TravelTalkOnline

Spirit Air from FLL

Posted By: Annluke

Spirit Air from FLL - 07/17/2017 05:36 PM

Wondering if anyone has used this flight and would recommend it. I live an hour north of there and dread driving to MIA. I have heard many horror stories in general and wonder if I should take a chance.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/17/2017 06:00 PM

Well, if you've heard the horror stories, you know the reasons not to book them. Flights only one day a week, so if your flight is cancelled for whatever reason, it could be several DAYS before you are able to get there. The seats also are among the most uncomfortable I've ever flown in, as too close together. They charge for everything, bags, seats, carry on bags, sodas, etc. I don't know what their prices are running now, but the last time I looked, they weren't that much cheaper than AA. The only good news is that supposedly Southwest and Jet Blue are supposed to start service from FLL to SXM, possibly as early as this winter.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/17/2017 06:17 PM

Your last sentence should have answered your question.
Posted By: Coffee

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/17/2017 07:29 PM

Evidently we have been lucky. We fly Spirit every year to SXM from Myrtle Beach, SC and save almost $750 over other air lines. I agree that the seats are uncomfortable but the flight from Myrtle Beach to Fort Lauderdale is about an Hour and a half and the flight to SXM from there is about 2 and a half hours. Their computers shut down a couple of years ago and we had to spend one night in Fort Lauderdale. We paid $675 (without bags) for this year the first 2 weeks of Oct. for both of us. (Sat. To. Sat.). Hope all goes well.

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/17/2017 07:31 PM

PS: It is cheaper with Spirit to buy at the airport. (About 15 minutes from our house)
Posted By: Annluke

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/17/2017 08:27 PM

Thank you for your replies. I did check the schedules and they do fly to and from the next day now. I also wrote to JetBlue and Southwest to ask them if they planned to fly out of FLL this year and was thanked for my suggestion but they do not have any plans to fly there as of yet. Was hoping.....
Posted By: Susieville

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/18/2017 11:52 AM

After moving from NY to Delray Beach, I took Spirit last January to SXM. Everything went perfect. Yes the seats are small if you are a large person, might be uncomfortable. Right now no other choice. Will be using them again for Jan trip, since from everything I read JB has not announced when they might be starting.

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/18/2017 11:54 AM

No other choice? It's not like FLL and Miami are a great distance apart. Currently we usually drive 3 1/2 hours one way to fly on AA from Miami.

Annluke--also not sure what you're talking about, as far as schedule, they still only fly on Saturday to SXM, as far as I can see.
Posted By: bluejacket

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/18/2017 01:39 PM

Yeah. I can't see anymore than the Saturday flight either. I'm shopping for a flight at Christmas now and am really tempted by the $1000 savings over Delta when you buy 2 tickets.
Actually, my wife talked me down from the ledge. She reminded me of the close call we had a few years back and the feeling we had sitting at FLL thinking we weren't going to make it to SXM during our scheduled vacation. We definitely want to avoid that situation, so we'll pay more. Just hoping we can find a flight that isn't so much more.

Good luck Annluke. I would mos def drive to Miami.

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/18/2017 01:47 PM

Wow, a Christmas flight? That is a time where you definitely don't want to take any chances!! No way I would book Spirit for then!
Posted By: Jerseyshore

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/18/2017 01:53 PM

We live in Palm Beach County. Fly spirit every year from Fll to Sxm. Never a problem( yet) . I fly spirit a lot you just have to know all the tricks. Purchase bags at time of booking . Can't beat the fares. We go back and forth to NJ in the winter usually under $100 RT. You get what you pay for.
Posted By: DougK37614

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/18/2017 10:23 PM

We flew Spirit the first time last weekend from FLL to SXM. I must say it was better than I feared. We booked one larger bag (weight limit is 40 lbs or 10 lbs less than other airlines but enough for us). The flight was on time and $250 less than competitors so saved us $1,000 for four tickets. Seat room okay. They assigned our group of four together on all flights so we did not have to purchase assigned seats. We took empty water bottles and had snacks with us so only purchased one beverage.

Seats do not have any padding. None. They are plastics shells covered in leather but were not uncomfortable. I would fly them again.
Posted By: zeus1963

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/18/2017 10:57 PM

For me lower cost and better flight times from dfw to sxm. No issues yet and have used them a few times.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/19/2017 12:03 AM

We flew the FLL-STT many times when we kept our boat there. We usually paid around $100 each way but we always bought the big front seat for $50 extra. Well worth it to us.
Posted By: beangirl

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/19/2017 01:03 AM

We have used it many times to different places with only an occasional problem. One year my husband return flight from SXM had a problem but they did put them up overnight with. minimal food credits and got a flight out the next day (Sunday) I will use because we are in Florida near FLL and I would chance Spirit out of FLL rather than anything out of Miami! Have had some horrendous flights this year on AA, UA etc. so it's rolling dice anyway. They are very upfront about being a no frills airline. Just my opinion

Re: Spirit Air from FLL - 07/19/2017 01:24 AM

We feel the same way. They have been very good to us especially when they had a problem.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline