no seaweed in the water, today.
Posted By: Jaybird

Re: Seaweed at Orient - 05/17/2017 11:24 AM

They did a remarkable job cleaning the seaweed from Pedro's to Coco Beach.
Posted By: sunmantwo

Re: Seaweed at Orient - 05/17/2017 01:27 PM

No seaweed to talk about as of last Friday in Simpson Bay.
Posted By: KenW

Re: Seaweed at Orient - 05/17/2017 02:06 PM

Hardly any seaweed on Orient Tuesday. Today lots of it toward the northern end. Not much at all at Club O. Wind must be taking it to the northwest.
Posted By: KenW

Re: Seaweed at Orient - 05/19/2017 09:03 PM

Horrible seaweed today, Friday the 19th, at Orient. Centered at La Playa.
None at Friar.
Posted By: zoe

Re: Seaweed at Orient - 05/20/2017 02:05 PM

Just returned from 2 weeks on Orient. 2 days had seaweed on "sections" of the beach. Thick on the beach and for about 20 yards out. It is what it is depending on the day and the winds/current. All other days were fine. Heard reports of lots of seaweed in Oyster Bay. Spoke to a couple who spent a week in Playa del Carmen and said the beach and the water were entirely unusable when they were there. Seems the Atlantic side beaches bare the brunt of it.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline