TravelTalkOnline

Calmos Cafe

Posted By: doctorj

Calmos Cafe - 10/31/2018 04:47 PM

Does anyone have updates on Calmos. Love that restaurant. When we were on Island in May it was a horrible sight.
Just hope Alex is rebuilding and doing well considering.
carib cheers,
doctorj
Posted By: Wingman

Re: Calmos Cafe - 10/31/2018 05:07 PM

we drove by there 2 days ago and absolutely nothing was going on there. It looked just like it did this past April. Don't know if they're going to rebuild or not.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Calmos Cafe - 10/31/2018 06:00 PM

That is a shame, as I will miss them also. As I recall, they said that they didn't have any insurance. I don't know if there continue to be issues with permitting, etc., as other than Rainbow and the lolos, I don't think there are any places open yet on the water side in Grand Case? What a shame. Any other restaurants that appear to be under renovation on the water side in Grand Case?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Calmos Cafe - 10/31/2018 06:03 PM

Heard II Nettuno is getting ready to open very soon. Saw pictures of interior on Facebook.
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Calmos Cafe - 10/31/2018 06:13 PM

I think it's a new restaurant where Il Nettuno used to be. Baranco or something like that?

Re: Calmos Cafe - 10/31/2018 06:14 PM

Could be.
Posted By: doctorj

Re: Calmos Cafe - 10/31/2018 10:12 PM

Thank you all. What a loss.
doctorj
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Calmos Cafe - 11/01/2018 01:27 AM

My most favorite place to eat lunch on island. Nothing better than their burger with their potato gratin, delish! Feet in the sand and a bottle of rose on ice. Boy will I miss this place!!!
Posted By: candj

Re: Calmos Cafe - 11/01/2018 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by doctorj
Does anyone have updates on Calmos. Love that restaurant. When we were on Island in May it was a horrible sight.
Just hope Alex is rebuilding and doing well considering.
carib cheers,
doctorj

We had sent them a message on Facebook and they indicated that they just finished with the lawsuit process and now had to deal with urbanism but would be back by mid 2019.

Re: Calmos Cafe - 11/01/2018 01:07 PM

sorry, what does 'had to deal with urbanism' mean?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Calmos Cafe - 11/01/2018 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill

I wondered the same thing. Just speculating but perhaps dealing with building codes versus just throwing up a building?

Re: Calmos Cafe - 11/01/2018 03:03 PM

Probably with the permitting process. AKA Government.
Posted By: Angelface

Re: Calmos Cafe - 11/01/2018 03:58 PM

That is a shame, as I will miss them also. As I recall, they said that they didn't have any insurance. I don't know if there continue to be issues with permitting, etc., as other than Rainbow and the lolos, I don't think there are any places open yet on the water side in Grand Case? What a shame. Any other restaurants that appear to be under renovation on the water side in Grand Case?

This Facebook page has a list of what's open in GC. Looks like two places are open on the water - the new restaurant in Il Nettuno's spot, and a new place called Nice SXM.
Posted By: candj

Re: Calmos Cafe - 11/01/2018 04:58 PM

Don't know but that is what they said on the Facebook response. I assume it means they are dealing with new regulations.

Re: Calmos Cafe - 11/01/2018 05:13 PM

OK, would be good to know what that actually means, but the French side government has, in my opinion, been a major hindrance in rebuilding.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline