TravelTalkOnline

Anniversary lunch

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 05:45 PM

Yesterday was our anniversary. Eric wanted to try Marigot for lunch, which turned out to be a very good idea!

We ended up at Tropicana, based on recommendations here in my thread I posted before we left, requesting info for a special lunch. I have to say, this lunch did NOT come anywhere close to the "Best Meal I Ever Had", at Dreams. which would be impossible, but it was very nice and we both enjoyed it very much.

[Linked Image]

We started with a nice Cote de Provence

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They didn't appear to have a printed menu, at least for lunch, but only the chalkboard menu here. The owner (??) translated anything we didn't understand for us.

[Linked Image]
Note they were giving 1.15 on the Euro, which isn't bad, compared to the real exchange rate. They did accept credit cards. I had to ask, since I spent more than I thought I would at the stalls there in the open market in Marigot.blush

We shared the special appetizer salad, which featured crab, salmon, shrimp and grapefruit.

[Linked Image]
Eric, being much more of a 'fish' person than I am, loved it! I thought it was ok..

On the other hand, I positively LOVED my beef tenderloin with a mushroom sauce!!! OMG!! love

[Linked Image]

I have to say, the presentation wasn't up to real Grand Case standards, but that steak was some of the best I've had in a long time, with that sauce!!!

I ordered French fries (ok, pomme frites!) and Eric had a garlic potatoes side dish that could make me give up French fries forever, in exchange!

[Linked Image]

Eric had a snapper dish, with a crab crust

[Linked Image]

We finished with an OMG GRAND MARNIER SOUFFLE that was OUT of this world!!!

[Linked Image]

WOW!!!

The finishing touch was some home made banana vanilla rum

[Linked Image]

What a lovely meal!!!

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Kennys

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 06:38 PM

Happy Anniversary and thanks very much for the posting .

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 07:40 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: SXMFOX

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 07:53 PM

Boy, that looks great! Happy anniversary!
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 08:01 PM

They only have that souffle one day a week. We always try to get there that day. Fabulous. We have always had fabulous meals there sorry yours was less than stellar.
Always enjoy your posts
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 08:05 PM

Happy Anniversary!! pirate
Meal looks fantastic and the setting too...

Please can I said I told you so--everyone seems to love it there.
It has been a long time for us, but we will go next visit.

LOVE your pictures!!!! clapping

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 08:06 PM

Sorry jeepers, not sure where you got the impression it wasn't great! I didn't care for the seafood salad, but that's just me! I loved the meal! I did compare it unfavorably to our meal at Dreams, which literally was the BEST meal I ever ate, but this was excellent.
Posted By: bluejacket

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 08:16 PM

Lunch looks great. Happy Anniversary! And thanks for all the work you guys do on ttol.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 08:27 PM

Tropicana has long been one of our favorites. Do you know if they have started opening for dinner? Thanks for sharing and happy anniversary!
Posted By: Mbrott

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 08:40 PM

Happy anniversary. It's good to see some activity in the marina. We drove by most nights and it always looked like a ghost town.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 08:44 PM

Great pic of you two. Happy anniversary and many more.

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 08:48 PM

Thanks so much, Scuba..

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 08:50 PM

CaribLee--I actually don't know, on dinner, as I personally have no desire to be in the marina after dark.
Posted By: pat

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 08:51 PM

Glad to hear you enjoyed your special lunch. Happy anniversary and many, many more to follow. 😊😊

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 08:59 PM

Thanks Pat!
Posted By: BlueGreenWater

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Sorry jeepers, not sure where you got the impression it wasn't great! I didn't care for the seafood salad, but that's just me! I loved the meal! I did compare it unfavorably to our meal at Dreams, which literally was the BEST meal I ever ate, but this was excellent.

I will miss Dreams so much. Never ever had a bad meal there. Like Tropicana too, though.

Happy Anniversary!
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 09:33 PM

Thanks Carol. I would not go to the marina at night at this time as well. But I have hopes that one day the marina might return to its former glory (we have many fond memories). And it has no chance of happening until multiple restaurants/businesses begin opening at night (hopefully with adequate and much needed security).
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 10:53 PM

Happy Anniversary to you both!

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/17/2018 11:01 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/18/2018 02:04 AM

Happy anniversary. Looks like a nice time.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/18/2018 04:09 AM

Happy Anniversary, and congrats on a very well done anniversary lunch, with some very good choices. There are many nice things on Tropicana's menu, but it's helpful if you at least speak "Restaurant French". The owner helping you out if needed was a nice touch.
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/18/2018 04:26 AM

Happy Anniversary, and I'm glad you enjoyed Tropicana. Always a favorite. I can't go there w/o their Onion Soup.

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/18/2018 11:30 AM

Biturbo--I thought hard about onion soup, but it's normally so RICH that I have a hard time finishing my meal. Glad I didn't get it, or we wouldn't have had that wonderful soufflé!!

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/18/2018 11:31 AM

Thanks. We enjoyed it!

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/18/2018 11:33 AM

Bahston--yes, I know enough French words to get myself in trouble! grin I saw a goat cheese salad and asked whether it had any nuts on it. Guess that's an American thing, as he looked at me like I was NUTS!! grin
Posted By: SXMNorm

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/18/2018 07:23 PM

Happy Anniversary and thanks for the food pics.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/18/2018 08:40 PM

Happy Anniversary to you and Eric. That was a big lunch so I imagine dinner was much smaller that night. Enjoy the remainder of your trip.

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/18/2018 08:45 PM

Oh yeah! Dinner was pizza! grin
Posted By: fabila

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/19/2018 02:47 AM

Happy Anniversary Carol and Eric.

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/19/2018 11:35 AM

Thanks Louise!
Posted By: daily2

Re: Anniversary lunch - 06/19/2018 11:42 AM

Happy Anniversary Carol and Eric. What a lovely luncheon to enjoy! clapping