TravelTalkOnline

Arriving Saturday

Posted By: jsbell

Arriving Saturday - 11/18/2018 06:47 PM

We are heading back for our week at Divi for the first time in two years. Our car is reserved with Leslie Bruce at Kenney’s, Carrefour is reopened for groceries, so we are looking for activity and dining recommendations. Our go to restaurant is La Villa with the 49 euro three course. Anyone know if they are still doing one to one dollar to euro for cash? We used to always hit Temptation or Rare. How is Emilio’s as a substitute? Also, has anyone done the zip line extravaganza at the top of the mountain?

We are also contemplating a day trip to Anguilla. Rental car recommendations? The last time we did a taxi tour with a beach drop off and pick up and would like to see a bit more of the island.

The Butterfly Farm is is one of my wife’s favorite places. Are they reopened?

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/18/2018 06:57 PM

The butterfly farm has NOT reopened. I don't know if they have any plans to reopen. The GOOD news is that, if you haven't been there, you should try Parrottville, which is a great place to visit.

I don't know the answers to your other questions, other than regarding Emilio's. PERSONALLY I do not find Emilio's a suitable substitute for Temptation. We did not find the quality of the food and service to be anywhere close to Temptation. Understand that Emilio's is not totally Dino's baby. The owners are actually Sue and Al Wathey. Your mileage may vary, so you could try it out for yourself.

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/18/2018 07:00 PM

Thanks Carol!
Posted By: pony600

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/18/2018 07:03 PM

La Villa wasn't doing a 49 euro 3 course when we were there in October, but I can assure you that their food is as wonderful as it always was. Not sure about now...
I honestly can't remember if they did a 1:1 for cash.

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/18/2018 07:15 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/18/2018 08:26 PM

Actually no restaurant will do 1 for 1.
Mario Bistrot has a special of $ 34.00 for three course.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/18/2018 08:31 PM

La Main a la Pate is 1:1
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/18/2018 09:28 PM

Leslie, is that Marios $34 lunch or dinner?
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/18/2018 10:01 PM

Dinner.

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/18/2018 11:17 PM

Dinner correct. But we loved them when they where in Sandy Ground. But food is still good.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/19/2018 12:17 AM

With the current exchange rate bouncing around 1.14 it's close enough for me to 1 to 1 to use my CC instead of cash and get the miles too.

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/19/2018 12:28 AM

We gave up the others and only use our Amex.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/19/2018 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kennys

Amex? Really Lesley! lol.....don't a lot of merchants on SXM dislike taking Amex?

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/19/2018 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
Originally Posted by Kennys

Amex? Really Lesley! lol.....don't a lot of merchants on SXM dislike taking Amex?

Ya. I was surprised at that statement too. Wonder if he takes that card too.

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/19/2018 12:29 PM

Yes but also we have our company cheque book. But we do accept Amex. In fact they lowered their fee which helps.

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/19/2018 09:03 PM

Thanks. We ate at Mario’s Sandy Ground location a few years ago. Loved it, but spent way too much! The $34 sounds like a great deal if it is still offered next week.
Posted By: megamania

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/20/2018 04:49 PM

I was surprised to read that credit cards are being used...or is that just at car rental places. I have read many places that it is wise to bring cash this time as many places do not have machines yet for credit cards or debit? Is that correct? I like to use my credit card while on island for meals, etc. But, if cash is needed, I will make plans to bring extra. Anyone shed any light on this?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/20/2018 04:56 PM

Most places are accepting credit cards. There are some places that never took credit cards before, but pretty much everyone who was accepting credit cards before does so now. It's basically necessary for most people that want to deal with tourists.

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/20/2018 04:57 PM

We used credit cards without a problem back in May June.
Posted By: OllieEh

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/21/2018 09:15 PM

La Villa was still 1:1 when paying cash in June. I’m almost positive that they didn’t have the 3 course special. They were still using a temporary menu in June that still included many of our favourites. They were willing to accommodate any changes to the menu. It’s our go to restaurant too. Arguably the best profiteroles on the island and still the same great service.
Posted By: pat

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/21/2018 09:35 PM

Meg,

We are just back and used our CCs at our jewelry store and at many restaurants across the island. They were readily accepted at Melange, Le Moulin Fou, El Zafiro, Mario’s, Chesterfields, Bavaria and a few others whose names escape me right now. I think the only place I recall that absolutely did NOT accept CCs was the Friars Bay Beach Cafe.

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/21/2018 10:33 PM

Hi Pat , did they accepted Amex too ?

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/22/2018 12:03 AM

Not sure, Lesley, as we use a Cap One cashback card most of the time. I love getting those little bonus checks in the mail......

John and I both want to thank you again for the always good service you provide your clients and this trip was no exception to that rule. I take it you found the car and the keys, etc.

it was an incredible two weeks and let me add, we thought we had a reasonable idea of what all of you on SXM experienced at that b itch Irma’s hand but seeing it up close and personal, even at this late date, we had no clue. And as always, kudos to the people of the island for the way they are coping and handling what to so many would be totally debilitating and devastating. 👏👏

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/22/2018 12:09 AM

Thanks Dear and we all are trying our best . Happy Thanksgiving and do enjoy the food. Me and the Wife was invited to a very nice dinner tomorrow evening with good music and great view. About 150 persons and part of the money goes to a foundation .

Re: Arriving Saturday - 11/22/2018 12:58 AM

That sounds like a lovely event and I know you and Shirley will have a good time.

We’re doing dinner at Kim’s house with about 25 family members and it’s always a very special all-family day with some friends, too. We will miss those who are unable to be there but it’s always a very special day for our family.

Happy, happy......
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline