TravelTalkOnline

Please add places to buy to boost the local economy.

Posted By: the captain

Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/13/2019 06:26 PM

Will be there in a week. And while we can just and and go to Carrefour, we are looking to use SXM Drop Grocery again. A loaded fridge on arrival is just PARADISE!!!! I have to support such a great business idea!

But while we have lots of recommendations on food, can we get more recommendations?

Likewise, leaving the beach clothes at home so we can buy swim suits and dresses (her) locally.

My wife was about to buy some 'sundresses' and wraps on amazon but I told her to forget that and buy in SXM. Would you please throw out some recommendations on where to get some quality stuff down on the island? Detailed embroidered goods are up her alley. Trying to avoid tourist traps and focus on local quality. Thanks!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/13/2019 06:40 PM

Most all clothing is brought in for resale from other countries.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/13/2019 08:01 PM

IMHO leaving your clothes behind and planning to buy in SXM is not a good idea. There are many ways to support the island but clothes shopping is not one of them. Jewelry is a better idea . It is winter where I am now so summer clothes are not in the mall yet. Online shopping is the way to go for sundresses with many styles on clearance from last season.

https://www.stage.com/b/women-clothing/clearance/N-1t163ppZ6vnnfjZ14psdbp/
Posted By: pat

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/13/2019 08:08 PM

And to take what sxmmartini has already said a step farther, you’re gonna be in a heap of trouble if your wife follows your advice and ends up wasting her valuable vacation time shopping for clothes she probably won’t care that much for anyway. SXM is not an island that really requires serious dressing up unless it’s your personal preference and a couple of well thought out mix and match capris outfits and sundresses are really all you need plus a couple of swimsuits and wraps.

Lots of other great ways to support the island economy, Jeannie being but one of our many favorites.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/13/2019 09:00 PM

Always nice to shop in the French capitol Marigot and get some French label clothing, shoes.

Marigot Market on Saturday mornings and daily Wednesdays for wraps, T's handmade items.

Phillipsburg, capitol of Dutch Side Front Street at end furthest from the ship dock for beach wear, linens, tablecloths. Mid section back to dock electronics, jewelry.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 12:47 AM

There's a shop in Philipsburg, Forever New, that sells high end swimsuits. Shan is the brand that I have purchased there, and it's excellent.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 01:30 AM

Endless Summer has nice swimwear and coverups.
Posted By: pony600

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 01:34 AM

Secret Spot at the Marigot Market has quality tee shirts. The lady's husband creates the designs on the shirts.
Posted By: the captain

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by sxmmartini
IThere are many ways to support the island but clothes shopping is not one of them. Jewelry is a better idea . It is winter where I am now so summer clothes are not in the mall ye

Thanks.

Originally Posted by pat
if your wife follows your advice ...
That was a big *if* the orders are in the mail. LOL Thanks for the advice though all! Endless summer sounded familiar... Then I realized a local ski shop here is Never summer....never mind. LOL
Posted By: Allison731

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 01:07 PM

How good is Carrefour? My dad said we used to have it in the US and it was kind of like a Walmart Supercenter.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 01:08 PM

Not at all like Walmart. It's a grocery store

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 01:11 PM

Oh, ok. I heard it also had clothes and home improvement supplies.

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 01:12 PM

They do not.
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 02:31 PM

Carrefour did briefly operate two supercenter-like stores in the US (PA and NJ) and continues to operate stores like that in other countries. But the SXM stores are grocery only.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 02:37 PM

Huh. I never knew that. I learned something today.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Allison731
How good is Carrefour? My dad said we used to have it in the US and it was kind of like a Walmart Supercenter.

Allison, have your parents told you where you are staying? Guessing there will be a kitchen if you are interested in grocery stores?

Last thing I wanted to do as a teenager was grocery shop or cook! lol

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 03:27 PM

Ahhh, but shopping is such fun here! So many different choices from all over the world.
Posted By: LINNY

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 04:47 PM

have bought some great suits at a shop in Marina Royale, the last one I bought(Nov) was actually $20 less then
the on line price... There are some cute clothing shops in the Marina as well

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
Originally Posted by Allison731

Allison, have your parents told you where you are staying? Guessing there will be a kitchen if you are interested in grocery stores?

Last thing I wanted to do as a teenager was grocery shop or cook! lol

Lol I thought it had a lot more than food. I was told there was one in Philly that also had clothes and electronics, but it was gone before I was born.
Posted By: pat

Re: Please add places to buy to boost the local economy. - 02/14/2019 06:16 PM

Allison,

At the ripe old age of seventeen, i’m Guessing you’re in school still? You could probably do a lot of SXM research in your school’s media lab but really, do you want to worry about all this stuff when you’re a teenager visiting a beautiful Caribbean Island like St. Martin? Go! Relax! Experience! Enjoy! And don’t worry about things.......your trip will be wonderful.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline