TravelTalkOnline

Surf socks

Posted By: Buddyhog

Surf socks - 01/13/2018 06:22 PM

I noticed in another thread that someone suggested surf socks to get into the water. I’m not really familiar with these and didn’t know if most people are wearing them now due to glass etc. on the beach and in the water. I really don’t like the idea of wearing them and never have during my many visits to the island Thanks
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Surf socks - 01/13/2018 06:29 PM

Have never seen anyone on the beaches here with anything on their feet. Have not encountered any reason to.
Posted By: Canuck54

Re: Surf socks - 01/14/2018 12:07 AM

Certainly never needed them in the past but I have found some very sharp rocks just where the water deepens on Orient. A local also told me much debris, glass and metal were sucked back into the water. Might not be a problem but not the place I want to have to go for stitches. BTW surf sock are like slippers with rubber soles for rocky beaches.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Surf socks - 01/14/2018 09:32 AM

The rocks are always there, just the sand is gone. Thanks to the water clarity most of the time you can see them and avoid. Bill always swims with goggles and the only debris he has seen is an occasional beer bottle then he dives down and picks up. Oh, and once he found a picture frame, but it was quite far out in the water. He also rescued that! We swim there typically twice a week. But if it makes you feel more comfortable, water shoes are a good choice.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Surf socks - 01/14/2018 11:04 AM

As Elaine said, the water clarity should make debris easy to see but if you are concerned I would suggest something more substantial such as a water sandal with a more rigid sole. In the past I have seen some pretty nasty nails and metal after hurricanes. It is usually exposed and easy to see but if one did step on it there could be some major injury. Anything you choose to wear in the water will also capture a lot of sand that will continue to come out of the shoe, sock or sandal once you are out of the water.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline