TravelTalkOnline

Results from Heineken Regatta

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Results from Heineken Regatta - 03/04/2019 02:19 PM

Daily Herald story

Two things of interest to me, not really related to the outcomes. For whatever reason, I thought that the 12 meter boats had sunk during Irma. Glad to hear they are still sailing. And I've seen some of those kite surfers off of Orient Beach, and they seem to be flying, but can't imagine one of them circumnavigating the island in an hour and a half! Wow.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Results from Heineken Regatta - 03/04/2019 02:23 PM

I thought they were destroyed also but perhaps nor or these are other boats using the same name. No idea really.

I saw a chart elsewhere of the various classes and it appeared to be about 120 total boats, which as you know is down a lot from the pre-Irma Regatta days.

Re: Results from Heineken Regatta - 03/04/2019 02:31 PM

OK, would be interesting to know, on the 12 meter boats. As far as total number of boats, at one time, I think they were up around 300..
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Results from Heineken Regatta - 03/04/2019 03:22 PM

That number sounds about right.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Results from Heineken Regatta - 03/04/2019 08:43 PM

The 12 metre boats have moved over to Dock Maarten. I know the shipyard there had one of them under repair. One of the Stars & Stripes / US56 had gone to Cozumel, Canada II (Candy) had Irma damage but is now back in the water, as is True North IV (Ivy) and she has a new mast. They are currently sailing 3 boats but S&S / US55 will be back in the water soon as well!

This is their first regatta in 12 years. Welcome back 12M!

Did you know that 12 Metre Class sailboats are so called NOT because of their overall length, but because they must conform to a formula! The formula takes into consideration various measurements of the vessel and the result must not exceed 12 metres. In fact, these sailboats are approximately 70 feet long with 86 foot masts and weigh in at approximately thirty-five tons.
Posted By: soualigacapt

Re: Results from Heineken Regatta - 03/04/2019 08:48 PM

119 boats this year.

Re: Results from Heineken Regatta - 03/04/2019 09:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I never knew that, about their name, but if I had thought about it, I would have realized that there is no way that is their length.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Results from Heineken Regatta - 03/05/2019 10:48 AM

We saw those kite surfers yesterday and they were blazing across the sea! Never seen them over here before, they were moving! Pretty sure they had hydrofoils to go that fast.

Re: Results from Heineken Regatta - 03/06/2019 01:33 PM

Kite boarding around the island

[Linked Image]

Re: Results from Heineken Regatta - 03/06/2019 02:04 PM

Cool picture, thanks!
Posted By: dolfer

Re: Results from Heineken Regatta - 03/06/2019 02:54 PM

I believe the picture shows kite boarding on a hydrofoil board. The only thing touching the water at speed is the foil. Super fast and agile.

Re: Results from Heineken Regatta - 03/06/2019 04:53 PM

Yep. A lot of that here.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline