TravelTalkOnline

Any Issues with Mosquito's?

Posted By: RickandJulie

Any Issues with Mosquito's? - 03/06/2019 01:24 PM

Coming down in 3 weeks and I haven't heard anyone talking about the mosquito population of late. For those who might currently be on the island is it a concern?

Thanks.
Posted By: SandS

Re: Any Issues with Mosquito's? - 03/06/2019 01:32 PM

Never saw them but got bit quite a few times in February. I usually never get bit.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Any Issues with Mosquito's? - 03/06/2019 01:37 PM

Stay away from vegetation if possible and hope for a light wind as that keeps them away also.
Posted By: RunnernReader

Re: Any Issues with Mosquito's? - 03/06/2019 01:55 PM

Hey R&J,
We've been on the French Side for 5 weeks now ..granted at Mont Vernon ... north-eastern end of Orient ...lot's of wind this year ..and we're on the outer edge of the establishment, upper balcony ..... we're in the wind here!

But .. haven't seen any ... leave out balcony open (hurricane shutter down to the railing every night) ..NO bites (and may I say that we KNOW mosquitoes!, having a summer home in Muskoka Lakes area, north of Toronto, Ontario ...(in the words of one of our best rock bands ever, Bachman Turner Overdrive ..... "Ya ain't seen nothin yet! " We have those critters to Excess!"

REPEAT ..haven't seen one!!! .. But after dark some of the restaurants outta the wind may have those critters!

BUT ..and I repeat BUT ..our friend went swimming at ex-Papagalo's rocks and got badly bitten by SAND-FLEAS ...according to a local doctor ..."sand fleas are a crustacean.." UGLY bites ....got Antibiotique Cream at local Pharmacy.

Travel Safe
RR
Posted By: Doc Bill

Re: Any Issues with Mosquito's? - 03/06/2019 03:36 PM

Was there 3 weeks in Feb. Seemed more windy than past years. Mosquitoes not as bad in past. Dusk with no breeze would recommend spray with Deet.
Posted By: Allison731

Re: Any Issues with Mosquito's? - 03/06/2019 04:08 PM

I’m sweet blooded and attract mosquitos left and right. It’s nothing a little Repel can’t fix.
Posted By: RickandJulie

Re: Any Issues with Mosquito's? - 03/06/2019 05:45 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. We always have Mosquito repellent with us, but will hoping we won't have to use it much.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: Any Issues with Mosquito's? - 03/06/2019 07:41 PM

We have never encountered mosquitos in March or April, but have often traveled with mosquito wipes in our carry on so it doesn't count against our liquids.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Any Issues with Mosquito's? - 03/06/2019 10:20 PM

Last March was the first time I was bothered by mosquitoes on the island. We were at Mario's and the waiter brought out spray so Iw asked away from table into courtyard and used it.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Any Issues with Mosquito's? - 03/07/2019 12:20 PM

At Simpson Bay Resort right now, Marina building 3rd floor so close to the water. Got 1 bite the 1st morning before I sprayed on the Off. I light a citronella candle every morning. It's fairly breezy too so that all helps. Haven't had a bite or seen any since.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline