TravelTalkOnline

Westjet cancels flights

Posted By: jeepers

Westjet cancels flights - 09/21/2017 07:00 PM

Westjet cancelled flights through to April & are giving refunds
Sad but necessary
Posted By: mika

Re: Westjet cancels flights - 09/21/2017 07:25 PM

I just spoke with Westjet and they said they will refund flights but the money will go into Westjet dollars to be used within 365 days. If you booked "Plus" fares then you would be able to get a refund back to the original form of payment.
Posted By: JohnandBev

Re: Westjet cancels flights - 09/21/2017 07:41 PM

Same with us

Just to clarify, the credit is valid for 1 yr, but that means a booking made within the yr, not necessarily travel taken. So you can book up to next Sept or whenever you ask for the credit, for a flight in 2019 as an example

J&B
Posted By: BGH

Re: Westjet cancels flights - 09/21/2017 08:18 PM

Air Canada is full credit for one year period from date booked .. not great , full refund makes more sense for the customer .
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Westjet cancels flights - 09/21/2017 08:23 PM

In terms of flight operations and cancellations, Insel released this:

PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT: INSEL AIR COMMERCIAL FLIGHTS SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!!

SEE NOTICE BELOW FROM INSEL AIR FB PAGE
Update: Airport closure Sint Maarten for commercial flights

Due to Hurricanes Irma/Maria, all commercial flights in and out of Princess Juliana International Airport are currently suspended.

Until further notice, the airport is serving as a dedicated hub for emergency and evacuation flights only.
Posted By: Ritchard

Re: Westjet cancels flights - 09/21/2017 08:53 PM

I spoke with Westjet just yesterday and was told that flights would resume at end of Oct. I guess someone changed their minds. I'll have to work hard to book something else now.

Edit to add: Just cancelled with WestJet, full refund. I talked to RBC travel (booked tix for my kids separately on points) Air Canada has not yet advised them of cancellations, so I have to wait. Now to see if it is possible to get my Apartment deposit back.
Posted By: JohnandBev

Re: Westjet cancels flights - 09/21/2017 09:30 PM

In the same boat

Full WestJet credit [ didn't really ask, just phoned, gave my booking reference and the WJ person said .. oh St Maarten, will that be credit or are you booking another destination!!!

Apartment different issue, waiting for an update - booked thru Jim Ruos, it's not Jim, he has to wait to get an update. Guessing that will be a deposit refund

My feelings are simple, if I'm competing with locals and aid workers for scarce resources, best to stay away, not to mention most flights from Toronto are cancelled thru the spring of 2018

J&B
Posted By: KATHY

Re: Westjet cancels flights - 09/21/2017 10:39 PM

Jet Blue gave me a full refund today. I already booked 3 weeks in Antigua. Will be back to sxm in 2019
Posted By: jaxon60

Re: Westjet cancels flights - 09/22/2017 02:36 AM

We called today. They confirmed that they had cancelled flights to April 29. They refunded to the card we used for payment without any question. They rep asked if we wanted a credit or a refund. We had not booked Plus seats.

I have to say that I was very impressed with WestJet (again). From the time I started dialing until the time I hung up, I spent less than 10 minutes on the phone. the rep was very polite, very friendly, and it was a no-hassle experience!

The only bad thing about it is that we will miss St Martin this year frown
Posted By: Sunfun

Re: Westjet cancels flights - 09/22/2017 03:18 AM

Ok thats good because to just offer credits for a cancelled flight would be clearly against the law.
Posted By: kish

Re: Westjet cancels flights - 09/25/2017 03:00 PM

Mika, call West Jet again. When I cancelled our Nov trip they put the refund in a "travel bank". When I heard they had cancelled until April 2018 I called to cancel our Jan trip and was given a refund to our credit card and when I questioned the Nov. cancellation that money was removed from the "travel bank" and applied to my cc.
Posted By: mika

Re: Westjet cancels flights - 09/25/2017 04:18 PM

Thank you.... will call Westjet again.
Posted By: Ritchard

Re: Westjet cancels flights - 09/25/2017 04:57 PM

Westjet cancelled/refunded me without question as I posted above.

I had secured points tix on Air Canada Rouge for my sons - University reading week - hard to get. I called RBC Rewards travel on Thursday, they said they couldn't do anything until Air Canada informed them of changes or whatever. This morning I called Air Canada looking for a little flexibility. They said that since it looks like the flight is going, that we are stuck with the seats. Even when I explained that my kids would be travelling without their parents and may or may not have a place to stay, there was no flexibility. There will be no cancellation, and any changes will be subject to a $200 to $300 change fee per ticket. Kind of a bummer.
Posted By: oceanbreeze

Re: Westjet cancels flights - 09/25/2017 05:02 PM

We had the exact same experience - first a credit to our travel bank but after they cancelled all flights through April they credited our CC. Westjet provides excellent service.
Posted By: PrairieGirl

Re: Westjet cancels flights - 09/25/2017 10:01 PM

Ritchard said: there was no flexibility. There will be no cancellation, and any changes will be subject to a $200 to $300 change fee per ticket. Kind of a bummer.

Hmmmm, Air Canada, now Why does that NOT surprise me?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline