TravelTalkOnline

Alegria... current and what's up ?

Posted By: panman

Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/14/2018 04:55 PM

Anyone have any details on the news regarding updating Alegria?
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/14/2018 06:40 PM

Nope !
Posted By: WayneB

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/16/2018 10:25 PM

Sad... frown
Posted By: madg1108

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/22/2018 02:29 AM

They stole my timeshare.
Posted By: johnhill

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 01:57 AM

check this link to Alegria-now named Morgan Resort and Spa and in the midst of a total rebuild to reopen 2019
https://www.alegriasxm.com/
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 10:57 AM

They are even making a new beach, called Sunset Beach! Pretty good! ;(
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 12:56 PM

Sorry, what do you mean, making a new beach?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 01:15 PM

The article says the nearby beach is Sunset Beach.

"Our deluxe resort overlooks the ocean at Maho Bay, adjacent to Sunset Beach, the world-famous beach where you can almost touch the airliners gliding in for a landing at Princess Juliana International Airport."

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 01:23 PM

duh Those folks don't let the truth get in the way!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 02:37 PM

Just like the renaming of streets, parks and airports. It happens.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 06:07 PM

I thought this is the area where they wanted to jail the dolphins?

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 08:56 PM

Yes.
Posted By: MrWhiskerssammy

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 09:17 PM

It doesn't matter how many times they change their name--they stole many many people's vacations and nobody is going to forget it!! I wouldn't consider staying there if it was the last place on earth.
Posted By: dolfer

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 09:28 PM

I inherited four weeks of timeshare from my parents. The home resort is near us in northern Michigan but my parents bought it primarily for golf and a home away from home, but I'm an hour away and neither my wife or I golf. Regardless it wasn't in our budget to have to pay a (large) monthly fee (which we had to pay for 12 years) until December 2017 when they finally let us sell it back, for a mere five years of maintenance fees (over $5000).

TIMESHARES are evil. They never should have existed especially in the US where they just don't qualify as REAL real estate.

Ok thanks, I had to vent.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 09:57 PM

While they have worked for many people, I am with you.
Posted By: MrWhiskerssammy

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 10:06 PM

Well thanks for venting--but what on earth has that got to do with the people who wanted a timeshare--bought in good faith--and had it stolen away from them. I wouldn't buy timeshare again--my husband and I had 7 weeks at one time, but that has nothing to do with what happened at Alegria (or whatever they are calling themselves these days). The owners of Alegria are evil, not timeshare!!d It does work for some people.

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 10:47 PM

You are buying in a foreign country that basically has NO timeshare legislation. Do your homework before signing and paying.

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 10:52 PM

dolfer, you are entitled for your opinion but don't clump all timeshares as a bad deal as it works for many people like myself. You inherited something that was essentially worthless to you. I bought into time sharing in St Maarten knowing what to expect and am glad I did. We used a US timeshare we had to originally trade into the Belair back in 1999 and bought preconstruction at Flamingo that same trip. Glad we did. Can't wait till it reopens in 2020 better than it was before Irma.
Posted By: johnhill

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 10:53 PM

it would be interesting to hear if any construction at the new Morgan Resort & Spa has started? We have friends that invested many hard earned dollars in the old Caravanseri-I don't know if this name change will affect their legal actions.

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 10:53 PM

Forgot to add that your post has nothing to do with what happened and might happen to Alegria.

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/23/2018 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Forgot to add that your post has nothing to do with what happened and might happen to Alegria.

It is addressing the subject of timeshares. Some like them and some do not.
Posted By: pat

Re: Alegria... current and what's up ? - 08/24/2018 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
You are buying in a foreign country that basically has NO timeshare legislation. Do your homework before signing and paying.

A very wise man and dear friend, one whose SXM condo we were very seriously considering purchasing from him (to the tune of $150000.00 and a very dear price to us at the time.....) suggested to me that if we couldn’t comfortably afford to lose the money we were spending, we really shouldn’t purchase outside of the US. We thought long and hard about his admonition and decided at the time we really couldn’t afford to even POSSIBLY lose that amount of money comfortably so we didn’t buy his condo and instead bought our first week of timeshare at the Towers. To this day no regrets on either decision although I hope the Towers is able to get their repairs done soon before another year comes to pass.

My sincere hope is the government of SXM will someday get their $hit together and enact the long promised but still nonexistent timeshare legislation they’ve been promising for a minimum of twenty plus years so that no others will ever again suffer the fate of those who were the early pioneers of timeshare fraud and mismanagement at the original Pelican Resort or those who later bought at Algeria and possibly even those who may end up losing at the Ocean Club. Not everyone is as fortunate as we were to have that dear friend and all his wisdom.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline