TravelTalkOnline

yellow birds

Posted By: RonDon

yellow birds - 11/13/2018 11:24 PM

Anyone on island now----have you seen any yellow (sugar) birds? Last March we saw none. Wondered if they've returned.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: yellow birds - 11/14/2018 12:23 AM

We saw some in May.
Posted By: SandS

Re: yellow birds - 11/14/2018 11:29 AM

Saw a few on Pinel on Monday but no where near as many as there use to be.
Posted By: CaribJoe

Re: yellow birds - 11/14/2018 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by SandS
Saw a few on Pinel on Monday but no where near as many as there use to be.

I used to joke that so many people fed them artificial sweeteners that they all left in search of sugar.

Re: yellow birds - 11/14/2018 05:47 PM

I used to joke that so many people fed them artificial sweeteners that they all left in search of sugar.[/quote]

Ha Ha CaribJoe. We did that once and they wouldn't eat it. Then I realized the packet was Splenda, not sugar. When we stayed at GCBC 6 or 12 came to the table on our lanai every morning. Security man told us people that were in our unit used to give them sugar every morning so we started to also.

And I fed a giant Iguana some lettuce. Every PM he climb the wall, walked over to our unit for his lettuce fix.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: yellow birds - 11/14/2018 06:19 PM

Bet that made a grand mess to clean up. What goes in has to come out.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: yellow birds - 11/14/2018 07:53 PM

Irma took a lot of our wildlife

Re: yellow birds - 11/15/2018 12:10 PM

SXMScubaman. Actually there was no mess. They ate then flew away. But every morning somebody's dog took a dump near the wall and the owner didn't stop to pick it up. We told mgmt and next morning I guess they caught the culprit because it didn't happen after that.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline