TravelTalkOnline

Italian food

Posted By: greg1

Italian food - 03/08/2019 12:16 AM

Where is a good place to get Italian food near Simpson Bay Resort at a reasonable price.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Italian food - 03/08/2019 12:21 AM

Yes. Isola. Very good and reasonable. Marko runs it and used to be at Izi. Isola is much better than Izi and right where you are staying.
Posted By: bigbobthib

Re: Italian food - 03/08/2019 01:17 AM

Drive to Mark's Place . So good Chicken Parm!

Re: Italian food - 03/08/2019 01:31 AM

OP wanted something close to SBR. Mark's is good but now where close to the resort.
Posted By: SandS

Re: Italian food - 03/08/2019 03:46 AM

Izi is good and not very far. I think it might be a little less expensive than Isola.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Italian food - 03/08/2019 02:05 PM

Sale & Pepe is close also. Reviews are mixed--many people love it, others don't.
Posted By: Doc Bill

Re: Italian food - 03/08/2019 02:18 PM

Sal y Pepe excellent and close but not inexpensive. I was told Davide is moving to a lagoon side location near the gas station. I look forward to that as his place is small. Cannot understand "mixed reviews". I know Italian food and have eaten there many times. Never had a bad meal.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Italian food - 03/08/2019 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Bill
Sal y Pepe excellent and close but not inexpensive. I was told Davide is moving to a lagoon side location near the gas station. I look forward to that as his place is small. Cannot understand "mixed reviews". I know Italian food and have eaten there many times. Never had a bad meal.

I ate there 2 years ago and it was fine but I was not overly impressed. It seems most "mixed reviews" are due to service more than food.

I like Izi and have not tried Isola yet but with Marco running it, I would imagine it to be good.
Posted By: pat

Re: Italian food - 03/08/2019 02:48 PM

When we want really good Italian on Island we generally head to La Rosa Too at Maho - not in Simpson Bay but certainly not too far away either - or our alternate choice, definitely Sal and Pepe, though we’ve only eaten there a few times. We haven’t been since November but our food and service were both excellent that trip. We were not huge fans of Izi, which we thought was a bit too loud and too close although the food was not bad at all, and we’ve never made it to Isola. Sounds like we may have to next trip. I’ve also heard the Spaghetti House in Jordan Village at Cupecoy is very good and very reasonable.

Re: Italian food - 03/08/2019 03:46 PM

Prices are pretty comparable at Izi and Isola. I find that menu selection much better at Isola.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Italian food - 03/08/2019 11:46 PM

We have been to the above mentioned and feel Isola and Izi are both very good!!

The service at Isola and the Chilean Sea Bass special was the best I ever had!!

Sale e Pepe needs some training for their employees. I have said it along with others,
there is no reason to be rude to your customers.

They are both near your resort. smile
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Italian food - 03/09/2019 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by greg1
Where is a good place to get Italian food near Simpson Bay Resort at a reasonable price.

So many types and regions of food for Italian. Northern, Southern, Sicilian. White sauces, red sauces, fish, meat, Italian food is diverse.

Sale e Pepe is EXCELLENT Sicilian type Italian.

And yes, Chef Davide is opening a new location across the street and next to the gas station with water views of the lagoon. The interior is BEAUTIFUL with interior decor being brought in from Italy. Tiles, etc.

Sale e Pepe is a lovely dining experience. Those who nay-say are the same every time this topic comes up. It is exhausting.

Re: Italian food - 03/09/2019 04:32 AM

Yep. Like me.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Italian food - 03/09/2019 05:06 PM

I agree I enjoyed my dining experience there. The new location in the lovely new building on the water side will make for a perfect experience!
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Italian food - 03/10/2019 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
Originally Posted by greg1

So many types and regions of food for Italian. Northern, Southern, Sicilian. White sauces, red sauces, fish, meat, Italian food is diverse.

Sale e Pepe is EXCELLENT Sicilian type Italian.

And yes, Chef Davide is opening a new location across the street and next to the gas station with water views of the lagoon. The interior is BEAUTIFUL with interior decor being brought in from Italy. Tiles, etc.

Sale e Pepe is a lovely dining experience. Those who nay-say are the same every time this topic comes up. It is exhausting.

Yes, I have commented on S&P more than once, but if NEW people ask, I don't believe they want just one-sided opinions.
I certainly don't do it on every post, because there are plenty on Facebook that I read and ignore.

We have been going to SXM since the 80's, and I think I have mentioned 2 restaurants, that we would never return
to---- and it wasn't about the food being off that night or having to wait for our dinners, it was about being treated very badly.

Sorry this bothers you, but I think my answer is as important as someone else mentioning, over and over, how good it is. Sorry to tire you out. smile
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Italian food - 03/10/2019 09:29 PM

Agreed. There is room here for contrasting opinions.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Italian food - 03/10/2019 11:35 PM

I would recommend Isola. It's close and the food is good. I also enjoy Sale Y Pepe at the bottom of the hill. Not as close, but in my opinion, better.
Posted By: LINNY

Re: Italian food - 03/11/2019 09:54 PM

Totally agree
Posted By: EdB

Re: Italian food - 03/22/2019 01:21 PM

We went to Isola the other night for the first time. Found it to be EXCELLENT. All four of us enjoyed every last bit. I had a delicious dish with spaghetti, fish, shrimp, mussells, and clams. It was great. I put it right up there with Izi, and all the better Italian places on the island. I am sure we will return there again.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Italian food - 03/22/2019 01:23 PM

Izi was as good and busy as always.

Isola had a good crowd, very attentive service and great brick oven pizza.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Italian food - 03/22/2019 02:45 PM

Excellent, authentic and reasonable? Spaghetti House in Cupecoy. Home made pasta and sauces.

Re: Italian food - 03/22/2019 03:07 PM

Glad you enjoyed Isola. It's our go to place for authentic Italian food. Service and food always good and Marco very colorful.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Italian food - 03/22/2019 04:22 PM

We went to Isola the other night. We had an EXCELLENT meal. Great service from our server Natasha. We've gotten a couple of carryout pizzas from them while we've been here and have been very favorably impressed, far better than the one we got from LaPatron.

Re: Italian food - 03/22/2019 05:04 PM

Being that LaPatron is a Mexican restaurant they would never compare to an Italian.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline