TravelTalkOnline

Alegria

Posted By: dress

Alegria - 10/20/2017 06:58 PM

Have 2 weeks booked at Algeria in February. Sounds like I can get airfare refunded. Doubt if the island is ready for visitors. I have not heard back from Algeria. Any thoughts for February visitors. It seems like some areas are improving, but feel they do not need extras on the island. ???
Posted By: whitesands

Re: Alergia - 10/20/2017 07:07 PM

We are going for 3 weeks in February, hoping by that time things will be ready for us. Not expecting it to be the same, but looking forward to returning and spending our tourist dollars!
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Alergia - 10/20/2017 07:07 PM

I have not heard back from Algeria.

Probably the key point to this question.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Alergia - 10/20/2017 07:41 PM

The Hotel is badly damaged , however they have started the repairs at the Sunset Bar and Grill.
Posted By: RI Bob C

Re: Alegria - 10/20/2017 07:55 PM

When they bought the property they indicated a plan to tear it all down and rebuild. With that history I would not plan on staying there unless I had solid commitment that they will be open for business and I had contact from somebody on the island who has visited the place and can confirm their condition. Alegria does not have a good reputation with former clients of the property.
Posted By: johnhill

Re: Alegria - 10/20/2017 08:51 PM

I spoke with an Alegria owner last weekend regards a February rental as our stay at Royal Islander was cancelled by management. The owner at Alegria told us her unit has no water, no power and is damaged. She said she doubted the unit(s) would reopen before the summer of 2018.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Alegria - 10/21/2017 05:11 AM

ok...im confused. I was under the impression that Alegria is a HOTEL...not a timeshare. Thought everyone that ''invested'' in the timeshare lost their units? Has something changed??? Thought the only Alegria owner was the guy who bought the place?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Alegria - 10/21/2017 12:48 PM

There was one building at Alegria, that despite all the other 'stuff' going on, that was always wholly owned by individuals. I'm not sure if that is what John was talking about or not. I really don't know what's going on with the rest of the mess at Alegria. As Lesley said, from looking at the aerial views of Alegria, it looked severely damaged. No way I personally would assume they would be open by February, especially with all the other 'stuff' going on there.
Posted By: johnhill

Re: Alegria - 10/21/2017 04:32 PM

Sorry for the confusion-the lady owns a unit in the wholly owned building & indicated the entire property suffered heavy damage. The unit was listed on VRBO for rent and has now been taken down from the site.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Alegria - 10/21/2017 05:24 PM

got it...thanks.
Posted By: San

Re: Alegria - 10/21/2017 11:42 PM

Carol, you are correct because there is one building wholly owned by owners. The other building, the U-shaped building, is called a hotel by the owner. However, some of the units in that building are still owned by timeshare owners. Nothing has changed in that respect.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Alegria - 11/16/2017 03:46 PM

The Circus Continues
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Alegria - 11/16/2017 04:11 PM

"circus" is right. I pity those poor people, involved with that mess.

Re: Alegria - 11/30/2017 10:31 AM

And a court ruling. Daily Herald Article

Re: Alegria - 11/30/2017 02:16 PM

Have they ever paid any of their fines or are they tied up in appeals?

Re: Alegria - 11/30/2017 02:53 PM

Bob_Dot said:
Have they ever paid any of their fines or are they tied up in appeals?

You are asking the wrong person as I have not followed what is going on other than to post a link when I see something new.
Posted By: Birdwatcher

Re: Alegria - 12/03/2017 06:00 PM

Never owned there, but it was a favourite place to stay. Marty posted on Facebook that they are selling off furniture from Building C, not sure if it is all rooms or some rooms or what it means.

Re: Alegria - 12/04/2017 02:09 AM

Entire 1st floor took a beating and I doubt if they moved anything to save it from the flooding. Furniture was nothing special.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline