TravelTalkOnline

Maho video from March 30

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Maho video from March 30 - 04/05/2018 03:33 PM

Link

Boy they sure have a long way to go!!!
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Maho video from March 30 - 04/05/2018 03:38 PM

I am not sure I am ready to go back. My husband is going back and forth since the hurricane. I have not been to SXM since May 2017
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Maho video from March 30 - 04/05/2018 04:23 PM

But they have come a LOOOOOOONNNNNNG way!

Re: Maho video from March 30 - 04/05/2018 04:53 PM

I guess that is very true also. I was just disconcerted when at one point, I could see a plane landing, looking straight THROUGH the building!
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Maho video from March 30 - 04/05/2018 05:21 PM

It's going to be awhile yet. Driving by the shell of the building ever day is a horrible reminder.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Maho video from March 30 - 04/05/2018 06:20 PM

The youtube and fb videos taken by tourists are appreciated to a point! I feel now the tourists going down to SXM and uploading videos are like:
Ambulance Chasers hurrying to disaster sites to upload videos for the public and their fb friends....

Re: Maho video from March 30 - 04/05/2018 06:25 PM

It depends on what they are taking pictures of. But frankly, I see nothing wrong with taking videos that show what the current conditions are. I think it's better that people know what's going on, rather than being totally shocked when they arrive. Or perhaps, as with you, people decide not to go because they feel like they can't handle it. Either way, information is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Maho video from March 30 - 04/05/2018 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
It depends on what they are taking pictures of. But frankly, I see nothing wrong with taking videos that show what the current conditions are. I think it's better that people know what's going on, rather than being totally shocked when they arrive. Or perhaps, as with you, people decide not to go because they feel like they can't handle it. Either way, information is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

Correct. It's very important to let tourists know what to expect prior to making arrangements and spending good money to vacation on St Maarten. What better eyes can tourists have than other tourists first have experiences.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Maho video from March 30 - 04/05/2018 08:54 PM

WOW......talk about building a BRAND NEW Sonesta, Looks like every wall has been removed. It will take time, but I am betting that the maho area will be back ....totally renovated....and bigger and better than ever!!! Truthfully, i am surprised to see how much has already been done. I would still love to get some current and new update from the Maho group...especially some current and updated information about Royal Islander.
Posted By: takeus2sxm

Re: Maho video from March 30 - 04/06/2018 01:12 AM

I totally agree with you.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Maho video from March 30 - 04/06/2018 01:26 AM

Loved seeing the Harley's. Hog heaven! wink

Wonder if they are off the cruise that usually comes. We tend to be there for that, but I thought it was late October?
Posted By: dmwieser

Re: Maho video from March 30 - 04/06/2018 12:04 PM

I think they have come a long way in a short time considering the circumstances. Glad they are revamping the entire complex as it was becoming so ihorribly outdated.

Re: Maho video from March 30 - 04/06/2018 01:05 PM

Beachkitten--there is definitely more than one 'bikers' cruise throughout the year.
Posted By: Wingman

Re: Maho video from March 30 - 04/06/2018 01:35 PM

I know this thread is about Maho, but I can say the rest of the island has the same circumstances. I think one has to ask themselves, "is the glass half empty or is the glass half full." We're leaving today after being here almost 2 weeks. There are so many parts of the island that have come back really "SXM STRONG". Other parts and areas still need a lot of work. The amazing thing is how far they've come along and the attitude of the people. As has been said in so many threads, the people are so pleased and grateful to see tourists here. They go above and beyond. We've dined at Buc's, Izi, Moulin Fou, Mario's, Isola, Sky is the Limit to name a few. All were fantastic and during the dining experiences, you'd never know anything happened on the island in these particular restaurants. Driving around, yes you see the costs of the storm, but you also see the growth on the vegetation coming back, the people rebuilding, the business' rebuilding. Were there some places we usually go not open yet? Restaurants? YES. But what we did see open and patronized, it was like there was no difference. Would I recommend a first timer go here, maybe not quite yet. You always want to show your goods at it's best. But people who truly love the island and the people here etc., don't be afraid to come back. Just my humble opinion.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline