TravelTalkOnline

Maho and Sunwing want loans

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/16/2018 01:26 PM

Daily Herald link

Tax holidays I guess would be totally up the SXM government, but anyone think that the World Bank would approve loaning Spadaro money?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/16/2018 01:37 PM

They already had plans to demolish and rebuild BEFORE Irma. So obviously they had funding already. The people of St Maarten can not afford to fund this crap. They can't even put roofs on houses one year on.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/16/2018 01:42 PM

Spadaro is very well connected with SXM government. Whatever he wants, he gets or so it seems frown

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/16/2018 06:00 PM

As I said, he may get some tax holidays, but I doubt he will get any money from Holland, as the World Bank has to approve the use of those funds.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/16/2018 07:06 PM

This mentioned Sonesta and Great Bay Hotel specifically, I thought Spadaro sold those properties. It was my understanding that he now owns both RI properties, most of the shops and parking garages there minus Cheri's but not Sonesta or Great Bay.
Posted By: sasasal

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/16/2018 07:26 PM

Yup from going to Island for many years, thats what we heard. He has paid lots to goverment officals over the years to get what he wants. that tells you about goverment there. he is not the only one. Just let them put money in there pocket and anything goes. Smart people know this. Lots have been done thats not close to legal, but hand money its done.been going on for years. Crooked goverment.. He could possibly get what he wants. I could be wrong. but considering the stuff that is allowed on Island think about it.

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/16/2018 07:43 PM

Todd-I knew he sold Great Bay, but thought he still owned Sonesta. I could be wrong.
Posted By: pat

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/16/2018 08:04 PM

[quote=Carol_Hill]Todd-I knew he sold Great Bay, but thought he still owned Sonesta. I could be wrong. [/quotes

I am apparently very confused. I thought Maho Bay was actually Sonesta Maho Bay and Great Bay Hotel was actually Sonesta Great Bay and Spadaro sold off Sonesta Great Bay. Am I mistaken?
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/16/2018 08:30 PM

Im a non expert but i thought Sonesta Maho was reopening as Sonesta Ocean Point. Right? Wrong?

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/16/2018 08:36 PM

Ocean Point it the fancy piece out on the point. The bigger complex is Sonesta Maho. Have no idea who owns what, but I think Maho at least is still Spadaro.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/17/2018 01:44 AM

Pat, you have it right.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/17/2018 08:45 AM

Ok, thanks.
Posted By: pat

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/17/2018 11:30 AM

Thank you. I thought I had read that somewhere. As I recall, Sunwing had big plans for Sonesta Great Bay and that was long before that b itch, Irma hit. I can’t imagine any good reason why this commercial venture should now receive World Bank financing, and particularly since there are so many islanders still living with post Irma ‘Island issues’ but what do I know?!

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/17/2018 02:48 PM

THIS is where the $$ should be going. One year on... https://www.facebook.com/groups/685400055182098/permalink/865490950506340/?__xts__[0]=68.ARBl_ZtNSPS7jt2x9DHPjjYcD4POiz1t2_TRH89FCRtpE2Go_-XGBKp4x08Acu0uDDWAyscWUp6ph-TcPPDaTWY-nGw-qNZmBifVm5ppwsKB8L8BjxRLC9B7lNa_Te5iIDNZFO_H0_78&__tn__=CH-R
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/17/2018 03:04 PM

I believe the Great Bay complex was sold to Sunwing as that is where all the Sunwing vacationers stayed previously. The others remain with the original owner.
Posted By: George1234

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/17/2018 04:36 PM

Sunwing also had passengers for Maho packages.
George
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/17/2018 10:03 PM

No way Jose! What about all the other SXM small Hotels and business people that's investing their own hard earned money??. Do they get Gov Loans and Tax Holidays? Those are big boy companies, let them find their own Money and leave what the Gov has for the real people in need.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/17/2018 10:24 PM

The article brought up Spadaro just to get a reaction. Most businesses received a tax holiday for ten years including if I am not mistaken Westin.
The ToT is hurting the small contractor and everyone should get a tax holiday till the Island recovers.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Maho and Sunwing want loans - 08/18/2018 12:08 AM

They should get a loan elsewhere, and on the open market! NOT from the Dutch recovery package. cloud
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline