TravelTalkOnline

New Nov. Airport Layout

Posted By: Leagle49

New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/17/2018 12:12 PM

Here is a link to today's Daily Herald article talking about the tentative new airport layout to be opened in November. https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islan...-back-into-terminal-building-by-november
Posted By: candj

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/17/2018 12:53 PM

We hope this is done by November as that is when we arrive.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/17/2018 01:10 PM

I still don't see how it can be open by November, considering they still don't even have a contractor chosen to do it. But I hope they are able to get it done by then. Sounds like a lot more seating than what they have now. Especially on weekends, I guess it is very crowded and no seating available. I guess we were lucky, coming through during the week.

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/17/2018 01:18 PM

We're coming in December. Sure hope it's ready by then, but given island time, we're not counting on it.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/17/2018 02:33 PM

November 7th 2018 is the 75th anniversary of PJI Airport.
Phase one is completed which was the roof, the draft layout is to finish second floor construction by 2020.
There will be an increase of 800 seats and a doubling of check in counters from 16 to 32.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/17/2018 02:41 PM

The key was in the headline it is "subject to change".

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/17/2018 02:44 PM

"I guess we were lucky, coming through during the week."
When we left in June on a Saturday it's wasn't all that bad.

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/17/2018 02:54 PM

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islan...one-more-week-to-settle-insurance-claims

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/17/2018 03:01 PM

A friend of mine came through this Sunday and it was an absolute zoo! No place to sit. And jazzgal came through I think on a Saturday and said it was very crowded.

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/17/2018 03:10 PM

That's what I heard also. One day it was partially due to a cancelled flight of which those passengers had no other place to go and just sat there. Trying times with the current airport situation.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/17/2018 05:33 PM

With Spirit, Delta, and Air France all landing within 15 minutes of each other this past Saturday, I can see how it would be a complete zoo.
Posted By: marybeth

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/17/2018 08:45 PM

We were planning on a Nov trip but after seeing the pictures & reading the reports I'm pretty sure we are going to pass. With Don's mobility issues there's no way he can deal with all the lines & crowds. And like many I'm doubtful of a Nov. opening. And having experienced the B gates in normal airport ops I can't imagine what they would be like as the only departure area.

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/17/2018 09:21 PM

You are probably right about it not being ready in Nov. but the way I see the plans there is another additional departure waiting area which looks like it might be in the area where immigration used to be that is much lager than the B Gate area.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/17/2018 11:05 PM

I was surprised to finally see the reinstatement of a direct flight from BOS to SXM. Booked it. Now I hope it doesn't get cancelled.
Posted By: timnboston

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/18/2018 10:55 AM

Which airline Don??

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/18/2018 11:58 AM

Not RonDon, but Jet Blue is the only airline as far as I know, that has ever had a nonstop from Boston.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/18/2018 12:40 PM

I quickly looked at JB and did not find a nonstop for my travel days anyway.

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/18/2018 01:14 PM

I believe it used to be only on the weekend.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/18/2018 05:53 PM

Thanks.I was checking a Wed. departure and a Fri. return, but who knows? I'll keep an eye on it.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/18/2018 07:20 PM

Yup..used to be Sat/Sun non-stops both ways. Now it looks like N/S returns (to BOS) only on Saturday starting Feb and into March...it's a start

That was our flight of choice but bit the bullet this upcoming January and went with AA...fingers crossed
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/20/2018 03:17 PM

Press release: All Roads Lead Back Into the Terminal Building by November 2018

https://www.sxmairport.com/news-071818-SXM-Transfer-of-the-Temporary-Operations-Facilities.php

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/20/2018 03:47 PM

Not sure how anything in that press release is any different than the original Daily Herald article that was posted to start this thread?
Posted By: RonDon

Re: New Nov. Airport Layout - 07/23/2018 11:28 AM

Sorry for the late response to timnboston but I've been away from computer.

Jet Blue out of Boston has direct flights on weekends to SXM. They had suspended them due to Irma and airport problems in SXM . Last March we had to go thru NY and we'd waited so long that couldn't get a flight that would connect so we drove to JFK the day before. Everything worked out. Surprised that it was a good drive.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline