TravelTalkOnline

United cancels direct flight from IAD

Posted By: BlueGreenWater

United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/13/2018 09:10 PM

Grrrrrr. Booked flights last April from IAD to SXM using a boatload of frequent flyer miles
Going down late January, coming back March 23 on direct flights both ways. United has been the only carrier with a direct flight on this route, and only on Saturday. Was just informed by United that they have cancelled the March flight and put us on a connecting flight through Chicago (because it makes so much sense to fly to Chicago from SXM when you're going to Washington). So return is now 9.5 plus hours instead of 4.5. Guessing it's just a matter of time before they do the same for January.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/13/2018 09:20 PM

Is that enough of a significant change that you can get a refund and book another flight? Perhaps DCA? We are going down AA through Miami and it's only 5 hrs 45 min.

It's funny, one time on Jet Blue we went UP to Boston and then to SXM. Same on the way back. Joked they could just drop us off in DC on the way back to Boston.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/13/2018 10:23 PM

Par for the course with United. They do this all the time. .Air fare from EWR to SXM in November, non stop is at $1300. pp RT. I will never pay that, up 300% since our last flights.

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/13/2018 10:34 PM

We paid 70K miles per person each way for the direct flight in business class. Beach Kitten, I'm seriously thinking about cancelling and booking on AA, but they're not much better.

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/13/2018 10:37 PM

Outrag
Originally Posted by LBI2SXM
Par for the course with United. They do this all the time. .Air fare from EWR to SXM in November, non stop is at $1300. pp RT. I will never pay that, up 300% since our last flights.

Outrageous!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/14/2018 12:48 AM

Yes, changing from a non-stop to a connecting fight definitely would allow the original poster to cancel with no penalty if they wish.
Posted By: johnhill

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/14/2018 12:57 AM

Having seen several posts regards AA flight changes I checked our January 27th flights from upstate New York and found; our flight through Philly to SXM has been cancelled and any alternative is an overnight in Philly, CLT or Miami. The representative I spoke with said don't make any changes yet give it some time as AA might make changes again. Did the overnight through Miami January 2018 and really don't want to do it again. It is annoying that AA doesn't notify the traveler of a schedule change.

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/14/2018 01:33 AM

This is just BS! How dare they think that after paying for high priced tickets that they can just assume the client can pay for an over night hotel I just don't get it. Something has to be done with these airlines getting away with all of this. But then again, they got you by the ___, you want to fly, pay the price!! It's disgusting.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/14/2018 02:15 AM

I always get notifications of changes with AA. Just got one last week for my return to CLT of an equipment and flight number and seat change. Make sure you have email notification on your airline profile.
Posted By: sasasal

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/14/2018 02:32 AM

Thank god we no longer have to deal with this airline... This is why we walked away from american. Sure there are folks that think differently, but this airline thinks nothing of its customers, and makes changes as they see fit... No thanks, not flying them..
Posted By: smalbany

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/14/2018 03:01 AM

My United IAD-SXM itinerary leave Saturday 12/8, return 12/15 has not changed. Still the non-stop.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/14/2018 11:13 AM

I was also notified by AA about my January itinerary change

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/14/2018 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by smalbany
My United IAD-SXM itinerary leave Saturday 12/8, return 12/15 has not changed. Still the non-stop.

It looks like the return flights nonstop have been cancelled after Feb. 9. Right in the middle of high season. Odd.

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/14/2018 12:23 PM

sasasal--Please note the original thread is about UNITED......

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/14/2018 03:33 PM

Yes your right but not the only one that mentioned AA. , so I guess I put my two cents in about the wrong airline. Sorry. Either way, United or any other airline that changes flights can be very hard on people.

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/14/2018 03:35 PM

ALL airlines change flights..
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/14/2018 03:45 PM

AA was mentioned to the original poster as a possible alternative to the changed United flight.

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/14/2018 04:07 PM

We have been using jet blue for years now. And have never had a changed flight after booking. Would be especially ugly if we booked a non stop and was changed to a stop. We all know the preparation going into travel. We have to get a driver as we live almost 3 hours from jfk, so not just the changed itinerary but having to make other changes. Perhaps we are just lucky, but so far never had this problem... But sorry about mentioning A A. Hope I am not the only one that has gone off the beaten track on this message board.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/15/2018 12:02 PM

Just checked and out December 1st flight from IAD to SXM is still ok.
Posted By: Pan

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/15/2018 12:28 PM

Wow! We're going down on 11/4 with United out of Newark and paid $599 PP R/T inc taxes and fees. It's more than we used to pay but but still less than what you were quoted and we booked on August 19th.

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/15/2018 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pan
Wow! We're going down on 11/4 with United out of Newark and paid $599 PP R/T inc taxes and fees. It's more than we used to pay but but still less than what you were quoted and we booked on August 19th.

Good thing you booked early. Good price but as you say, more than we used to pay. I checked a week ago and almost cried. We always go around the 1st week in Nov. Not this year.
Posted By: filet2u

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/21/2018 12:14 PM

It is crazy the rates

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/21/2018 12:34 PM

From MOST of the country, the rates to SXM have been sky high since Irma.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/21/2018 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
From MOST of the country, the rates to SXM have been sky high since Irma.

Correct. Wendell and I were discussing this yesterday. I checked a few random dates on Delta, still $900+ and very limited availability.

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/21/2018 12:56 PM

I wondered whether the Jet Blue flight from FLL would help you, but it would have to involve an overnight in FLL..

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/21/2018 01:06 PM

Any time I have looked at doing something like that, including going to NYC for the crazy low fares, it ends up being about the same when you factor in connecting flights, overnight stays, etc. Sadly it just seems to be we are stuck with very limited choices of airlines, schedules and exorbitant prices along with all day or overnight travel.

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/21/2018 01:25 PM

We paid the same for our flights we booked for our May 2019 flights as we did for our May 2018 flights which were pretty close to our May 2017 trip prior to Irma. Think it depends on the time you book and itinerary.

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/21/2018 01:52 PM

No, I think it depends almost exclusively on where you're flying from....

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/21/2018 01:57 PM

That and when you book. Our fairs are already up since we booked.

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/21/2018 02:04 PM

But some places, it doesn't matter when you book, there are NEVER low rates..

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/21/2018 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman

That and when you book. Our fairs are already up since we booked.

I start looking once I return. It rarely matters from many cities, the price is the price and is starts out high and goes higher. When it starts at $900 and only goes up from there, one does not have much of a choice.

The absolute lowest fare I ever paid was 16 years ago and I booked it in November for an early December trip. Less than a month from booking to flying.

BTW, it is FARES and not fairs.
Posted By: Renee

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/22/2018 01:36 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on the best day of the week or time of day to book airfare? TY

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/22/2018 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Renee
Does anyone have an opinion on the best day of the week or time of day to book airfare? TY

Many theories on this, none of which I have had much luck with. Check regularly, use a search tool/site and when it gets to a price you can live with, buy it!
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/22/2018 01:58 PM

I have read several travel (expert) sites who have researched this subject to death and came up with a formula. None of them have ever worked for me. I just check every so often and sometimes see a trend, and i book when i can live with it, as JD said. you can also set air fare alerts on most sites. Good luck!
Posted By: Bahston

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/22/2018 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Originally Posted by Renee

Many theories on this, none of which I have had much luck with. Check regularly, use a search tool/site and when it gets to a price you can live with, buy it!

And then stop looking at the fares, LOL.

Re: United cancels direct flight from IAD - 10/22/2018 02:54 PM

And then stop looking at the fares, LOL.

Correct!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline