TravelTalkOnline

Rebuilding on Orient

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Rebuilding on Orient - 09/27/2018 09:28 PM

http://www.soualigapost.com/fr/actu...nstruit-les-carbets-de-la-baie-orientale
translation of article

The community of Saint-Martin will rebuild for the second time the famous restaurants east of the beach of Orient Bay, colloquially known as the carbets of Baie O. The establishments were destroyed in October 2014 with the passage of cyclone Gonzalo . They had been rebuilt by the COM for an amount of 3.8 million euros.

The restaurants were completely blown away by Irma a year ago. The COM has the ambition to rebuild them. She has commissioned an architectural firm to redesign the site and has just issued a public call for competition for their work. They are divided into three lots: VRD, container and shell. Interested companies have until October 18 to file their file.

COM wants the reconstruction time to be three months.

ESTELLE GASNET
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Rebuilding on Orient - 09/27/2018 10:18 PM

How come they haven't done this before now??????????????? smashpc It's a whole year before they even ask for bids, and they want it done in 3 months. If they had let the contract after hurricane season last year, it would have been completed by around February this year.. Just sayin'...

Re: Rebuilding on Orient - 09/27/2018 11:08 PM

Reconstruction in 3 months is pretty quick. Something might be lost in the translation. I'm thinking 3 months after all files are in. That would make more sense.

Re: Rebuilding on Orient - 09/27/2018 11:21 PM

Regardless, they should have taken bids almost 12 months ago. Ridiculous to wait this long to even put out bids..

Re: Rebuilding on Orient - 09/27/2018 11:26 PM

I agree. French side is the epitmy of island time.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Rebuilding on Orient - 09/28/2018 12:05 AM

3 month time frame???? bet it will take at least another year and half like it did last time.
Posted By: joyfully

Re: Rebuilding on Orient - 09/28/2018 01:46 AM

A person might consider the fact that in the immediate aftermath of the hurricane, the government may have had more pressing ways to spend their money than rebuilding these 6 beach bars. I don't see how any of us is in a position to judge what was or wasn't feasible for the Collectivite, in terms of finance, after Irma.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Rebuilding on Orient - 09/28/2018 02:05 AM

Well said

Re: Rebuilding on Orient - 09/28/2018 01:25 PM

Well, I'm going to agree to disagree with you on that. The French side has had their heads up their you know whats since the hurricane and have seriously stopped rebuilding because of their policies which have prevented people who have the MONEY to rebuild from doing so. They have set back the French side 10 years with their lack of action.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline