TravelTalkOnline

Grocery recommendations??

Posted By: kabs996

Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 02:21 AM

Went to Carrefour near Simpson bay and it smelled so bad in there and was dirty. Can you recommend another supermarket?

Thanks
Posted By: thesimpsons

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 02:36 AM

Le Grand Marche

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 02:39 AM

Where is that one located?
Posted By: thesimpsons

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 02:43 AM

There are three, Bush Rd., Cole Bay and Cupecoy I believe. We always go to the Bush Rd. Store.

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 02:51 AM

The gps Hertz gave me is awful I cannot locate anything on it. Thanks
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 03:34 AM

Carefore in Cole bay is grand marche
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 09:50 AM

kabs996 said:
The gps Hertz gave me is awful I cannot locate anything on it. Thanks

Get a printed map and use that. You do not need a GPS on a 37 sq. mi. island.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 09:54 AM

If I recall correctly, you're staying at SBR? The Market Garden at the bottom of the hill has everything you need. It's a little more expensive than Grand Marche and Carrefour, but not enough to really matter; and it's convenient for you.

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 10:12 AM

Thank you. I went to Carrefour soecificalky knowing it was less expensive. The store really made me question the safety of the foods. Refrigerators didn't seem cold enough etc. smelled like rotting food in there too. I will try Grand Marche next. Thank you! Ruralcarrier. I need to keep my eyes on the roads they drive crazy here ha ha ha

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 11:11 AM

If you are just there for a week or so, the cost of food from one store to another is not going to play a big part. Go to the closest and most convenient location. I beleive Market Garden at the bottom of Billy Folly Rd. offers a 5% discount if you check out prior to 8:00am. You might have to ask about it but I would go there versus running all over the island to save a few $$, IF you are saving any at all.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 12:10 PM

Eric really liked Carrefour this time, but I agree with you about the smell. I prefer Super U, which is in Marigot, or Grand Marche, which is by the roundabout where Mark's is. Super U is EXTREMELY clean and there have been several studies done showing their prices are the lowest on the island. The only knock on them is that you don't find many American products, like chips, etc., there, and it helps if you know some French, as all the labels are in French. Grand Marche has lots of US products and the labels are in English. The Market Garden is closest to you, but I think their prices are very high, especially for wine, and I don't think their selection is very good. As someone said though, unless you're eating in all your meals, Market Garden would probably do. We cook in a LOT and grocery shopping is part of the fun for me!
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 12:35 PM

ruralcarrier said:
If you are just there for a week or so, the cost of food from one store to another is not going to play a big part. Go to the closest and most convenient location. I beleive Market Garden at the bottom of Billy Folly Rd. offers a 5% discount if you check out prior to 8:00am. You might have to ask about it but I would go there versus running all over the island to save a few $$, IF you are saving any at all.

Exactly! Vacation time is too precious to spend it looking to save a few dollars on groceries!

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 01:18 PM

Yep. Actually, some of the smaller stores have better prices on beer and alcohol than the larger stores. We all want a bargain but I am not going to spend 2 hours driving and dealing with traffic to save just a few $$ and lose beach or other time.
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 01:18 PM

Super u in marigot is great.

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 01:22 PM

Everyone vacations differently, but I'm one of the few people who exactly ENJOYS grocery shopping! (on island anyway)..

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 01:23 PM

Carol_Hill said:
Everyone vacations differently, but I'm one of the few people who exactly ENJOYS grocery shopping! (on island anyway)..

Unlike the jewelry stores, unless there is free beer involved, shopping of any kind just doesn't get it!

I do enjoy looking at the displays and price differences when in the groceries but I will not run all over to save a few $$

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 01:27 PM

We live in the back of beyond, so most of our grocery shopping at home is pretty pedestrian. We enjoy seeing all the different products in grocery stores in SXM that we don't have at home.
Posted By: JulieandKarl

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 01:37 PM

I enjoy Super U and the French products. Unlike in the states I don't have to read every single label to find the one brand of something that doesn't contain some form of soy (I have a sensitivity). Soy is not used in everything in France like in the states
Posted By: bluejacket

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 01:41 PM

Carol_Hill said:
We live in the back of beyond, so most of our grocery shopping at home is pretty pedestrian. We enjoy seeing all the different products in grocery stores in SXM that we don't have at home.

Yeah Carol. Besides the beach, we enjoy the grocery stores in SXM. All the unique items are really cool. Peaches travels internationally for work and will always hit up a grocery store to find a cool souvenir for me--usually some very different food item.
Posted By: CanadianCutie

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 04:40 PM

One of my favourite things to do in SXM is to hit the different grocery stores. I love getting all the European imported foods and such that are not available here in Canada. Even just looking at the different housewares is fun. I alway bring home a little something for the house, even if it's just some cute napkins. Love Super U in Marigot especially so.
Posted By: Kamehameha

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 04:44 PM

We don't need another SXM or vacation souvenir. So we have measuring spoons from SXM, a can opener from Aruba, and plastic water bottles to reuse from Cabo, Cancun, Curacao, Hawaii, etc. Makes me smile with memories when I use these silly things Cheap and easy to take home, too!
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 05:02 PM

For picking up a few quick items we like the market at the round about in Maho under the Royal Islander. Prices are better than the Garden Market. You can usually grab a parking space right in front.

Re: Grocery recommendations?? - 07/19/2017 08:48 PM

Thank you for recommendations. Appreciate it!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline