TravelTalkOnline

Mosquitos

Posted By: chs225

Mosquitos - 11/16/2018 08:09 PM

Over the years, mosquitoes have always created numerous threads here.
Because of Irma, it has not been a topic of conversation

We will be on the island in 3 weeks. Has the mosquito population been thriving on our blood or has it been a quieter season?
Shall I be loading up on the mosquito milk?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Mosquitos - 11/16/2018 08:30 PM

I would say that since it's been raining a LOT lately, yes you should be prepared for lots of skeeters..
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Mosquitos - 11/16/2018 09:28 PM

Yes we do have an increase in mosquitos. A lot of rain.
Posted By: dolfer

Re: Mosquitos - 11/16/2018 09:46 PM

During our trip in September my wife and daughter suffered mosquito bites every day. Strangely, and much to their chagrin, I never seemed to get bit.
Posted By: pat

Re: Mosquitos - 11/16/2018 11:11 PM

I guess they’re just a lot sweeter than you, Mitch! 😊😊

In absolute honesty, we really haven’t had any moskie issues since our second or third day - that would be the same day I found and bought the off wipes. Haven’t had to use one yet. Lots if rain, yes, but lots of string breezes, too.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Mosquitos - 11/17/2018 02:22 AM

Pat, where did you find the wipes on island? I've always bought and brought!

Luckily, I didn't get one single bite this trip...despite the rains. But I also don't leave the room without a wipe down! wink

And at BSV, we put towel at the front door to keep the buggers out!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Mosquitos - 11/17/2018 05:45 AM

Try suspending a zip lock bag with a little water in it and a few pennies. Works to keep out flying pests.
Posted By: pat

Re: Mosquitos - 11/17/2018 11:56 AM

Leona, I found them at Porto Cupecoy Carrefour quite by accident. I was looking for paper straws.........
Posted By: dolfer

Re: Mosquitos - 11/17/2018 12:51 PM

Pat, you're probably right but whatever is I'll take it. It would exasperate my wife that I wouldn't use any bug repellent.

I suspect that the swampy, stagnant pond right next door to The Belair was part of the problem.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Mosquitos - 11/17/2018 01:08 PM

dolfer--I always get eaten up by mosquitoes and Eric, nary a bite. Very exasperating, for sure! A strong wind does keep the little buggers at bay.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline