TravelTalkOnline

Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 01:20 PM

Daily Herald link

The story doesn't say Alegria, but that is where this has to be. Dear god, I hope SXM officials can't be convinced to let this happen! (And we all know how one does that!!) Not only bad for the dolphins, but bad for that whole area from Simpson Bay to Cupecoy!
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 01:21 PM

Yes, it's Alegria. There has been a petition circulating since it was first announced about a month or so ago. We MUST stop it!

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 01:31 PM

Elaine--is the petition available online? I, along with I'm sure many others here, would sign it!!

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 01:51 PM

It is probably on the Dolphin Defenders page. Let me try and find it.

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 01:52 PM

Here you go! https://www.change.org/p/the-government-of-sint-maarten-no-to-a-dolphinarium-on-st-maarten
Posted By: pat

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 01:56 PM

Carol,
The petition was on line a while back because I remember signing it at the time. I also sent a letter in protest with regard to how many of the people, both residents and visitors, feel about putting these beautiful creatures in a captive for profit situation. This proposal was beaten down once before and it must be stopped again. Sadly, the SXM government don’t seem to care what people think or feel about it. Can’t help but wonder whose pockets will be filled if this one passes this time.

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 02:26 PM

Hi Elaine. Thanks for the link. I signed it. Hopefully many other people here will sign!!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 02:41 PM

I signed it about a month ago. Bad in so many ways.
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 03:45 PM

I just signed. There is a counter which goes up in real time. It was at 5594 with a goal of 7500 signatures. This horrible idea will be a detriment to the island and these beautiful animals.

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 04:17 PM

I believe this is the 4th time a proposal has been brought forward. Hope it is knocked down like the others.

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 04:29 PM

I hope so. If the Dolphin Defenders info is correct, in addition to the damage to the animals, this will also damage several local beaches, from depositing 'stuff' at Maho to causing beach erosion.

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
I believe this is the 4th time a proposal has been brought forward. Hope it is knocked down like the others.

Elaine,

If you have them, it might be a great idea to post the email addresses for The Daily Herald and the government offices that might have jurisdiction or at least input on the granting of licenses for a project of this type.

I thought I saved my letter to the DH Editor but can’t locate it right now.

Aside from how most of us feel about putting these beautiful creatures in captivity, there is also a negative impact for an area of the island already fraught with its own issues. This is just one very DUMB plan.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 05:02 PM

This is just disgusting! Signed petition. But folks I believe this will go through. The BVI is experiencing the same problem. They say the tourists want them back.. The biggest impact is coming from the cruise ships. They say their clients want this for tours. Now we all know how powerful the cruise ship industry is and how weak SXM government is (there will be money to fill their pockets!) What the cruise ship industry wants, they will get and the he__ with the dolphins and residents, keep the cruisers happy. Something else to destroy.

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 05:58 PM

One difference with Tortola is that there already was a dolphinarium there. It was closed due to Irma, but I guess will be reopening. And there really is not a whole heck of a lot for cruise visitors to do on Tortola, unlike SXM. And, as Elaine said, this abomination has been beaten back a couple of times before on SXM. Hopefully it will be again. Everyone PLEASE sign the Petition, which is now over 6,000 signatures! clapping
Posted By: sasasal

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 06:16 PM

This would be so cruel. perhaps those goverment officals that are thinking of doing this should be caged instead of the dolphins. What money will do sickens me... What happened to morals and sensitivity to all life. something thats needed in our world now for sure... Ok off my soap box. did sign.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 10:11 PM

I not only signed it....I also posted it to my facebook page. I hope many of my ''followers'' there will take the time to sign it also. Why is it that every couple of years, someone else comes up with this stupid and cruel dolphinarium for the island??? Hopefully this will be defeated again...and for the LAST time.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 10:19 PM

Thanks Elaine for the petition. I just signed it.

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 10:59 PM

I just hope our non resident signatures count for something.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
I just hope our non resident signatures count for something.

Our dollars and visits to the island should certainly count.

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/21/2018 11:40 PM

The last time around, I think it was for a dolphinarium near the cruise port, the outcry from repeat visitors was heard loud and clear.

Letters to the newspaper and to the tourism department do help, I’m sure, and there are many who participate on this forum who can use words masterfully. It can’t possibly hurt.......
Posted By: RI Bob C

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/22/2018 12:18 AM

Ruin the area so some cruise ship people can see dolphins?? We've enjoyed seeing them on Celine runs.

Bob
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/22/2018 12:40 AM

Hello Folks , you are over reacting , because it can't never be built in that big open sea with big rough seas that we get a lot of times. A long ago , the past Dutch Director at the Airport wanted to extend the Runway out to sea , couldn't happen . There are is still the yellow buoys out at Maho, that's why they had to go the opposite side by the Lagoon. It will never happen there . Trust me.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/22/2018 12:44 AM

I’ll stir the pot a bit.

As a kid I had been to Marineland and later Sea World. I had also been to Flippers Sea School in the Keys and it is still around it appears

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_Research_Center

Flippers was real ocean with a large area compared to the aquariums. I want to say they actually allowed them outside the nets and they went from pen to pen. It was along time ago.

I’m not a big fan of captive sea animals. Although I enjoy them immensely.

As a former parrot owner, i’m Also opposed to ever putting a bird in captivity at home and at bird parks. Birds should always be free. Although I do enjoy looking at them immensely, it is wrong to deprive a bird of free flight just the same as it is a whale or dolphin free swim.

The same can also be said of many zoo animals and their enclosures.

So, I know a lot of folks enjoyed the bird park on SXM..........unfortunately IMHO iit’s no different.

Should we not start a petition against any enclosed animal/bird park on SXM.

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/22/2018 01:10 AM

Thank you, Lesley. Sometimes we need to be reminded that we are guests and as much as we may think we know what’s best, that’s not always the case.

But I still don’t want to see the dolphins in captivity.......😊😊

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/22/2018 12:47 PM

Lesley--I think that's the reason why they say that they want to build that huge breakwater, which is part of what would destroy several other beaches by taking away sand. I sure hope you are correct and they can't build it there, but if it can't physically be done, not sure why they would even propose it?? The Petition is up over 5, 700 signatures. Please sign, everyone!!
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/22/2018 01:31 PM

Hi Carol , I did sign the petition and the only way they can try something is by the pool that's close to sea; but no need to worry they have a lot of problems on their shoulders to deal with.

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/22/2018 01:51 PM

Lesley--I know that you know a whole lot more about this than we do and surely hope you are right!!

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/22/2018 02:27 PM

Not taking any chances!

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/22/2018 02:43 PM

I've learned in the past to never say never.
Posted By: mdavies

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/22/2018 04:22 PM

I don't generally reply but I view daily; so thanks to all on the forum.
My wife and I have been timeshare owners in Maho for 35 years, and I don't think another negative change like this is needed. It does not help our friends on this beautiful (home away from home) island.

I have signed the petition and hope it does not happen.

My best to you all!

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/22/2018 05:05 PM

Thanks for your signature!!
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/23/2018 01:27 AM

Petition has been signed and sincerely hope this project never is allowed to be built on this island.

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/23/2018 12:58 PM

The petition is at 5825 as of now. clapping Anyone who hasn't signed yet, please do so!
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/23/2018 01:39 PM

I tired, but our security software won't let me access the site.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/23/2018 09:21 PM

IDW do not approve of keeping dolphins in captivity...

https://www.idw.org/aboutus.htm

and either do I...
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/23/2018 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Leagle49
I tired, but our security software won't let me access the site.

I think I was able to sign but then they wanted signatures for multiple other ventures and then I was inundated with emails, even after I unsubscribed. I am all for helping out but I thought the site left a lot to be desired.

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/23/2018 11:43 PM

How awful. Don't know why, but I haven't gotten any emails at all.

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/24/2018 12:01 AM

I received one thanking me for my signature then on same email other petitions. At that I opted out of any future emails. Easy peasy.
Posted By: Shelby2

Re: Possible Dolphinarium at Alegria - 08/24/2018 12:24 AM

Same here...inundated with emails...and credit card security notified me of my email being discovered on a "dark site"
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline