TravelTalkOnline

Traffic

Posted By: coltigh

Traffic - 10/23/2018 10:35 PM

So yesterday and today, massive traffic on the causeway and Wellfare Rd. We're hearing it's all "pipe work" and there's been road closures and digging. Anyone know when this crap will stop? We waited 45 minutes in traffic to go from the airport to about the Hertz lot, before turning around. Today looks even worse. Anything, anyone?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Traffic - 10/23/2018 10:41 PM

Link
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Traffic - 10/23/2018 10:56 PM

Weird, according to that link, they stopped the roadwork during the day, but apparently the backups are still continuing..
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Traffic - 10/23/2018 11:46 PM

Still at a standstill in Simpson Bay. Tried to get there about 5:30. 45 minutes Maho to Bobby's Marina. Never even got to the roundabout, just turned around and went home. People have been stranded for hours.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Traffic - 10/24/2018 12:46 AM

Road work has to be done whether during the day of night. I'm sure it's an inconvenience but the end product is necessary. Take a patience pill and take an alternate route if available.

Re: Traffic - 10/24/2018 09:29 AM

Sounds like perhaps there was a communication error if it continued. No idea fro sure, just going by what Bill and Elaine stated.

Re: Traffic - 10/24/2018 10:27 AM

This was not inconvenient. It was a bloody disaster. No warning and shut traffic down for 8 or 10 hours? It's madness.
Posted By: fabila

Re: Traffic - 10/24/2018 11:57 AM

Elaine -- it took 2.5 hours to get from airport to car rental by the Bridge near SMYC on Monday starting at 4 pm for our friends.
Posted By: Wingman

Re: Traffic - 10/24/2018 12:02 PM

It's crazy, I've never seen anything like it on the island. The poor merchants and restaurants along that entire stretch. Nobody can get to them. There's got to be a more accommodating way. Friends arrived Monday and took 2.5 hours to get from the airport to Unity Car Rental by the bridge. The thought process, if any, was poor!!!!

OOPS, just saw Fabila's post, same friends staying here at BSV. Also in regards to the above link from Rural Carrier, someone didn't get the memo. It continued again yesterday into last night.

Re: Traffic - 10/24/2018 01:06 PM

Hopefully they have actually stopped the road work now. The Daily Herald has a small blurb that also said that the minister ordered the road work stopped, but as JD said, someone didn't get the memo!

Re: Traffic - 10/24/2018 07:38 PM

Any update on the traffic today? I just looked at the SXM Island Cam and the traffic was moving beside the airport runway and at the roundabout by the causeway, at any rate.

Re: Traffic - 10/24/2018 08:12 PM

Traffic in SB was fine up until 3 pm, then it started backing up again. Probably just normal traffic. Headed back that way in a little bit for a swim so we'll see if we can get there!

Re: Traffic - 10/24/2018 11:26 PM

Update. Our friends are stuck in Simpson Bay right now. Snarled traffic.

Re: Traffic - 10/24/2018 11:28 PM

Too bad, hope it's just regular traffic, not the road construction still.
Posted By: megamania

Re: Traffic - 10/25/2018 12:13 AM

I am really surprised to hear of the traffic congestion. We have only been there mostly in January or very early February, and although there is lots of traffic, have honestly never been at a stand still , unless of course the bridge is opening. The only time I remember severe traffice was back in 2005 and we ended up for the first time in SXM during regatta! Wow, now that was traffic. I hope this present traffic situation is something that will be cleared up soon.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Traffic - 10/25/2018 12:14 AM

That doesn't sound good.

Re: Traffic - 10/25/2018 10:25 AM

No, it's not.

Re: Traffic - 10/25/2018 12:52 PM

Daily Herald story
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Traffic - 10/25/2018 06:42 PM

Sounds like on-the-job learning.
Posted By: kccouple

Re: Traffic - 10/25/2018 07:46 PM

If you visit SXM in the winter and have never been stuck in traffic, you are either the luckiest person alive or just don't go out in the daytime!!!!
Posted By: megamania

Re: Traffic - 10/25/2018 08:10 PM

I do visit sxm usually in January and honestly, other than the bridge closing times, and a minor delay, I honestly have never been held up as this first post described. That;s why I was amazed that some people were stuck in traffic dead still for so long. I wish I could say I was the luckiest person alive, but not so. And, we do go out in the vehicle every single day. LOL....hey, maybe I am lucky. ??? Hoping that the road work is mostly done when we arrive.

Re: Traffic - 10/26/2018 01:38 AM

We came thru SB about 8:30 with no traffic this evening. However, earlier in the evening it was really bad again. Friends stuck and couldn't get home second time this week. They were doing road work at the roundabout when we went through.
Posted By: sasasal

Re: Traffic - 10/26/2018 04:13 PM

Does anyone know how long road work will go on????? Husband flying down and has lots of running around to do... Mostly left over work from hurricane... He will hate this for sure.

Re: Traffic - 10/26/2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by sasasal
Does anyone know how long road work will go on????? Husband flying down and has lots of running around to do... Mostly left over work from hurricane... He will hate this for sure.

Until it is finished and it will be on island time. It is an inconvenience for everyone traveling through the area where it is being done.

Re: Traffic - 10/26/2018 05:15 PM

Latest from the Government: https://www.sxm-talks.com/the-daily...AFu8nG5H-UfQJrdPP-nGowBvRRL4GDb1I1bLWITg

Hope to go for a swim in a bit. We'll see.

Re: Traffic - 10/26/2018 08:13 PM

Ok. No one knows. thanks for the info. And yes of course everyone is being inconvenienced by this. Do remember many times in high season airport road backed up, but that was after 4pm due to people getting off of work and beach people leaving beaches. Back ups were horrible. Hope for this to end for those that drive the Island day to day

Re: Traffic - 10/27/2018 10:55 AM

Traffic normal as usual last evening, no issues at all.

Re: Traffic - 10/27/2018 12:50 PM

Good to hear. Thanks.

Re: Traffic - 10/27/2018 02:25 PM

Very valuable to have you guys on this board. Who knows better than those that reside on Island!!!! You being there can answer with out guessing. Without being there, hard to get a true answer , as its mostly rumors... Nothing like coming from the horses mouth... Not an insult, just a very old saying. lol
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline