TravelTalkOnline

Airport status

Posted By: Steve Bond

Airport status - 11/30/2018 06:43 PM

Has there been any further updates regarding the airport opening the 1st floor for arrivals and departures by December 15th?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Airport status - 11/30/2018 07:09 PM

All quiet here.

Re: Airport status - 11/30/2018 07:14 PM

Fingers crossed they make the date. April wasn’t bad for us but I’m concerned about our departure during high season.
Posted By: sasasal

Re: Airport status - 11/30/2018 07:21 PM

Really do not think it will be very different in high season. Yes its high season, but how high?

Re: Airport status - 11/30/2018 07:36 PM

Better than last year already.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Airport status - 11/30/2018 07:42 PM

Looking at scheduled arrivals for Saturday there's a crowd coming. At 2:50 pm Airfrance, Delta, Spirit, that should be fun!!!
Then United at 3:15
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Airport status - 11/30/2018 07:52 PM

They are working very hard on both the ground floor and roof. Hoping for the best.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Airport status - 11/30/2018 07:59 PM

If at ALL possible, don't travel to and from SXM on Saturday or Sunday, as the crowds are often really bad then. This was true at the airport even pre-Irma.

I do hope they are able to get into the airport again soon. My totally uneducated guess is that they may not make Dec 15 either, but I hope so!
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Airport status - 11/30/2018 08:54 PM

I cannot imagine a Saturday or Sunday right now. We came in on a Friday which was ok with only two flights. Leaving on a Tuesday was another story. There were 3 flights leaving, then 2 were delayed (KLM & Delta) which then backed it up to MORE flights in the departure area. And I believe we only got out one day before the same AA flight as cancelled, which was a huge debacle.
Posted By: SandS

Re: Airport status - 12/01/2018 02:34 AM

We left on a Friday, Nov. 16th and it was standing room only. The tent was packed and it was hard to maneuver to the restroom. The only good news was it wasn't hot in there. I really hope we are inside by February.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Airport status - 12/01/2018 03:36 AM

Two travel things which I have learned as I have aged - One is “bathroom management” as my needs have changed, and I think a lot more about liquid consumption and facility availability than I did in younger years. The other is carrying a battery-operated personal fan, which can be invaluable in a crowded SXM Departure Tent. The fanalso comes in handy on the many inter-island flights that I take.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Airport status - 12/01/2018 11:36 AM

We arrive today on United 1439 out of Dulles. Supposed to get in at 1:07. We'll let you know how the arrival process goes. Fingers crossed!!
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Airport status - 12/01/2018 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Leagle49
We arrive today on United 1439 out of Dulles. Supposed to get in at 1:07. We'll let you know how the arrival process goes. Fingers crossed!!

Thanks and have a great trip.

Re: Airport status - 12/01/2018 01:59 PM

Leagal49. Very interested in hearing your experience, particularly when you depart as that appears to be the more trying process. Thx!

Re: Airport status - 12/01/2018 08:48 PM

Arrival was not bad at all. Jet blue got there before us, but they had to use the bus, while we were able to walk. That meant there were only a few ahead of us in the immigration line. By the way, all the immigration booths were staffed by Hollanders. Luggage retrieval is a bit of a mess. There are 2 holes in the wall that the bags are pushed through. Handlers then grab the bags and line them up behind a rope. Boy do they work hard. Jet blues luggage came out first, so we had to stand way back until they were done and United luggage started coming out. All said and done it took 30 minutes. The issue is that our 2 planes pretty much filled up the ten. Can't imagine what it would be like with several more planes. The tent was warm but not too bad. I think i saw the departure tent as we left in the shuttle to Unity. There were people waiting in lines outside.

Re: Airport status - 12/01/2018 09:38 PM

Thanks for the recap. Have a great time! We arrive in 2 weeks😎

Re: Airport status - 12/01/2018 10:09 PM

We depart on the 16th. I'll share the departure experience thereafter. Hopefully out of the lower level of the terminal building, but I'm not holding my breath.
Posted By: CinV

Re: Airport status - 12/07/2018 02:36 AM

Left Tuesday and it really was not bad. Makes me miss the old yellow building.

Re: Airport status - 12/07/2018 12:16 PM

They are working day and night and making great progress. Will be ready soon.
Posted By: RI Bob C

Re: Airport status - 12/08/2018 04:28 PM

A lot of supplies have showed up in the last week. The streets in the original departure area are full.

Re: Airport status - 12/09/2018 12:22 AM

Correct Bob and they are really working hard .
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Airport status - 12/09/2018 01:08 PM

We experienced probably the worst yesterday, and the airport staff handled it admirably. Flight 1622 from Miami was delayed 6 hours due to mechanical issues. Those of us waiting to fly out on that plane arrived as recommended, three hours early. We were kept outside until all the other big planes had boarded, as there's just not enough space in the tent for that many people. Our flight eventually departed at10:50; it was scheduled for 5:04. Most passengers handled the delay well, although there were a couple of asshats.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Airport status - 12/09/2018 01:20 PM

"although there were a couple of asshats."
There always are on any flight.

Re: Airport status - 12/09/2018 01:26 PM

Wow, sounds like a very sour end to what was hopefully a nice trip!! I assume almost everyone missed their connections home from there, including you?. How was the trip otherwise?

Re: Airport status - 12/09/2018 01:41 PM

A taxi driver friend posted a video yesterday of the lines outside and mess at the airport. It did not look like fun.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Airport status - 12/09/2018 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Wow, sounds like a very sour end to what was hopefully a nice trip!! I assume almost everyone missed their connections home from there, including you?. How was the trip otherwise?

Carol,

Georgia is stuck in Miami! frown

After their 6 hour delay they got into Miami at 3 am and were sent to a hotel in Homestead. She is changing hotels today to something much nicer, but is trapped until Tuesday.

What a way to end her trip.

Re: Airport status - 12/09/2018 06:56 PM

Wow ok that sucks..

Re: Airport status - 12/09/2018 07:37 PM

Snow in NC is not going to help the situation.

Re: Airport status - 12/09/2018 07:39 PM

Yeah, not fun. We would have gotten home last night if we had departed SXM on time, but with the weather today's flights are cancelled and tomorrow's are booked. Thinking of heading to South Beach tomorrow, as we've never been there. Making lemonade....
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Airport status - 12/09/2018 08:48 PM

Sorry to hear of the delay for your return Georgia. Spending 3 extra days on the road is not appreciated when you are trying to get home. Lemonade is good. Enjoy South Beach!
Posted By: pat

Re: Airport status - 12/09/2018 08:50 PM

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with lemonade as long as you’re of the right mindset........sorry about the ending to your SXM days but the beat goes on........ so make the most of it. And I know you will. ENJOY!
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: Airport status - 12/09/2018 11:36 PM

Try the Fountainblue. Still great after all the years. Joe’s Stone Crab for dinner. That’s top shelf lemonade!
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 03:30 AM

If at all possible, don't miss Joe's Stone Crab restaurant. Sorry about the end of your trip. Hope you make it end well in South Beach. Good luck.
Posted By: Julius

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 06:32 AM

Airport terminal to reopen as tents come down as of Dec. 15

Daily Herald link

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 11:14 AM

We fly out on Sunday the 16th. Fingers crossed!
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 11:54 AM

Lots of lemonade to make in Miami from South Beach to Haulover. One caution is traffic back to airport. Hit the facilities before you go and think the worst and hope for the best. Rental car return location is strange the first time. Have to take train back to terminal.

After making a lot of lemonade in Miami, we just camp out at an airport hotel now. Stay bridge Suites Doral. Quiet with a Miller’s ale house in the parking lot. Zero stress.
Posted By: wendyk

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 11:58 AM

Hope you enjoy your day in Sounth Beach today, and that things will be cleared out for you weather-wise, when you get home.

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 12:03 PM

We're staying at the Hyatt Place right next to the airport, and have not rented a car. We'll Uber to South Beach today, and take the hotel shuttle to the airport in the morning. AA put us in a seedy motel 50 miles from the airport our first night; we're on our own dime now, and will argue with them about reimbursement later; no way I was staying there again. I understand that the venture card also has travel delay benefits. Right now all I care about is being comfortable and feeling safe.

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 02:21 PM

I couldn't believe it when I heard AA sent you to Haulover!!! Unbelieveable!! No way I would stay in a fleabag motel either. We always purchase trip insurance now and it supposedly has travel delay insurance, but I've never really worried about that part of it. You didn't have any trip insurance??

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 02:22 PM

Great news!! Not sure a Saturday is the right day for them to work out all the kinks at the new place, but it sounds like hopefully they will open on time.

I was trying to figure out from that story, they are not talking about a VIP lounge opening as of this Saturday, are they?

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 04:03 PM

The way I read it is it will be open as part of first phase and this opening is the first phase.

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 04:07 PM

OK, that's really good news, if so! A VIP lounge has been sorely missed! Hopefully someone will be out of there very soon and can tell us all about what is there.

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 04:54 PM

Progress is good, yet Diamond Resorts is still looking at 2020....go figure.

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 05:05 PM

You've really got a thing for Diamond Resorts with no financial intrests in it.
Posted By: irina

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 05:19 PM

Or Wynwood. Lot's of fun stuff there. Or Design District.
Have fun.

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
You've really got a thing for Diamond Resorts with no financial intrests in it.

Many friends who own there and we also rent there and have for many years, so I do have some financial INTERESTS in the situation. Actually, one of the other couples I share the penthouse with was considering purchasing 3 weeks as the owner was talking about selling. I might have been a part of that until this fiasco reared itself.

The reality of the situation is, they are taking a very long time when compared to other properties.

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 05:49 PM

As I said before. They are taking the necessary time to do it right. Not like some other resorts that did bandaid repairs, like Divi, and have bad odors and mold issues as have been reported by visitors here on this forum.
Posted By: Tom

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 08:26 PM

Original post is about arrivals and departures at SXM airport.
Thread morphed into subjective resort comparison.
We all have our favorites. Restaurants, rental cars companies, beaches.
Can we stay on point?
I know I will get blasted on this one but my school never had a debate team.

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 08:31 PM

Was just there and was able to look and walked inside . They will be ready for Saturday.

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tom
Original post is about arrivals and departures at SXM airport.
Thread morphed into subjective resort comparison.
We all have our favorites. Restaurants, rental cars companies, beaches.
Can we stay on point?
I know I will get blasted on this one but my school never had a debate team.

Good point.

Re: Airport status - 12/10/2018 09:24 PM

Lesley--great to hear!
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: Airport status - 12/11/2018 02:40 PM

It looks like the first flight (from Saba) went through the new arrivals area this morning.

https://721news.com/local-news/arrivals-pavilion-section-open-to-passengers/

Re: Airport status - 12/11/2018 02:55 PM

Great news! And good to see they are starting small with a small aircraft, to get some kinks worked out.
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: Airport status - 12/13/2018 08:07 PM

Are the large planes using the terminal yet? I can't really tell from the sxmislandcam if the large jets are using the jetways yet.

Re: Airport status - 12/13/2018 08:37 PM

I don't believe jetways will be in use until the second floor is open. The first phase is to open on the first floor where you walk or bus to the plane.

Re: Airport status - 12/13/2018 08:41 PM

I was wondering about that myself, as to whether the jetways are in use. How long is the first phase supposed to last?
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: Airport status - 12/13/2018 10:06 PM

I'd be interested to know that too. When we were there in September the arrival wasn't all that bad. We came in on Delta flight but since it was a Saturday there were a few planes arriving and the baggage claim was a little slow but not too bad overall. The departure wasn't as great but again they are doing the best they can with the hand that was dealt to them. Waiting outside until the Delta agent came to the table was a bit warm and once inside the tents A/C was not fully functional plus the additional people waiting made it very sticky. It would be nice if the 2nd floor is opened soon because the idea of arriving 2 hours ahead of the flight would be much more palatable if there was more room and A/C. We'll be back in June and have our fingers crossed that there will be more construction done by then.

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 12:45 AM

I was wondering about that myself, as to whether the jetways are in use. How long is the first phase supposed to last?

I imagine untill the 2nd floor can accommodate passengers since that is where the jetways connect to.

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 01:19 AM

But, how long is that supposed to be?? Anyone know? People with lowered mobility have a lot of problems going up and down airplane stairs..

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 06:12 AM

No idea. Hopefully passengers with mobility situations can get assistance in sxm like they do in many major airports.

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 08:06 AM

But, how long is that supposed to be?? Anyone know? People with lowered mobility have a lot of problems going up and down airplane stairs..

When I arrived in SXM last month they rolled a zig-zag ramp up to the JetBlue aircraft. It’s not as good as a jet bridge, but it’s better than stairs. It was a 3-level ramp, zig-zag-zig. I don’t know if that’s what all arriving aircraft get, or if some still get stairs.

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 11:01 AM

When we arrived on Dec 1 we parked close to one of the jet bridges. We used stairs to exit of course but you cloud get a close look at the jet bridge. It was clear that they are not usable. The ends have been ripped off.

Ir was my understanding that departures were supposed to be moved indoors to the lower level yesterday. Anyone know if that happened and if so how it went?

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 11:57 AM

Yes, it up and running. Friends arrived through the new temporary terminal inside and all went smoothly.

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 02:11 PM

I couldn't believe it when I heard AA sent you to Haulover!!! Unbelieveable!! No way I would stay in a fleabag motel either. We always purchase trip insurance now and it supposedly has travel delay insurance, but I've never really worried about that part of it. You didn't have any trip insurance??

Carol, they sent us to Homestead (not that it matters, still a ridiculous distance!). We do have trip insurance, and will file a claim with that, as well as the credit card.

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 02:20 PM

duh Sorry, got my H's mixed up!!

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 02:22 PM

PJIA has announced that the Arrival and Departure Halls are now operational.

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 02:22 PM

Bahston--It must vary by aircraft. Leagle says he used regular stairs on December 1, which is what we used back in June.

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 03:44 PM

On our arrival back in November we had the zig zag thing at front of place and stairs at the back.

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 03:53 PM

I used regular stair on Jetblue in September this year and only carry on.

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 04:10 PM

Elaine--was that Jet Blue also?

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 04:59 PM

Yes, Jet Blue

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 05:15 PM

OK, thanks. Sounds like Jet Blue is doing it and not AA... Anyone travelled on Delta lately? We will be on Delta in June..
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 05:24 PM

Westjet had stairs for arrival and curved ramp for departure. It may depend on the airline as to the method used.

Re: Airport status - 12/14/2018 05:46 PM

OK thanks.

Re: Airport status - 12/15/2018 12:35 AM

They all have stairs . I did AA in April and Jet Blue in September.

Re: Airport status - 12/15/2018 01:12 AM

I would think it's probably what is available at the time and what the pilot requests to be used.

Re: Airport status - 12/15/2018 12:44 PM

Departure operations moved back inside yesterday! Here is a link to the airport's Facebook page that has pictures. Not sure if you have to be a Facebook member to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/sxmairport...fFmWc5EgqlYm4srA&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARD34JYNKwq7jaqP8T7nAzmifYNB2HdPpDQrm4_misTrOsOMcx37eumaWH1-B5mcaYnR5NIYVBXoj9JicY2b-z-FYYhoZcpglrvRhW2Mm7l6ehFtQGjlgxQRtwCi0XFNb4aRZCG1df4almkj9RElAHzidyTBI7EhgX5-mlA5BU1I1GXh6Pq3W32xP5ozGYxRBAt1Dw3cjFVwN0XOzP2NZScwaSamGI9wbr5ir6rzTdkQ0R29QZZW0OZtMPRQLpqoHNqy7n3n5cAEfzXdxmOodIkVRqtHWALhvJj05KQqp25YpIt05R69pboZazLqD-KFLd_cdCpksCXhOuHyTmv7
Posted By: RI Bob C

Re: Airport status - 12/15/2018 01:04 PM

Dot wheelchairs it and last week she appreciated the zig zag ramp to Jet Blue because she could be pushed up it to the door instead of climbing stairs.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Airport status - 12/15/2018 01:54 PM

link doesn't work but just going to the SXMAirport Facebook page does...

Link for SXM Airport page

Re: Airport status - 12/16/2018 08:36 PM

Comments from a friend who transited through SXM yesterday included “bring water, give yourself as much time as possible and keep your expectations low”.
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: Airport status - 12/16/2018 08:54 PM

Wow sounds a lot worse than the tents then, very Strange

Re: Airport status - 12/16/2018 09:36 PM

As far as 'bringing water', even if the regular airport, pre-Irma, there were no water fountains, so you had to buy water. And you CAN'T bring water through security. Would be interested to hear more particulars about their experience though, and whether they had been through the tents or not.

Re: Airport status - 12/17/2018 04:13 AM

Their arrival was through the tents a week earlier. On departure they spent 90 minutes waiting in line for boarding passes and baggage check. Also long lines for Passport Control, and for Security. They hit the Superfecta - New terminal, Saturday, no Boarding Passes and Checked Bags. It would likely have been much easier on a different day, and with carry-on and pre-printed boarding passes.

Re: Airport status - 12/17/2018 04:23 AM

Have had several friends transit via the "new" terminal and all said they had no issues. But they don't fly Saturdays.

Re: Airport status - 12/17/2018 02:31 PM

OK. I wonder whether they have the machines that print boarding passes or whether everyone has to stand in line to get them? Maybe not. The machines were a big help at the terminal. Print boarding passes and bag tags there..

And yes, we never fly on Saturdays either..

Re: Airport status - 12/17/2018 02:35 PM

Editorial in the Daily Herald today.
Link
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Airport status - 12/17/2018 05:09 PM

We got there early, before the long lines, and had our passes printed in a minute. Johny Burger & Domino's have trucks outside, you can either eat there at the picnic tables or they will have the food delivered to the waiting area. The only issue: They never announced boarding for our flight, we heard our names paged, in a rush to board I tripped & fell. I think we were the last ones to board, but there was still a line in the cabin, so we didn't delay anything. A shock to our system when we reached EWR - 37F & pouring.

Re: Airport status - 12/17/2018 05:34 PM

So, there is not food INSIDE the waiting area? If you have your food delivered inside, not sure how that would work?? Did you notice whether there is in fact a VIP lounge?

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I hope you didn't injure yourself?? Welcome back to cold reality!!
Posted By: bethandsteve

Re: Airport status - 12/17/2018 07:05 PM

We flew out Sunday afternoon. We arrived 2 hours before our departure time. Ticket lines were long but AA did go pretty quickly. Johnny Burger and Dominos were selling in the departure area. They may have been getting the food from the trucks, I know Dominos did. Bar was busy. Other than leaving an hour late because folks could not figure out how to store their carry-ons, the experience was ok.

Re: Airport status - 12/17/2018 07:17 PM

We departed SXM yesterday (very sad!) Our departure experience was not bad at all. We got to the airport about 12:15 for our 3:15 flight to Newark on United. There was no one ahead of us at the united counter so check in was fast. Passport control and security were likewise quick. We got to the departure area about 12:30. Departure gates are out of the old "B" gate areas. You can't go into that area until about 30 minutes before boarding so it does get over crowded. There is a big area before that with a bar, several food concessions and a duty free liquor spot and restrooms. It was pleasantly cool. There were a number of flights on Sunday afternoon including KLM. It was full but there were almost always seats available. Once we got into the B gate area it was very crowded, about like it's always been down there, but still not hot. We were able to walk to our plane. Stairs to the front and back which proved a huge challenge to several people who were in wheelchairs. Overall we were really pleasantly surprised. Not a bad experience at all. I posted some pictures on the "Friends of Simpson Bay (Pelican) Resort St Martin SXM" Facebook page for those that have access. It's a closed group. Sorry.

Re: Airport status - 12/17/2018 07:18 PM

Thanks for the info. Was that the only food in the departure area? Again, did you notice if there was a VIP lounge? What about a smoking lounge?

Re: Airport status - 12/17/2018 07:21 PM

I did not see a smoking lounge or a VIP lounge. There were 5 or 6 separate food concession in the departure lounge area as well as a bar.

Re: Airport status - 12/17/2018 07:23 PM

OK, thanks. Actually doesn't sound like there is a heck of a lot more food available than in the tents. The Daily Herald story seemed to indicate there was going to be a VIP Lounge, but perhaps it just isn't open yet.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline