MD-80 very low & “wrongway” takeoff video - 12/11/2018 01:24 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jzRUR...AZbuwSl4Sc&t=14&feature=youtu.be

I don’t know how low but pretty darn low
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: MD-80 very low & “wrongway” takeoff video - 12/11/2018 04:05 AM

Think it was the angle and wide screen that makes it appear that way
Posted By: mdldgl

Re: MD-80 very low & “wrongway” takeoff video - 12/11/2018 05:03 AM

Normally don’t planes take off heading away from the water? Is this something new to avoid people and cars getting hit by the jet blast during takeoff?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: MD-80 very low & “wrongway” takeoff video - 12/11/2018 05:15 AM

No. It's the pilots option on which direction they take off. Sometimes its the load weight or fuel load. Seen it that way many times in the past.
Posted By: Wingman

Re: MD-80 very low & “wrongway” takeoff video - 12/11/2018 10:22 AM

Wind direction and speed also play a factor in this decision. When we were there the end of October, there were a lot more taking off in that direction than usual.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: MD-80 very low & “wrongway” takeoff video - 12/11/2018 11:18 AM

Yup...I've seen MANY take off over the water...mostly in the late afternoon/evening when the incoming flights are minimal
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: MD-80 very low & “wrongway” takeoff video - 12/11/2018 12:27 PM

See them frequently. Typically when there is little to no wind.
Posted By: kccouple

Re: MD-80 very low & “wrongway” takeoff video - 12/11/2018 04:49 PM

As a retired photographer, you can tell by the curving photo he was using a very wide angle lens that distorts the picture. the plane was no lower than when they take off in the regular direction.
Posted By: Airlegs

Re: MD-80 very low & “wrongway” takeoff video - 12/11/2018 05:20 PM

If the wind is calm, the pilot can request a take off from either direction of the runway and the tower will accommodate, if able to balance traffic with arrivals and departures. Normally, most airports and some airlines allow you take take off with a maximum 10 kt tailwind, though some airlines require 5-6 kt max tailwind. Pretty much everywhere a 30kt crosswind is the limit too. I have seen many takeoffs from 28 in St. Maarten. My son informed me that one airline pre-Irma, I think it was Nui or Nuit, only did take offs from 28. But to land on 28 is restricted to smaller aircraft. I got to experience a landing on 28 3 years ago on a small twin turboprop, but it’s rare. It’s also interesting to note that most airports in the Caribbean have east/west landings because of the wind pattern. Many runways are 28/10. Or very close. Insel was famous for doing low landings and takeoffs. I imagine the MD 80’s and B 757’s will be phased out soon as most of these planes are 30-40 years old. B 777 and 767 will be soon replaced as well for passenger service. I remember when the 777 was new! Makes me feel old!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline