TravelTalkOnline

Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM

Posted By: PelicanPirate

Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/17/2018 04:14 AM

Looking for a store that sells the sheer spray sunscreen preferably in Simpson Bay. Last time we brought from home one can failed and ruined clothes and suitcase, so prefer to get on arrival.

Thanks.
Posted By: EWortman

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/19/2018 02:21 PM

I saw it at Pharmacy in Maho,
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/19/2018 02:29 PM

We always put all sunscreen, lotions etc. in sealed ziplock bags in our checked luggage. If it leaks it's no biggie....
Posted By: JohnandBev

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/19/2018 03:02 PM

Boucharda has it - zip lok bags for anything that can leak - also helps with grouping similar items once you arrive

J&B

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/19/2018 03:23 PM

I remember a couple of years ago returning with the remaining half bag of DD coffee. When we opened the checked bag the pressure difference had sucked out all the coffee and distributed it around the suitcase...made for some needing to be washed coffee smelling clothes. Not a major issue but into the baggie it now goes .......

I should have known 'cuz when we arrive the bag of coffee is like a solid, wrinkled brick after having all the air sucked out
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/19/2018 03:46 PM

Along with putting all questionable leakable items in a ziplock I also take that blue painters tape and secure the flip tops shut before it goes in my checked bag..
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/19/2018 03:57 PM

We only travel with carry-ons. But we do ship a lot of stuff, including liquids, from the states. Anything with a cap of any kind gets duct tape and a ziplock!!
Posted By: pat

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/19/2018 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
We only travel with carry-ons. But we do ship a lot of stuff, including liquids, from the states. Anything with a cap of any kind gets duct tape and a ziplock!!

I’m a big fan of duct taping things inside the ziplock bag, too. Had a harder plastic cap crack once inside the ziplock and it was still a mess to clean up even though it was contained. And I lost half the sunscreen. 👎

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/19/2018 04:08 PM

Elaine and Pat. Try the blue painters tape. Easy to remove and reuse if need be.
Posted By: pat

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/19/2018 05:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but for this one purpose I prefer using the sure thing. I use the painters tape on my luggage handles but don't want to chance it where liquids are concerned. A little nail polish remover gets rid of the gunky stuff with no problem.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/22/2018 02:23 AM

Thanks. As for packing, i think we did pretty well but the can under pressure failed and the ziplock didnt do its job. We may try again but its good to know where to go.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/22/2018 02:34 AM

Actually aerosol cans aren't allowed in checked bags. And that is why. Check the tsa site.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/22/2018 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Actually aerosol cans aren't allowed in checked bags. And that is why. Check the tsa site.

Sorry - not true.

TSA LINK
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/22/2018 11:30 AM

Thanks for posting that link jazz gal. It raised question as to why only 3 oz liquid when a person can take 5 containers of 3 oz each then combine them into something lethal once on a plane. But then someone posted TSA is government and government doesn't always make sense. LOL

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/22/2018 12:13 PM

Thanks, as a pilot 👩‍✈️ I thought so

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/22/2018 01:00 PM

I stand corrected. Thanks for the link for clarification.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/22/2018 01:01 PM

Thanks for that link...thought that it the case.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/22/2018 01:44 PM

Thanks jazzgal. I have often taken aerosol cans in checked luggage and was thinking that I had violated TSA rules and didn't know it.
Posted By: pony600

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/22/2018 05:53 PM

Hmmm, they made me remove my hairspray from my checked bag coming home in October...

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/22/2018 07:12 PM

SXM security might be different from tsa.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/22/2018 08:52 PM

They looked in your checked bag at check-in/baggage drop? That would be before security...

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/23/2018 01:41 AM

That would be part of security.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/23/2018 04:15 AM

Just to keep things confused... American Airlines lists “spray cans” as prohibited items.

Click on “Pressurized containers/compressed gasses” on this link:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/restricted-items.jsp

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/23/2018 04:17 AM

How bout the travel size of barbasol shaving cream, been carried on for 17 years
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/23/2018 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bahston
Just to keep things confused... American Airlines lists “spray cans” as prohibited items.

Click on “Pressurized containers/compressed gasses” on this link:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/restricted-items.jsp

But look at the bullet item above that one - Personal Care

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/23/2018 12:28 PM

Well everything is “clear” now smile. I think we are good with our small personal care items.

So, one peraon said they saw Neutrogena Spray Sunscreen at a Pharmacy in Maho. Thanks. Anybody else seen it.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/23/2018 12:33 PM

I must be lucky because I have never had security go through my checked bags before a flight. I just hand them off to when I get my boarding pass and THEN go through security. They might be scanned behind the scenes but never in my presence.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/23/2018 02:24 PM

Pelican--one person said they saw it, yes. Although something could be an item they regularly carry and they happen to be out of it when you want it. You might drop Jeannie a note and ask if she knows if it seems to always be on hand in stores.

We always put all our liquids inside ziplocks. Even if they leak, they only leak onto the other liquid bottles.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/23/2018 02:37 PM

We also carry the small Barbasol every time we travel. No problems ever.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/23/2018 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanPirate
Well everything is “clear” now smile. I think we are good with our small personal care items.

So, one peraon said they saw Neutrogena Spray Sunscreen at a Pharmacy in Maho. Thanks. Anybody else seen it.

The Maho Market also carries it. As does the pharmacy in Simpson Bay near Zee Best.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/23/2018 04:09 PM

I wish they would stop making that spray sunscreen. When ever I see someone apply it 90% goes in the atmosphere and a little on the body. I can usually tell when someone has used it as it is a splotchy sunburn because they don't spread or rub it in to get proper coverage. Manufactures must love it as a can doesn't last long. I hate it as the spray from someone next to me usually drifts onto my glasses. I'm done with the rant.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/23/2018 05:46 PM

Thanks

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/23/2018 05:50 PM

Well the wind can do things but this stuff is pretty good if you find a spot away from folks and point into the wind. Dry, sheer, and great protection. Im fair slinned and I can burn pretty good and since using this stuff i can stay in the sun all day without an umbrella. Im not a dermatologist of course that is bad but this stuff is good and better than anything. And i dont have to use 70, 35 works great if iut of 70.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 12/23/2018 06:13 PM

I was just on the Sunset Beach Bar camera and saw a woman spray her daughter. Most of it caught the wind and no rub down either. I could see the cloud of spray clear as day miss most of her.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/07/2019 02:59 PM

You were right. Maho is the only place we found the spray. $14 for small can. Double Walmart.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/07/2020 02:08 PM

So the Maho Market no longer carries it. The Maho Pharmacie had 1 can of spray and they called Phillips urg and no joy.

This stuff works great for fair skin in the tropics. If you use it, you better bring it in your checked bag.

Also, nowhere on the french side.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/07/2020 07:08 PM

Pelican, not only have I seen it, purchased it at Maho pharmacy but it was almost the same price we pay at home. I believe we also saw it at the Carrefore in Jordan Village. .. just past Maho take right turn up toward university. It's a small area with a couple of restaurants and the grocery store.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/07/2020 07:49 PM

I saw it at Maho Pharmacy this last May. If they are out they can have it brought in or you could email them and they would have it for you when you got there. Same with Pharmacy in Simpson Bay.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/07/2020 10:31 PM

Thanks

Maho RX had 1 can and I did buy it. Their other store in Pburg was fresh out as the pharmacist made a call..

We were down by the cruise ships at a market and pharmacie. Nope.

I paid $15 bucks here at Maho Pharmacy and less than $8 at home. I wont chance it next time. Ill buy it tape, tape it and bag it and sleep good.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/07/2020 11:25 PM

Right, we tape it to go down and risk a little loss---but leave the leftovers when we leave.

That way you have the product you want and don't have to shop before hitting the beach.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/07/2020 11:59 PM

Just remember aerosols aren't allowed in checked bags.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/08/2020 12:15 AM

Just remember aerosols aren't allowed in checked bags.

I don't believe that is correct.

From TSA: "TSA requires travelers to place liquids, gels, creams and aerosols in quantities larger than 3.4 ounces (100 ml) in checked luggage."

Hair spray: TSA LINK
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/08/2020 12:16 AM

Mine is always in a checked bag. But in a Ziploc bag first!

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/08/2020 12:31 AM

The key word is "Toiletry-type aerosols" allowed in checked bags. Depends who is checking whether sunscreen will pass for that.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/08/2020 12:39 AM

The key word is "Toiletry-type aerosols" allowed in checked bags. Depends who is checking whether sunscreen will pass for that.

I took a 5.5 oz aerosol container of sunscreen in November without incident and also a 6.5 oz aerosol of insect repellent in the same checked bag. They were double bagged in a zip-loc bag and packed with clothing. No problem and seems pretty clear to me, at least according to the TSA.

Does this link below make it clear?

TSA SUNSCREEN

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/08/2020 12:43 AM

There again it depends on who is checking especially with bug spray. I take my pump bug spray.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/08/2020 01:00 AM

There again it depends on who is checking especially with bug spray. I take my pump bug spray.

TSA WHAT CAN I BRING

You might want to look specifically at "Bug Repellent", it indicates it can go in a checked bag.

TSA BUG REPELLENT

Yes the TSA agent has the final say but since TSA makes the rules, I would feel pretty comfortable going by what is posted on their own website and print out the specific item if it is that important

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/08/2020 01:27 AM

Good link.

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/08/2020 03:03 AM

We hauled both sunscreen and bug spray via TSA and US airports all through Asia in checked baggage.
Posted By: I_AM_CDN

Re: Neutrogena Sunscreen on SXM - 01/08/2020 04:52 PM

In June I flew Fort McMurray (oilsands project) to Calgary and then red eye to Toronto.
In Calgary the security screener stole my two Jello chocolate pudding cups.
Yoghurt is allowed in similar sized containers so I am not sure what is so threatening about pudding. Being close to mid-night he may have just had the munchies but seeing that he had a uniform I didn't argue.
(100 meters off airport property these screeners are minor minions but give them a uniform and they are all powerful; double so if the uniform has epaulettes.)
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline