TravelTalkOnline

Is St Martin still dangerous to go to?

Posted By: leo

Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/09/2017 09:46 PM

We do not believe so. We're booked & going 01/13-02/03/18
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/09/2017 10:22 PM

No we are not dangerous . We have a lot of Dutch and local Police providing safety.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/10/2017 12:53 AM

Leslie...how right you are!!!!! "Is the USA still dangerous to go to'?? Some say yes...others say no. Who is right?? smile Awful title for a post!!!!

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/10/2017 01:07 AM

All of my Family lives in the States and they are okay. We were supposed to be there to live but that's a long story way back. SXM is our home and we are safe, but do love Canada where our Daughter lives and our Son will start next year after June.

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/10/2017 02:19 AM

Leslie...I put the usa statement out there tongue in cheek, to show how ridiculous the post headline read. especially after all the mass murders taking place here the last couple of months.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/10/2017 03:48 AM

No more dangerous than many USA cities if it is really that much at all. I think a lot of people are judging on things that happened after the hurricane which is not really how it ever was before or is now. Unless they start having these horrible mass shootings,etc like the USA and other places then I am good to go. IMO

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/10/2017 04:26 AM

foreversxm...exactly!!!!

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/10/2017 11:02 AM

Thanks Ed !
Posted By: StMartinMike

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/12/2017 02:59 PM

Lesley,

Great to hear from you and we are glad to hear you and the family are fine. Be well and we hope to see you again some day.

Mike and Peggy McWethy.

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/12/2017 04:00 PM

Thanks Mike and Peggy. We all have a lot of work to do but moving ahead.
Kind regards.

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/12/2017 04:43 PM

one step at a time leslie. glad you are on your way back to recovery!!!!

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/12/2017 07:25 PM

EdB said:

one step at a time leslie. glad you are on your way back to recovery!!!!

Yes Ed we just finished with fourteen cars with the windshield and windows problem and next is the body repairs and painting.
Posted By: RICKnGRACE_LI_NY

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/13/2017 01:12 AM

Hope you have enough white paint!!
Good Luck Leslie

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/13/2017 11:08 AM

RICKnGRACE_LI_NY said:
Good Luck Leslie

Lol , white paint is available , but also would need some other colors .
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/13/2017 11:53 AM

Kennys said:
RICKnGRACE_LI_NY said:
Good Luck Leslie

Lol , white paint is available , but also would need some other colors .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jamiegarrett761

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/13/2017 12:57 PM

What do you mean by dangerous? If you are asking if your life will be in danger when you visit, no more so than it has ever been. If you're asking if you might encounter debris in the water or on the beach then, yes, there could be hazards so I'm making sure to get a tetanus shot. That said, I stepped on a nail two years ago and got a little infection; got stung by a centipede eight years ago; got stung by a jellyfish five years ago..... So, as long as you exercise care, you should be as ok as you would have been before the storms.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/13/2017 01:13 PM

I don't think the concern was about stepping on a nail but for about personal security. There have always been concerns about staying safe when the residents at least had the potential for employment.

With the destruction of homes and businesses coupled with a major decrease in tourism income I can understand the increased concern for personal safety. Hopefully this is a relatively short term issue but right now it is a valid question
Posted By: sasasal

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/13/2017 01:17 PM

I think some people are asking because they have heard of the looting and robbers after the storm... and when a lot of people are out of work and have no income it becomes more of an issue... Of course everyone should take precautions, especially those that are in private homes... But asking the question is very very legit.... Reality is hard but it is reality....It would be great if we could rely on the police, So hopefully everyone can be safe. but take all precautions.
Posted By: Teresasxm

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/13/2017 03:26 PM

boucharda said:
I don't think the concern was about stepping on a nail but for about personal security. There have always been concerns about staying safe when the residents at least had the potential for employment.

With the destruction of homes and businesses coupled with a major decrease in tourism income I can understand the increased concern for personal safety. Hopefully this is a relatively short term issue but right now it is a valid question

I agree ...this is a very valid question. We are also very anxious to go back to St. Maarten and play tourists, spending money at local businesses, however the lawlessness that transpired following the Hurricane has many people worried. What's going to happen in the months ahead when the tourism dollars aren't there and things turn desperate again? The police and military can only do so much. This is a situation that really needs to be carefully monitored and I applaud the original poster and the people who have backed them up with support.
Posted By: lina

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/13/2017 04:48 PM

HI LESLEY GLAD TO HEAR YOUR DOING WELL...MAYBE WE WILL SEE YOU IN JUNE !!! I HOPE SO
POHLMANS

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/13/2017 07:04 PM

lina said:
HI LESLEY GLAD TO HEAR YOUR DOING WELL...MAYBE WE WILL SEE YOU IN JUNE !!! I HOPE SO
POHLMANS

Thanks and would love to see you Folks once again.
Posted By: jmbcomms

Re: Is St Martin still dangerous to go to? - 11/14/2017 01:03 PM

We're in the process of booking now. I get all the police reports from SXM because of my writing about the island. If anything it's slightly quieter than usual (not much, but slightly) because "everyone" who knows how to hold a hammer is involved in rebuilding.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline