TravelTalkOnline

SIM card

Posted By: DPD1968

SIM card - 11/19/2017 09:26 PM

We will be heading to SXM in January. Does anyone know where to but a Chippie sim card since Irma, and how the service has been?
Thanks for any replies
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: SIM card - 11/20/2017 01:16 AM

I know you can add $$ to your account at the Mailbox, but not sure if they sell the SIM cards.

There are UTS/Chippe stores. Not sure where you are staying, but there is one in Philipsburg, and one in Cole Bay (Paradise Plaza Mall)
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: SIM card - 11/20/2017 02:35 PM

The UTS store in Cole Bay closed back in May or June. There is only the store in Philipsburg now.

Re: SIM card - 11/20/2017 08:14 PM

wilsonck said:
The UTS store in Cole Bay closed back in May or June. There is only the store in Philipsburg now.

I don't believe that is correct. They opened after Irma, in October.

http://www.soualiganewsday.com/local/sou...-on-monday.html
Posted By: DPD1968

Re: SIM card - 11/20/2017 09:47 PM

Thank You for the replies, we are staying in Orient and will be travelling thru Maho, Sandy Ground , Margiot etc..
I would like to be able to buy one on that route if possible. The original plan was to buy one online but I would now prefer to give my dollars to the island.

Thanks again
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: SIM card - 11/21/2017 12:24 AM

Didnt' realize they had reopened it as it had been closed earlier in the year. Thats good they opened it back up. Anyone know if they added Saturday hours at the Cole Bay location? Previously, it was only open M-F.

Re: SIM card - 11/22/2017 12:03 AM

DPD1968 said:
Thank You for the replies, we are staying in Orient and will be travelling thru Maho, Sandy Ground , Margiot etc..
I would like to be able to buy one on that route if possible. The original plan was to buy one online but I would now prefer to give my dollars to the island.

Thanks again

Going that way you won't find anything, unless you get a French side SIM from Marigot or maybe Hope Estates area.

Maho is practically deserted. I'm not sure if the Maho Market at the circle has re-opened. They had a top up terminal, and MIGHT sell SIMs if they've opened.

There is a guy who sells them online.
https://www.mrsimcard.com/caribbean/s-utssxm.html

He will send them to you prior to your trip, but there IS an up-charge. More than buying one yourself.
Posted By: jaxon60

Re: SIM card - 11/22/2017 02:53 AM

I don't know if this is current, but according to the UTS website, there is an outlet in Marigot:
UTS Marigot
24 Rue De La République
Open Mon – Fri 8:30am – 5pm Sat: 9am -1pm
Posted By: ChunkyDunkin

Re: SIM card - 11/22/2017 05:20 PM

Last Nov (2016) I picked up a Simm card at the above referenced Marigot site. I seem to recall the storefront name was "Dolpin" or something like that. Found a parking spot near the mall building and a short walk east from there, store was on north side of the road. Is it still there?? good question.

Re: SIM card - 11/22/2017 06:37 PM

ChunkyDunkin said:
Last Nov (2016) I picked up a Simm card at the above referenced Marigot site. I seem to recall the storefront name was "Dolpin" or something like that. Found a parking spot near the mall building and a short walk east from there, store was on north side of the road. Is it still there?? good question.

But was it CHIPPIE?
Posted By: ChiTownHarry

Re: SIM card - 11/22/2017 09:20 PM

There was a UTS store in Marigot which did sell Chippie SIM cards. It was about a block down the street from Dauphin Telecom, which also sells SIM cards, but are not Chippie. We were last on the island in March, so things may have changed.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: jaxon60

Re: SIM card - 11/23/2017 01:18 AM

Yes, UTS should be at 24 Rue De La Republique. Dauphin is at 12 Re De La Republique

Re: SIM card - 11/23/2017 04:40 PM

jaxon60 said:
Yes, UTS should be at 24 Rue De La Republique. Dauphin is at 12 Re De La Republique

You are correct.

It appears they have re-opened their 3 stores.

http://sxmislandtime.com/front-page-headliners/43009-uts-opens-on-saturday.html
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline