TravelTalkOnline

Current Open Supermarkets.

Posted By: laughingirish

Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/09/2018 08:18 PM

Will be on island in two weeks and was hoping the Grand Marche / Carrefour will be reopened from fire recently. Any other comparable markets for comparable shopping ?

Thanks for any good ideas.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/09/2018 08:36 PM

Only Carrefour that's open is at Porto Cupecoy and at Jordan Village . Both are good.
The fire repair for the one on Bush Road will take about two months. Don't know about the other one near to Port de Plaisance , but the are working on it .
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/09/2018 08:46 PM

Depending upon where you are staying there are many options.

The Carrefour Express in Jordan Village was very well stocked.

In Simpson Bay area there is the Market Garden.

For meats, wines, cheeses you could also try the Super U in Hallowell Center. Be sure to take shopping bags to this one.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/09/2018 09:03 PM

It depends what you mean by "comparable" shopping. Carrefour by Mark's was, and will be again, huge, beautiful, reasonably priced, with lots of American products. Super U is a GREAT, clean supermarket, huge, with very reasonable prices, especially for French wines, meats, produce, but almost NO American products. Carrefour Express at Cupecoy and Jordan Village are VERY much smaller, with less to choose from. Market Garden to me is WAY overpriced, but it does have lots of American products and it is convenient. There is a new grocery store which is open where the Fresh Market used to be, open as of like June 22. I forget the name of it, but we did go there to check it out. There were big lines the day we were there, but it looked to be very well stocked with American products, if that's what you're interested in. We didn't really see prices, as they had just opened and didn't have prices on the shelf yet. But I would definitely check it out.

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/09/2018 09:56 PM

Cost Pro !
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/09/2018 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kennys
Cost Pro !

Where is that located Leslie? Ro

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/09/2018 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by RonDon
Originally Posted by Kennys
Cost Pro !

Where is that located Leslie? Ro

I believe he is saying that is what took the place of the Fresh Market?

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/09/2018 11:44 PM

Correct where Fresh Market was
Posted By: laughingirish

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/09/2018 11:58 PM

Thank you for all the feedback but did not state I was interested in american food ? What i am interested in is a good Caribbean food prices to help out the island recovery. Would like to support island recovery by visiting local restaurants as well as food markets and street vendors.

We do appreciate all responses.

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 12:01 AM

Well, sorry, you said "comparable" and did not specify what that meant...

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 12:02 AM

Lesley--thanks. I knew it was Cost SOMETHING, couldn't remember.

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 12:51 AM

Welcome and we did use them one day but had to pay with our company cheque because the Amex machine wasn't working . We only use Amex now, give up the others.

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 01:10 AM

LaughingIrish...confused as your title was “supermarkets”.

What local market are you looking for?
Posted By: usasxmlover

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 11:29 AM

wondering about the Carrefour that was near simpson bay..other side of new long bridge. Did that not survive Irma?
Posted By: Eric_Hill

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 11:34 AM

They are working on it, but it is not open as of now based on reports.

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 12:04 PM

That store survived Irma. It did not survive looters. As Eric said, supposedly they are working on it.
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 01:40 PM

Most of the roof was torn off the Cole Bay Carrefour market. Major damage.

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 01:51 PM

Could be, but the worst damage was when looters stole literally or destroyed EVERYTHING inside, coolers, etc... They could have been open MONTHS ago if it hadn't been for that.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 02:45 PM

When we were there in May it was being worked on. Lots of extensive storm damage. Not all just from looters.

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 03:05 PM

..and as I said, it would have been open MONTHS ago if it hadn't been for the looting..

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 03:16 PM

Not sure about that. When we were there walls and roof was all being torn out.

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 03:51 PM

Well, I know what the owner said at the time, and the owner said that the vast majority of the damage was from looting. They tore out all the machinery, etc., everything.

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 04:42 PM

OK. I just know what I saw first hand. Extensive exterior damage was quite evident. .

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 04:58 PM

Again, I'm not saying there wasn't damage. I'm saying that the looting is the reason why it's not open yet....

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 07:04 PM

Yes. That probably added to the setback.
Posted By: dolfer

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 08:37 PM

Where is Super U located?

I love shopping for 'non' American products. I find it one of the best parts of our trips, trying and tasting different things.

Re: Current Open Supermarkets. - 07/10/2018 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by dolfer
Where is Super U located?

I love shopping for 'non' American products. I find it one of the best parts of our trips, trying and tasting different things.

Super U is in Marigot at the Hallowell Center (next to the French side McDonalds) Be sure to take your own re-usable shopping bags. You also need coins to get the carts out if I recall?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline