TravelTalkOnline

Cell Service Verizon

Posted By: CCBob

Cell Service Verizon - 07/01/2018 09:10 PM

I usually pay $10/day so my cell phone works like at home.
I hear service is spotty on the French side. Has anyone tried Verizon there?
Posted By: xraylady

Re: Cell Service Verizon - 07/02/2018 03:55 PM

We stayed in the Hope Estate area from April 28 through May 6 and had no issues with our Verizon service. Utilized the same $10/day service you mentioned. Phone service and receipt and sending of e-mails work fine on both sides of the island.
Posted By: irish1223

Re: Cell Service Verizon - 07/02/2018 09:12 PM

We also have Verizon and utilize the $10 per day service when on the island. Didn't have any problems on either side using phone service &/or internet data.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Cell Service Verizon - 07/02/2018 09:40 PM

Seems pretty expensive if you actually use it every day, unless your work is paying for it or something. For someone who still wants to rent a phone on island, Craig from Packlight still rents phones.

Re: Cell Service Verizon - 07/02/2018 09:43 PM

We prefer to carry one of our own cell phones, but don't necessarily use it every day. We used to rent from Sharon, but find this much more convenient with all of our own apps on it.

Re: Cell Service Verizon - 07/02/2018 09:49 PM

We don't routinely carry a smart phone at home, as we both spend all day in front of a computer, so never got into using the phone for everything, like most people.

Re: Cell Service Verizon - 07/02/2018 10:05 PM

Haha, Ed would agree with you, as I am much more of a geek than he is when it comes to using phone apps and such. jester He doesn't use his smart phone nearly as much as I do, after being on the computer all day. Though he didn't complain when I had us all checked in with Mobile Passport upon our arrival back at JFK, where we breezed through immigration and customs. So sometimes my geekiness pays off. grin

Re: Cell Service Verizon - 07/02/2018 11:25 PM

Oh, it definitely comes in handy from time to time, I'm sure!
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Cell Service Verizon - 07/02/2018 11:50 PM

I believe they also offer a $40 monthly plan which could be more cost effective.
Posted By: chazo

Re: Cell Service Verizon - 07/05/2018 02:49 PM

We rely on our smartphone when travelling. Maps are great. You can download them so you don't need a connection, but it really helps to be connected to look up locations and such. We used the Verizon $10 a day plan in Curacao and ended up using 4 days of the 7 we were there, though it would have been 3 if I had not forgotten to turn the phone off. The resort WiFi was iffy and I needed to do some work and did use it for that.

The $40 a month plan is awful! We used that in Europe a few years ago before they added the $10 a day plan. You get 100MB of data and then pay $25 for each 100MB over that. We were not heavy users there, but still ended up with $50 in overages. And you have to turn the plan on before a trip and turn it off after a trip unless you travel regularly and want to pay $40 every month and you have to be careful that it is on for a month or they may prorate your data allowance and minutes and if your trip straddles the month ending you can end up with two months worth.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Cell Service Verizon - 07/05/2018 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by CaribLee
I believe they also offer a $40 monthly plan which could be more cost effective.

We used it this last May. Good deal as we were there for 3 weeks.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline