TravelTalkOnline

Orient Beach update

Posted By: Canuck54

Orient Beach update - 07/13/2018 02:10 PM

The new Bikini beach bar is open and it is spectacular, covered dining area, nice bar area, service out to beach chairs, about 200 padded loungers and 100 or so green umbrellas. Best part were the fully operational washrooms. This is a game changer for the beach as it now serves as a viable destination for cruisers and tourist that is truly textile, and provides good separation from the c/o portion of the beach at The Club O end. While this will affect business at the Perch somewhat it is a better experience for most. Soon to follow will be La Playa and I think it is Kon Tiki. On the negative side however Chez Leandra and Le String which were operating from containers have been ordered off the beach for the government to remove the concrete slabs and debris before they could place "moveable" facilities back on the beach. This work was promised to begin by now but has not yet started, this is fortuitous for Bikini and there is some concern that the big guys will not play well with the smaller independent operators, time will tell.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Orient Beach update - 07/13/2018 02:36 PM

Good to hear.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Orient Beach update - 07/13/2018 02:52 PM

Thanks for the update. Is there ANY action yet on any of the large beach bars, other than LaPlaya?
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Orient Beach update - 07/13/2018 03:16 PM

Kontiki has started construction!

Re: Orient Beach update - 07/13/2018 03:36 PM

Good to hear! Anyone have any idea when they will be operational??
Posted By: pandpfromcanada

Re: Orient Beach update - 07/13/2018 05:11 PM

Kontiki is going to be where Waikiki was. We heard September when we were there in June.

Re: Orient Beach update - 07/13/2018 05:50 PM

Huh. Really? I guess Luftman owns them all so he can do whatever he wants. I guess he's trying to physically spread out the business more?
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Orient Beach update - 07/13/2018 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Huh. Really? I guess Luftman owns them all so he can do whatever he wants. I guess he's trying to physically spread out the business more?

I have to wonder how Luftman was able to get a AOT from the Government for such a large parcel of beach property (Kontiki to Coco)?

I recall Bikini and Kontiki managers back in 2012 asking the same question?

The Beauperthuy's owned AW 29, AW 30, and AW 33. In January 2011, the court awarded AW 33 to the COM while the other parcels remained with the Beauperthuy's.

https://smn-news.com/st-maarten-st-...ent-of-com-lied-to-me-and-my-lawyer.html

Attached picture Baie Orient.png
Posted By: mtncat395

Re: Orient Beach update - 07/19/2018 01:38 AM

How about Kakao? Any update on this bar/restaurant?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Orient Beach update - 07/19/2018 02:26 AM

Not open yet.
Posted By: dmwieser

Re: Orient Beach update - 07/19/2018 11:59 AM

Kakao is scheduled to reopen by Nov. 2018.

Re: Orient Beach update - 07/19/2018 12:47 PM

Look at this thread for information about Kakao.
Posted By: luvtotravel

Re: Orient Beach update - 07/19/2018 07:22 PM

Anything about Coco Beach at Esmeralda?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline