TravelTalkOnline

FAA air safety

Posted By: JimandBeth

FAA air safety - 11/18/2018 03:55 PM

There is an AP article by David Koenig in today's Albany Times Union about airline safety. The article says that the FAA determines whether countries meet international safety standards as set by the UN's aviation agency. Five countries currently do not meet those standards and Sint Maarten is one of them. I don't know if he is referring to a French side airport or SXM. Does anyone more familiar with the airline industry know what this means? I was assuming it might just be referring to the hurricane damage that has yet to be fully repaired at SXM.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: FAA air safety - 11/18/2018 04:01 PM

I would think if it mentioned "Sint Maarten" it would be PJIA

Five currently do not — Thailand, Bangladesh, Ghana, Curacao and Sint Maarten.

Article link
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: FAA air safety - 11/18/2018 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by JimandBeth
There is an AP article by David Koenig in today's Albany Times Union about airline safety. The article says that the FAA determines whether countries meet international safety standards as set by the UN's aviation agency. Five countries currently do not meet those standards and Sint Maarten is one of them. I don't know if he is referring to a French side airport or SXM. Does anyone more familiar with the airline industry know what this means? I was assuming it might just be referring to the hurricane damage that has yet to be fully repaired at SXM.

Not sure of an airline in SXM that would want too, or even try too, launch new flights to the US. SXM to the US is serviced by US airlines
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: FAA air safety - 11/18/2018 04:27 PM

Quote from the article "...Airlines from those countries can’t launch new flights to the U.S." Huhm. So how did Jet Blue get permission to fly from FLL to SXM?

Re: FAA air safety - 11/18/2018 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Quote from the article "...Airlines from those countries can’t launch new flights to the U.S." Huhm. So how did Jet Blue get permission to fly from FLL to SXM?

Jet Blue is not from SXM, it is based in the US, the article states that airlines FROM those 5 countries cannot launch new flights to the US, it doesn't say that airlines from the US cannot launch flights from those countries.

Re: FAA air safety - 11/18/2018 04:39 PM

Oh, ok, I misunderstood that quote. Are there any airlines from SXM?? That still doesn't make any sense to me if the security issues are in SXM, whether the airline is a SXM airline, or a US airline, the security is the same??

Re: FAA air safety - 11/18/2018 04:42 PM

There are airlines in SXM, I think that what the article is saying is that SXM as a country, does not have strict enough safety rules for it's airlines, that would allow them to fly to the US
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: FAA air safety - 11/18/2018 05:10 PM

WINAIR

Re: FAA air safety - 11/18/2018 05:20 PM

OK, Winair doesn't have any planes that are even capable of flying to the US, do they??

Re: FAA air safety - 11/18/2018 05:29 PM

Nope but they are based there. I doubt you would ever see any SXM based carrier with direct flights to the US.
Posted By: SXMSAMMY

Re: FAA air safety - 11/18/2018 05:54 PM

Here is the article from the FAA: http://spac.pt/node/1760
Posted By: Bahston

Re: FAA air safety - 11/18/2018 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
OK, Winair doesn't have any planes that are even capable of flying to the US, do they??

SJU and STT are within range. At one time, and perhaps still, Winair was licensed for charters into SJU.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: FAA air safety - 11/19/2018 12:12 AM

No but they can make it to Puerto Rico and St Thomas which is a US Virgin Island.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: FAA air safety - 11/19/2018 12:21 AM

There are alot worse than those 5 countries mentioned. Winair has a great safety record I think.

Re: FAA air safety - 11/19/2018 12:55 PM

Something is a bit weird here....

1) How can a country that MAYBE has ONE airline (Winair which has seven aircraft) be one of the top five airlines that do NOT meet FAA safety standards. The EU bans 120 airlines and SXM beats all but four of them ?

2) Winair is not even on the safety rating list....so how can SXM be number five worst in the world?

Airline saftety comparison list LINK

Re: FAA air safety - 11/19/2018 01:21 PM

I agree, something is just not adding up.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: FAA air safety - 11/19/2018 09:46 PM

My guess is that Country St Maarten does not have the proper levels of oversight and control in place for Country St Maarten-based airlines. This isn’t new. This first came up not too long after 10-10-10.

Re: FAA air safety - 11/19/2018 09:54 PM

Country St Maarten-based airlines

One airline...seven aircraft....made the top five losers in the WORLD in the safety rankings...but not even listed? Not buying it....
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: FAA air safety - 11/20/2018 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bahston
My guess is that Country St Maarten does not have the proper levels of oversight and control in place for Country St Maarten-based airlines. This isn’t new. This first came up not too long after 10-10-10.

Ding...Ding....Ding....we have a winner. Your guess is the correct reason as to why Sint Maarten is listed as a Catagory 2 IASA rating. They are working on regaining catagory 1 status. There is a Daily Herald story here.

Re: FAA air safety - 11/20/2018 11:47 AM

Interesting that they have been a level 2 country since 2012
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline