TravelTalkOnline

Suspended sentence for bomb threat

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/01/2018 01:23 PM

Daily Herald story

I noted the lawyer said that her client wanted to 'pay' for this crime, but not to go jail. Huhm…
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/01/2018 04:53 PM

That's it?????? He would not pull a prank like that in the US and get away with that sentence!

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/01/2018 05:14 PM

Agreed.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/01/2018 06:02 PM

He described it as a "bad joke"!! That is what the sentence is, a BAD JOKE!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/01/2018 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
He described it as a "bad joke"!! That is what the sentence is, a BAD JOKE!

For sure. Sends a bad message.
Posted By: doctorj

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/03/2018 12:58 AM

It was a horrible day waiting in the airport that day for any news. We wasted a day in Paradise only to take a flight the next day after we found out it was a bomb scare. It was costly, aggravating, and scary. A Joke ? Not Funny. Should have served serious time. Perhaps a stiff sentence would act as a deterrent.
doctorj
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/03/2018 01:29 AM

You are so right. With that kind of sentence, anyone can pull a bomb scare to have a beach party!!!

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/03/2018 12:19 PM

Sorry you had to go through that. The Daily Herald agrees with you, doctorj.

Daily Herald editorial
Posted By: doctorj

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/03/2018 01:55 PM

Thank you so much. It was not the way to end such a beautiful vacation.
We still revisited in May! One idiot will not deter us.
We look forward to many more trips. Great info on Travel Talk.
carib cheers
doctorj

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/03/2018 02:27 PM

Certainly not THAT way, but we have had vacations really soured by bad travel experiences on the way home. So sad to see all those lovely memories get overshadowed like that...
Posted By: Steve Bond

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/05/2018 10:11 AM

Frankly I’m more upset with the Judge then the perpetrator. His sentencing is incomprehensible and does a disservice to all but the criminal.
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/05/2018 01:25 PM

The problem with the criminal justice system(s) outside the US is that even though we complain about our system, its still the best in the world. We naturally compare things to what we are familiar with and sentencing for criminal acts in SXM are ridiculous when compared to US.
Posted By: KareemCheese

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/05/2018 06:29 PM

Firstly, the defendant got the 8 months that the prosecution sought. The judge decided to suspend the sentence - as judges are wont to do when the circumstances are in the best interests of all involved.
By suspending the sentence, the defendant is able to continue working and pay his obligation. Also, a suspension does not absolve the defendant = meaning if he gets in the slightest bit of trouble the sentence is activated.
This is not to minimize the danger/inconvenience his actions caused, but there’s a lot more here than meets the eye.
Let’s let the judges do their job. And let’s respect the independence of the judiciary and a sovereign nation.

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/05/2018 07:07 PM

As I said above in this thread, even the Daily Herald had an editorial stating that they believed the sentence was insufficient.

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/05/2018 08:04 PM

“There’s a lot more here than meets the eye”. Ok can you please enlighten me as to what I’ve missed. Thank you
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/05/2018 08:12 PM

Perhaps the perps familial contacts have something to do with it. Check out the last name. wink

Re: Suspended sentence for bomb threat - 11/05/2018 08:25 PM

Unfortunately I am not familiar with that name. Is there someone in a position of power with that last name as well?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline