TravelTalkOnline

LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna)

Posted By: Bahston

LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna) - 12/14/2018 04:55 PM

LVMH is buying Belmond, which owns La Samanna, Cap Juluca, the Orient Express, 21 Club in NYC, and a slew of other properties. The sale is expected to close in the first half of 2019. LVMH owns the Cheval Blanc Île de France on St Barth, and acquired the adjacent Hotel Taiwana prior to Irma.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/14/investing/lvmh-belmond-hotels-deal/index.html
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna) - 12/14/2018 06:12 PM

Who is LVMH?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna) - 12/14/2018 06:16 PM

Check the link. It says.
Posted By: kim

Re: LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna) - 12/14/2018 11:00 PM

Isn’t Belmont who is involved in “14 on Mullet”?
Posted By: Bahston

Re: LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna) - 12/15/2018 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by kim
Isn’t Belmont who is involved in “14 on Mullet”?

I don't know, but I doubt it. If Belmond were involved then the Belmond name would be prominent, and you could probably add an extra "0" to the prices. The anonymity of 14 Mullet speaks volumes to me.

Re: LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna) - 12/15/2018 03:50 AM

Belmont Mullet 14

So what is the difference with Belmont and Belmond?
Posted By: NeilRooney

Re: LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna) - 12/15/2018 04:36 AM

Belmond runs Cap Juluca on Anguilla and La Samana on St Martin

Re: LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna) - 12/15/2018 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by kim

So what is the difference with Belmont and Belmond?

Sorry, I can't resist!!! A "t" versus a "d"!!! rofl

My feeling is that this is a standard SXM ploy--naming something really similar to another company, with the deliberate intent to confuse the consumer..

Re: LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna) - 12/15/2018 03:35 PM

Haha exactly! Because when you google the “belmonT” brand I can’t find anything. Or......could the original article in TDH have been a typo? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Re: LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna) - 12/15/2018 06:34 PM

Yeah, could be a typo in the original DH story, but my thought is a deliberate attempt to deceive..
Posted By: PrairieGirl

Re: LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna) - 12/15/2018 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Yeah, could be a typo in the original DH story, but my thought is a deliberate attempt to deceive..

OK, I'm really confused about where this thread is going. The original link was to a CNN story not the DH and if you google Belmond, you will now find many news stories from reputable sources about their purchase by LVMH.

Which to answer the question asked earlier is Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy. (I figured out the first two initials from the original story but not the last two until I found this: "Luxury goods maker Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy has agreed to buy Belmond, the owner of hotels including Venice's landmark Cipriani, for $3.2 billion including debt to increase its presence in upmarket hospitality."

Or is the quote above in reference to the Mullet 14 group naming themselves Belmont so that somebody might think Belmond instead?

Re: LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna) - 12/15/2018 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by PrairieGirl
Originally Posted by Carol_Hill

Or is the quote above in reference to the Mullet 14 group naming themselves Belmont so that somebody might think Belmond instead?

Yes..

Re: LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna) - 12/15/2018 09:25 PM

Yes - read the link in my post from TDH. Was trying to see if it’s a connection, as it’s very confusing!!
Posted By: PrairieGirl

Re: LVMH Buying Belmond (La Samanna) - 12/15/2018 10:47 PM

Ah Kim, now I see how the conversation developed. On my screen there is no way to tell that your sentence "Belmont Mullet 14" is a link!! The underline didn't appear until I held my cursor over it, not sure why.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline