Posted By: SXMScubaman

Divi ditches straws - 04/03/2018 04:49 PM

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islan...o-friendly-efforts#.WsNYg1XL0ww.facebook
Posted By: pony600

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/03/2018 05:21 PM

Great idea!
Posted By: pault21093

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/03/2018 07:33 PM

There are many drinks that I would not order without a straw. I'm sure that when an order is placed for a frozen strawberry daiquiri, a straw will be included.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/03/2018 07:40 PM

Then perhaps you might request a paper one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pault21093

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/03/2018 07:59 PM

The reality is that this is a Divi cost saving measure that the marketing people are spinning as if they care about the environment.

All they really have to do is say "Straws available upon request." When they are requested, provide a paper biodegradable straw.
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/03/2018 07:59 PM

It is a great idea - something I never thought of.
They could probably be recycled with the other plastics. I will even take mine home to place in the bin.
Posted By: JohnandBev

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/03/2018 09:12 PM

Good Idea, some can say it's just a marketing ploy by Divi , but it's a real issue - good for them for doing something
Enormous amount of floating garbage in the oceans, lots of it plastics. Lots of studies to show that plastic straws are a garbage problem, land and water. Just as plastic non reusable water bottles have taken a hit, so should plastic straws. For those who want plastic straws, bring your own!

J&B
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/04/2018 01:25 AM

I cant remember the last paper straw i encountered. Im ok with a paper one. There are some Places i dont fully trust their dishes, kind of got that bar dip and rinse feel vice a good hot bath. Sounds stupid but in some cases i like the straw to ease my mind hoping the inside is cleaner than the edge and the outside.

Are straws the devil? It would seem to me water bottles, coke cups and lids and styrofoam to go containers would far out do the poor straw.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/04/2018 09:51 AM

All single use plastic is the devil. So glad to hear Divi is taking this initiative and wish everyone would do it!
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/04/2018 10:34 AM

Cigarette butts, water bottles, caps and styrofoam constitute a large problem also.

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/04/2018 01:34 PM

I typically ask my server for no straw. Got raised eyebrows at first, now most remember. A couple of times they forgot and put the straw in, remembered as the drink was being served and quickly pulled it out and threw it away! duh

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/04/2018 01:49 PM

Plastic straws and all disposable plastic is evil.

Use of a straw also gives you lip lines! lol...much akin to smoking. wink
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/04/2018 02:30 PM

Yes, we had dinner locally last night and they put plastic straws on the table automatically for our water. We didn't use them. I do wonder whether they just throw them away, even if they aren't opened. I suspect there's some rule that says they have to throw it away, if it's been placed on the table...
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/04/2018 09:59 PM

At the Animal Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World there are no plastic straws - only paper and there are no plastic lids for drinks either. Plastic is harmful to all the wildlife there, and of course, everywhere.

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/05/2018 03:57 PM

https://news.nationalgeographic.com...ley-marine-debris-ocean-animals-science/
Posted By: WayneB

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/05/2018 04:23 PM

Great to see. That is a start, and should be island wide. Hopefully others will follow, and stop as well.
Posted By: jborosara

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/05/2018 04:53 PM

In NYC last weekend, was given a stainless steel straw with a cocktail that I ordered - It was fine... and reusable
Posted By: BruceU

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/05/2018 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Biturbo
... They [plastic straws] could probably be recycled with the other plastics. ...

No, plastic straws are not recyclable. For more on the topic see: https://livegreen.recyclebank.com/because-you-asked-what-s-so-bad-about-plastic-straws

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/05/2018 05:20 PM

There is no recycling here on the Dutch side.

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/05/2018 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
There is no recycling here on the Dutch side.

How about on the French side? Is there any recycling there?

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/05/2018 06:27 PM

Yes there is.

Re: Divi ditches straws - 04/05/2018 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
Yes there is.

Good to know. Great that they do. Wish Dutch side would get on board.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline