TravelTalkOnline

Waste Management in Saint Martin

Posted By: sxmmartini

Waste Management in Saint Martin - 05/16/2018 10:25 PM

The model for waste management in Saint Martin is not perfect, but it is a good starting point for discussion. We should be able to learn from our neighbors!

http://greensxm.com/waste-management-in-saint-martin/
Posted By: AUCspouse

Re: Waste Management in Saint Martin - 05/17/2018 12:30 PM

Thanks for the link. The article answered a lot of questions I've had.

When we are in St. Maarten, staying on the Dutch side, we always try to dispose of our recyclables in one of the convenient bins on the French side. I have no idea whether this type of "trash smuggling" is encouraged or frowned upon by the French authorities, but it certainly makes environmental sense. I'm glad to learn about what happens to the recyclables after we put them in the bins.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Waste Management in Saint Martin - 05/17/2018 01:29 PM

I've always wished the hotels on the Dutch side had a separate trash bin for recyclables. So much of what we create in our room is recyclable.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Waste Management in Saint Martin - 05/17/2018 02:42 PM

You can be fined if you are caught using the French recycle bins.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Waste Management in Saint Martin - 05/17/2018 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
You can be fined if you are caught using the French recycle bins.

I thought I read somewhere that the French was using the Dutch dump.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Waste Management in Saint Martin - 05/17/2018 03:02 PM

Sorry, you can be fined if you bring Dutch side recycles to the French side? Just want to make sure that's what you mean.

Re: Waste Management in Saint Martin - 05/17/2018 03:44 PM

Yes, nothing to do with the dump. The French pay for the recycling through their taxes.

Same with Dutch dump, the French cannot bring their waste, but here is obviously no monitoring or consequence, as with most else. Here in Cupecoy after Irma, we had trucks from French side bringing their debris and dumping it across the street from us. Of course, at that time here was no one to stop them.
Posted By: AUCspouse

Re: Waste Management in Saint Martin - 05/17/2018 03:48 PM

Bill,
Thanks for the information. It puts Dutch-side visitors who believe in recycling in a tough position. But it's good to be aware of the laws.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Waste Management in Saint Martin - 05/17/2018 04:58 PM

Thanks for the info. Makes sense.

Re: Waste Management in Saint Martin - 05/17/2018 06:04 PM

Not a visitor, but we are all in a very tough situation. We had recycling for a couple of years, but since Irma it's impossible. Makes my want to cry.
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: Waste Management in Saint Martin - 05/22/2018 01:51 AM

The very sad truth is that recycling is a dying industry, China is no longer buying what they used to, so much of what we are recycling is going to landfills as there is no market for to make it worth the cost to process. That is the issue in the US, I image the processing cost is even higher in the Islands. there needs to be a push to biodegradable.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline