TravelTalkOnline

Ric's

Posted By: SXMWendell

Ric's - 03/02/2019 01:32 AM

From Great bay entrance

Attached picture oldrics2.jpg
Posted By: irina

Re: Ric's - 03/02/2019 08:06 AM

I don't remember Ric's in Great Bay. Only the one by Simpson Bay Bridge.
This was way before my time........
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Ric's - 03/02/2019 11:20 AM

They started out just off of Olde St. and then moved to Front St. before moving to Simpson Bay. I know in 1991 they were at the original location and then moved to Front St. some time after that as we first went there off a cruise ship then.

I had an old email from Ric with the details and dates of the moves but it disappeared when my old system bite the dust. I stay in touch with Kathy some, she is remarried and lives between North Carolina and Florida.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Ric's - 03/02/2019 12:57 PM

I remember Ric's Place. Used to walk beach from Great Bay hotel to it. Sometimes beach was eroded and had to wade across a strip near start of Front Street to get there.
Posted By: DICKG

Re: Ric's - 03/02/2019 01:27 PM

Had lots of fun at Ric’s back then very busy good food ,can’t figure out why they ever moved
Posted By: DICKG

Re: Ric's - 03/02/2019 01:29 PM

There was also a place called I think Uncle Sams at the other end of the street great breakfasts

Re: Ric's - 03/02/2019 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by DICKG
Had lots of fun at Ric’s back then very busy good food ,can’t figure out why they ever moved

They moved as virtually all their business was cruise ship based so you had very little breakfast trade or evening trade in town. Moving to Simpson Bay gave them the chance to serve all day long and not rely basically on the cruise crowd.
Posted By: pat

Re: Ric's - 03/02/2019 02:42 PM

Location, location, location? Nothing ever really made it in the Simpson Bay spot, at least not at ground level.......

Wendell sure has evoked some memories with these photos of earlier island days.
Posted By: Coffee

Re: Ric's - 03/02/2019 02:59 PM

We enjoyed the place as well. From what I remember his place on Front Street was robbed a few times after closing and besides a few bottles of booze and cigarettes not much else was taken but damages were over $10,000 to the bar. He and Kathy decided to move to a safer area. He passed away from cancer I think at a young age. Jerry the bar tender has passed also. Great people and great memories.
Posted By: RICKnGRACE_LI_NY

Re: Ric's - 03/02/2019 04:13 PM

Were at the Great Bay location in ‘93 & ‘94. Moved to Simpson Bay sometime after Luis, if I recall correctly. We really liked Ric’s in both locations. But time marches on and businesses come and go.
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: Ric's - 03/04/2019 11:39 AM

didn't rics go away and get replaced by kansas city barbecue, which didn't last very lonmg, but i thot it was great

Re: Ric's - 03/04/2019 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by bizzottom
didn't rics go away and get replaced by kansas city barbecue, which didn't last very lonmg, but i thot it was great

Correct.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Ric's - 03/04/2019 02:07 PM

Is there anything in that building now, where Ric's and then the BBQ place were?

Re: Ric's - 03/04/2019 02:12 PM

Not sure about now but 2 years ago it was empty from what I recall.
Posted By: kccouple

Re: Ric's - 03/04/2019 03:30 PM

At the Simpson bay location, there was a nudie place above. Is that still there? The old front street location was fun and had a great happy hour, dollar beers and dollar vodka lemonades.
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: Ric's - 03/05/2019 11:12 AM

seemed like a great location for a business??? kinda strange
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Ric's - 03/05/2019 11:46 AM

It's empty. Golden eyes, which is now Red Diamond is above. Nothing has worked there since Ric's place gone. Bonita's Cantina was pretty bad.
Posted By: Bobben

Re: Ric's - 03/05/2019 01:24 PM

I remember the one dollar lemonades and absolute vodka she served on Front Street. She was always so cheerful and a hard worker.
Posted By: 2fingers

Re: Ric's - 03/05/2019 02:07 PM

Nice people, but we too didn't care for Bonita's the time we went to it. Got to talking to the owner about Ric's and he came out with 5 Ric's tank tops that he had in the back room and gave them to us which was super nice of him.
Anybody remember "Coconuts" which was in this location for a couple years before Ric's?

Re: Ric's - 03/05/2019 02:11 PM

Elaine--thanks. I thought there was nothing there when we were there in June, but couldn't remember for sure.

2fingers--I thought that Coconuts was where Toppers is now??

Re: Ric's - 03/05/2019 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Elaine--thanks. I thought there was nothing there when we were there in June, but couldn't remember for sure.

2fingers--I thought that Coconuts was where Toppers is now??

You are thinking of "Bananas" as that was where Topper's is now.

I remember the sign for Coconuts prior to Ric and Kathy moving Ric's there but I was never there.

Re: Ric's - 03/05/2019 02:42 PM

JD--yes, you're right. My bad.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Ric's - 03/05/2019 03:42 PM

I think your thinking about Bananas. They were there before Toppers present location..
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: Ric's - 03/05/2019 03:47 PM

Coconuts was the first restaurant that I could find open to eat something (no food for 2 days) after hurricane Bertha. Later Ric's opened up in that location.

Wendell
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline