TravelTalkOnline

Perch Lite Question

Posted By: JimDS

Perch Lite Question - 07/18/2018 11:30 AM

I will be on Orient in September and haven't been to SXM since before Hurricane Irma. I have heard of Perch Lite, but where precisely is it located? Also, in the event of rain on the clothing optional side, is there any place to find temporary shelter since I won't have a car? Thanks, in advance.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Perch Lite Question - 07/18/2018 11:50 AM

Perch Lite is only a few yards from where The Perch used to be. You can't miss it. It is the only refuge when it rains, other than under an umbrella or in the sea.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Perch Lite Question - 07/18/2018 11:57 AM

As Elaine said, it's basically the only thing in that area, so you can't miss it. ..not to put a fly in the ointment, but you're assuming that they will be open in September. I have no idea whether they will be or not...
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: Perch Lite Question - 07/18/2018 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
As Elaine said, it's basically the only thing in that area, so you can't miss it. ..not to put a fly in the ointment, but you're assuming that they will be open in September. I have no idea whether they will be or not...

They used to close at the end of August for a month, so maybe not
Posted By: candj

Re: Perch Lite Question - 07/18/2018 11:48 PM

Are there any rest rooms near the Perch Lite? If not, are there Porta Johns nearby?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Perch Lite Question - 07/18/2018 11:55 PM

There is a restroom in a container relatively close to the Perch. We didn't use it, so don't really know anything about it.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Perch Lite Question - 07/19/2018 12:29 AM

What I heard is that it is only emptied or flushed when it is full. Also costs to use. Bikini has a restroom on new facilities.
Posted By: acb

Re: Perch Lite Question - 07/25/2018 06:16 PM

We spent this past week on Orient. The Club Orient resort property is mostly fenced off and a bare bones crew is moving unit by unit to clean out the remaining beach drift. PerchLite is in full operation serving tasty food and beverages. Cedric&crew are managing the beach. There is plenty of room for all who are there. Chairs/umbrellas are added along the beachfront as needed. The bathroom is in a modified shipping container. The door is locked, staff at PerchLite will provide the key upon request. The toilet is flushed by bucketwater as there is no running water to provide pressure. The PerchLite staff stores water in a cistern and use as needed. Rustic and manageable.

There is not much going on at all between the Club Orient and the Bikini Beach areas. With cruise ships in pburg sun-weds the average noontime headcount at Club Orient was 75-100. Thurs and Friday no cruise ships and the head count was less than 40. We met one other family with children who we met last summer during family month at Club0.

The beach is glorious. It looks and feels adrift as it was before development took over. The seaweed is not as much of an issue as it was one year ago. The crew is running the tractor to rake it it off the shoreline as needed.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline