TravelTalkOnline

Possible drowning at Mullet today

Posted By: PelicanPirate

Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/20/2019 08:47 PM

Friends on the island texted that some lady may have drowned at Mullet today. Anybody know more?
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/20/2019 08:57 PM

https://www.sxm-talks.com/the-daily...ns-on-mullet-bay-beach-the-daily-herald/
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/20/2019 08:59 PM

I was just getting ready to post a link to the Daily Herald story. Condolences to her family and friends.
Posted By: VGerfo

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/20/2019 09:03 PM

We were there after her body was brought to the beach. As far as we know she was not a strong swimmer, came off a catamaran and was with her children and/or grandchildren. It was very sad. Hope my info was s correct.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/20/2019 09:25 PM

Very sad.
Posted By: NebraskaLori

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/20/2019 09:50 PM

We were there today, too. We heard allergic reaction. We also heard people yelling for an epi pin. Whole family was there, not sure if off cruise ship or not but there were 5 ships in port today & was around 1200 so could have been. Very sad.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/20/2019 10:49 PM

Mullet Bay seems to have more sad things happen there year-after-year. The article doesn't say much, but this surely appears to be a medical condition. At first I thought the dreaded rip currents were back, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. But, for those not familiar with this beach it can be deceiving and the waves can strengthen quickly when conditions are right. This beach and Orient are two that I take extra caution with.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/21/2019 12:40 AM

Mullet Bay can go from bathwater calm to huge waves in an instant. Still one of my favorite beaches on the island but caution and alertness are necessary.
Posted By: pat

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/21/2019 12:51 AM

So very sad for all concerned - her family most of all but for all who were there to see this sad event play out.

Mullet Bay Beach was the first beach on the island we experienced all the way back to 1973 and it’s been our favorite ever since but it’s not always a swimmers delight. There are days when the waves lick the shores as gently as water splashing in your bathtub but there are also days when the waves roil and thrash and the strongest of swimmers might have issues.

We’ve seen surfers there on many occasions and we were there one day when the Soualiga Patrol came by and declared the beach closed and swimmers had to leave the water, but as soon as the patrol left they went right back in again.

This beach, like so many others is like the three faces of Eve. You need to be constantly aware and there are many days when it’s a great place to curl up on a lounge chair with a cold drink and a good book and soak up some sun but save the swimming for back at the pool.

We may never know if this sad day was the result of a health issue or a rogue wave, but regardless, I won’t go as far as to condemn this beach over so many others, since I’ve always had my own personal fears at Baie Rouge, Guana Bay, Cupecoy and even Simpson Bay at times to name but a few. The ocean can be very deceiving and always demands my full attention.

I offer my most sincere condolences to the family and friends of this victim and I hope it raises all our awareness as to how the ocean can be a tranquil haven or a roiling cauldron and we have to pay constant attention lest we become victims, too.
Posted By: deirdre1

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/21/2019 12:57 AM

Last week a man died on Maho. Not sure of the details. We were at Karakters (?) on Monday of this week and there was a CPR training session when we arrived a.t the beach.

Bob

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/21/2019 01:46 AM

Sad. Sorry to hear.

Incertainly dont know what happened but if as me tioned she came off a catamaran, that situation reminds me of what I see too often on ruise shore excursions of folks who dont swim much on a fun and aunny vacation getting into (sometimes having to jump) refreshing/shocking cool water thats over their head with no flotation and having to make it to shore with or without a surf. Alot of things can happen from one instant to the next especially as we get up in years and arent spring chickens.

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/21/2019 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanPirate
Sad. Sorry to hear.

Incertainly dont know what happened but if as me tioned she came off a catamaran, that situation reminds me of what I see too often on ruise shore excursions of folks who dont swim much on a fun and aunny vacation getting into (sometimes having to jump) refreshing/shocking cool water thats over their head with no flotation and having to make it to shore with or without a surf. Alot of things can happen from one instant to the next especially as we get up in years and arent spring chickens.

Pelican--Seriously?? Come on, man.. PLEASE read what you post.. Please..
Posted By: pat

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/21/2019 01:58 AM

I could be wrong about this but over many years and many island boat trips, I’ve yet to be on one where you had to swim to shore and couldn’t be dinghied in, and they’ve always, over I don’t know how many years, offered snorkel belts or at the very least, noodles for those who were uncertain or at the least, doubtful of their own swimming capabilities.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/21/2019 02:49 AM

Well the Island also lost a young gentleman after arriving from Holland and went swimming right after arriving a few days ago. Very sad indeed.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/21/2019 10:56 AM

Two thirds of people who drown are strong swimmers...

This article is worth reading...
https://alternative-doctor.com/news-stuff/two-thirds-of-people-who-drown-are-strong-swimmers/

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/21/2019 11:18 AM

Sorry, Unfortunately, i believe im developing cognitive impairment.

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/21/2019 11:42 AM

As it happens, yesterday was the calmest beach day at Mullet in our 3 week stay, practically no undertow. Our concern was about why this woman was not wearing a life preserver. However if she suffered a heart attack or stroke it wouldn’t have mattered.

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/21/2019 02:17 PM

Was she in fact coming off a boat? As otherwise there is no reason for her to have a life preserver at all. And due to her age, it could well have been a heart attack or stroke. The DH story says she 'went for a swim', which to me means she was just at the beach, not on a boat. Regardless, a very sad thing for her family and friends. It's a cautionary tale to all of us, tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.
Posted By: SurferMike

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/21/2019 03:32 PM

I said this once before and I think it needs to be repeated. If you’re in the water or on the shore and you know of any swimmers, keep an eye on them. Parents always have their eyes on their children who are in the water. It doesn’t matter the age, know your surroundings whether it’s a 5 year old or a 75 year old. Remember, there are no lifeguards around, we have to take their place and be on the lookout for our loved ones.

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/22/2019 12:14 AM

She definitely came off a crowded catamaran....

Re: Possible drowning at Mullet today - 02/22/2019 01:19 AM

OK, thanks. Regardless, a sad story.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline