Posted By: Biturbo

Orient Bay aftermath - 09/16/2017 06:49 PM

https://www.facebook.com/johnny.milian.5/videos/10212058773297531/
Posted By: rpotter28

Re: Orient Bay aftermath - 09/16/2017 07:42 PM

OMG
Posted By: Bernd

Re: Orient Bay aftermath - 09/17/2017 02:43 PM

Terrible destruction. No yellow sub,no Bikini, no La Playa or Waikiki. looks like the roof of Cote Plage is caved in, part of the roof of Table d'Antoine is gone. Just awful.

Bernd
Posted By: Chris33

Re: Orient Bay aftermath - 09/17/2017 08:24 PM

I know it looks bad, but I remember driving through in 2000 while it was all being built up. A few years later it was like it had always been there. We need to all support it like then so it will come back. It doesnt have to look like the condos around the golf course that were left to crumble. I was amazed that the core of the village buildings were still standing. They'll need a lot of work but I'm guessing they can be rehabbed and will open with the same restaurants or similar. May be a few years but it will be back and they need all of us when they're ready. Maybe before.
Posted By: charlieh

Re: Orient Bay aftermath - 09/17/2017 08:57 PM

I wonder how this will affect SXM as a cruise ship destination? Seems like Orient Beach is a big part of the island destination.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Orient Bay aftermath - 09/17/2017 09:21 PM

Thanks for posting that video. OMG, I cannot believe all of the destruction!! It looks like the aftermath of a tornado. one that never ceased! Nothing to me is recognizable. It's like a war zone. God bless SXM!!
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Orient Bay aftermath - 09/17/2017 11:10 PM

......the rebuilding will be "easy" compared to the cleanup , so much everywhere and where to begin........looks so demoralizing....... Dump truck and front end loader time......
Posted By: o2bnsxm

Re: Orient Bay aftermath - 09/17/2017 11:15 PM

charlieh said:
I wonder how this will affect SXM as a cruise ship destination? Seems like Orient Beach is a big part of the island destination.

I was wondering the same thing. Also St. Thomas, Key West, etc. All took a big hit, and the Cruise Industry was a big part of their income. So sad to see the people's lives shattered, and everything they own is gone.
Posted By: rpotter28

Re: Orient Bay aftermath - 09/18/2017 12:16 AM

Bernd said:
Terrible destruction. No yellow sub,no Bikini, no La Playa or Waikiki. looks like the roof of Cote Plage is caved in, part of the roof of Table d'Antoine is gone. Just awful.
Bernd

Yes Bernd, absolutely terrible! I haved stayed at La Playa for the month of January for a lot of years. It is my second home, the staff there are my friends. I am worried about them all.

I am also from Ontario, Kingston to be exact. Where are you from?
Posted By: Tom

Re: Orient Bay aftermath - 09/18/2017 11:01 AM

While I do not agree with those suggesting that it will take 3-5 years for the resorts and businesses to rebuild, I do remember that restoring the cruise ship visits to SXM took a very long time with past hurricanes. I think part of that was the lobbying and persuasion on the part of govt. to the cruise ship lines. There is tough competition for that business from other islands in the Caribbean. Certainly the unique offering of Orient Beach will help once it is rebuilt.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline